Jefferson trade one of the best in (Bucks') team history? heh.

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by pegs, Sep 26, 2008.

1. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Redd looking forward to big season - Charles F. Gardner, Milwaukee JS Online

Just thought I would share this.

Does anyone agree with this?
    [crickets]
    Anyone?

That's a bit of a joke.

2. networks

networks Member

I am going to keep track of how the Bucks do. I want to see how the Redd/Jefferson combo works.

3. jirohkanzaki

jirohkanzaki Member

it was a great trade for the bucks since they want to win now and can do it better with rj instead of simmons and yi but if the trade is one of the best in the bucks' history then that's just sad for milwaukee...

4. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

The Bucks traded for Oscar Robertson

5. Netted

Netted Member

The success of the trade can't be determined until we see how Milwaukee performs and how well Yi develops.

Anything said now is just speculation to gain support from the fans.

6. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

It's not best, but one of the best.

Considering what they gave up... maybe.

-Petey

7. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

The Bucks history is filled with horrible trades, so it isn't difficult to make the one of the best list. Dirk for Tractor Traylor anyone?

8. Malorkayel

Malorkayel Member

My crystal ball ran out of batteries.

Edit: I loved how Redd hyped riding the bench as helping to win gold.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  9. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

Bucks traded of two players they wanted to get rid of for a very good player that should do well under Skiles.

Bucks best trade, I don't know.

But a good trade for them, and possibly also a good trade for the Nets.

The fact that Bucks didn't have to give up a draft pick in the trade is definitely a plus for them.

10. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

They WANTED to get rid of Yi? Only because they had completely screwed up their roster and overloaded it with overpaid big men. it was one of the dumbest draft picks ever, not because Yi wasn't worth it, but because of their roster and because he had told them he didnt want to be there.

To say it's one of the Bucks' best trades ever is 1) over the top since no one intelligent guages a trade, particularly one in which the three players are 28, 28 and 20, until at least a year or two has past and 2) not that big of a deal because, as cpawfan notes, that bar is not very high.

The Nets didnt make that trade for this year. If it fails, it will because Kiki's assessment of Yi's long term development was dead wrong. If it succeeds, it helps the Nets with both the foundation and cap space needed for further flexibility, either in 2009, 2010 or 2011.

11. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

Yes, Bucks wanted to get rid of Yi. I think that is obvious in that THE BUCKS DID GET RID OF YI. Many reports stated that Bucks didn't like having to deal with the Chinese officials that were concerned about Yi's treatmeant by the Bucks.

And I didn't say it was the Bucks best trade. I said it was a good trade, possibly for both teams.

12. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

[​IMG]

weird.

13. DennisRodman

DennisRodman Suspended

Wow, I don't know why, but that doesn't even look like Jefferson to me.
    [​IMG]

14. soul driver

soul driver Member

newest member of the bucks!?
    [​IMG]

15. cLokwerk

cLokwerk Member

This isn't true. When John Hammond took the GM job he identified Yi and Bogut as their two most valuable players. He labeled them the building blocks of the franchise moving forward. He also praised Michael Redd to a lesser extent. His plan was to move certain players (namely Villanueva and Mo Williams) and try to make the team a playoff contender immediately. If you search through the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel archives, and listen to Hammond's interviews on Milwaukee's local sports radio stations, you'll see this.

The plan to build around Yi, Bogut, and Redd changed when Kiki came calling. When RJ became available, the Bucks wanted him, especially Skiles. They offered a variety of deals to the Nets, almost all of which included Charlie Villanueva. According to the Bucks post-game show host (on ESPN 540, Milwaukee) the Bucks offered Villanueva and a first round pick for RJ. Kiki turned down all offers from the Bucks that did not involve Yi. Eventually Hammond agreed to the Yi/Simmons deal.

Though dealing with the Chinese government can be a pain in the ass, Milwaukee had every intention of keeping Yi. Hammond and Skiles even had plans to fly to China to visit Yi, watch him train with the CNT, and watch the Olympics.

In the end, getting RJ fulfilled a lot of things the Bucks wanted this year. They had to find a SF to fill their weakest postion, they wanted a name guy who fans know to get them excited about Bucks basketball again, and they wanted to win immediately. Ultimately the Bucks decided that gaining these things was more valuable then keeping their young prospect. As Hammond said after the trade, "you have to give talent to get talent."

But make no mistake, if Hammond had his way, he would've gone into this season with a starting line-up of Bogut/Yi/Jefferson/Redd/Ridnour.

16. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

Okay, if that's what you want to believe. But the Bucks traded big for small. They traded Yi for a player the Nets wanted to shed. I believe the Bucks wanted to get rid of Yi, and the fact that they did, in fact, get rid of Yi leads me to the conclusion that I am correct.

I suppose I could be wrong, but nothing I've observed thus far makes me believe that I am.

Remember, the hierarchy of NBA teams generally lies to the press, when and if it fits their needs.

17. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

Why would he do well under Skiles?

Skiles is like a cult leader who hypes playing hard for all 48 minutes and hustling on both ends.

RJ sometimes talks like he believes in that, but that's where it ends with him.

18. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

I've actually seen RJ play like he believes that, PLUS, I believe he is pissed off about the trade and feels he has something to prove.

Vince talks like he believes in playing hard also, but I've seen that so much more from RJ than I have from Vince.

Should be interesting to see how this coming season plays out.

19. allnet5-21

allnet5-21 New Member

we have to judge this trade in two years, if yi is averaging 15 and 9 and we sign lebron or some other big name then we get the betterr, if he busts and rj ends up averaging 19 6 and 3 like he use to along with his defense comin back and the bucks start winning plus we dnt get lbj then they got the betterr

20. allnet5-21

allnet5-21 New Member

as for being one of the best, they have traded great players i.e. ray allen, kareem..... but their best trade will always be for oscar robertson.