Jimenez sharp in return against Dodgers

Discussion in 'National League West' started by truebluefan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"Thumbs up on Ubaldo Jimenez.

"Ubaldo was Ubaldo today," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said Monday afternoon.

At this point, isn't that enough said? If not, all you had to do was check out the radar gun, where Jimenez, after hitting 89-93 mph in his Cactus League debut, amped it up to 91-98 in three scoreless innings against the Dodgers.

"The first game, I just didn't want to throw hard, but today I wanted to let it go a little bit," Jimenez said. "I felt good. I didn't even think about my nail or my finger. I was just going to go out there and try to throw strikes."

Jimenez missed his previous start after having an infected cuticle on his right thumb drained. Any questions about his health were put to rest early in Monday's proceedings at Salt River Fields, where he walked one and allowed one hit.

The only question remaining is, when is Tracy going to get around to stating the obvious by announcing that Jimenez will start opening day against the Diamondbacks at Coors Field? Soon, very soon.

"That will be a heck of an announcement, won't it?" Tracy said. "I know that will be a grand announcement for all of you when I make that.""

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_17560842