JJ Signs Hawks' Offer Sheet

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by 44Thrilla, Jul 29, 2005.

1. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

They just said it on ESPNEWS. Apparently it's 5 yrs., 70 million and Johnson has asked the Suns NOT to match the offer, as he wants out of Phoenix.

2. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

In the Suns forum I looked at this from a Suns perspective so here I will look at it from a Hawks perspective. It is a great signing it automatically gives the Hawks one of the youngest and most versatile lineups in the NBA. One problem if leaves them however is what lineup will they play if they use a lineup with Josh Smith at the four and Marvin Williams at the three it will leave them with a very undersized power forward, and who knows who they will play at center. I do not think they can play Josh Smith as a power forward for consistent minutes unless he can rebound with the consistency of Shawn Marion something he has not shown he can do as of yet.

They will however have a pretty lengthy back court with Josh Childress and Joe Johnson (if they use him as a point guard) I think it will be a team made up sort of like the Nets were put together last season. A tall backcourt, but at the same time an undersized front court. The Hawks in my opinion on their current roster have six good players who could play a consistent role on that team Joe Johnson, Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, Salim Stoudamire, and Boris Diaw. I did not count Al Harrington, because I feel they will trade him this off-season sometime. When they do trade him they will need to acquire two or three good role players. A center and some good bench players are really what they lack right now. Jason Collier can not be your starting center if you intend on making a run at the playoffs.

Hell this post shows how much of a impact JJ would have on this franchise I am mentioning the words Atlanta Hawk and playoffs in the same sentence without using the words not or won?t. Anyway, I feel they should make a run at a Steven Hunter while they still got a chance a good unrestricted free agent who you know once you sign he is yours. They are wasting too much of their efforts on Curry and other restricted players right now in my mind.

3. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Well Josh has bulked up and is an excellent shot blocker and a good rebounder. He and Marvin can switch at times between SF and PF. If the Hawks get Johnson and a servicable center they could contend for the playoffs IMO. I don't think they will make it, but I think they will be in the race.

4. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

if anyone has seen the pics of Josh smith in the summer league, they would know that he can play PF. they guy is RIPPED. anyway, best kept secret, i agree with you that we need to get some unrestricted FAs. we should definately go after hunter, but i think we need to go after earl watson HARD.

5. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

It sounds like Joe Johnson wants to step and be the leader of this team and be the franchise player. He obviously wants to have a bigger role then he did in Phoenix or he wouldn't have asked a championship contender to let him go. I think this is a great move for the Hawks because Johnson is a great shooter and he is a shut down defender. In a few years, I see Johnson as a Michael Redd type of player. Both players are good defenders and can shoot from the perimeter and both are on teams that are trying to change from a losing franchise to a playoff team. This signing is their first step to becoming a better team and if they can sway some more free agents into Atlanta in the next couple of years and if all their young stars develop, the Hawks could be a playoff team in a few years.

6. Bobcats

Michael Redd doesn't play like Joe Johnson at all. Redd is nowhere close to the defender Johnson is, has trouble creating his own shot, and is nowhere near the slasher JJ is. They don't have that many similarities at all except that they are both lights out shooters.

7. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">Michael Redd doesn't play like Joe Johnson at all. Redd is nowhere close to the defender Johnson is, has trouble creating his own shot, and is nowhere near the slasher JJ is. They don't have that many similarities at all except that they are both lights out shooters.</div>
    They are in similar situations with their teams. Both teams are trying to improve and become a playoff team. Each has been in the lottery the last few years and are trying to bounce back.

8. Bobcats

Well you said Johnson could turn into a Michael Redd type player. They arn't even close in similiarities as players.

9. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

24 year old 6"7 230 PG/SG/SF who shoots 46% FG 47% 3pt % 5 rebs...4 assist 1.8 TO's and a good defender...Johnson adds alot to this team, but i still need Hawks need another PG a veteran guy like Brevin Knight to run this young squad.

10. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

^ we have a good veteran PG. tony delk.