Joba And Hughes Dominate As Yankees Win

Discussion in 'American League East' started by YankeesDaily, Jul 19, 2009.

1. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

The New York Yankees won over the Detroit Tigers by a score of 2-1. Joba Chamberlain started and got the win. Mariano Rivera got the save.

I was impressed with Joba today. I wasn’t sure if he was going to pitch well. In fact, I actually thought he was going to get rocked. He used all of his pitches today and was throwing 97 mph in the 7th inning. Impressive.

If Joba failed today, Brian Cashman might of had to get on the phone and look for another starter but Joba didn’t allow him to do that.

I don’t know why the Yankees think they have to use Hughes as a starter. He’s so dominant in the bull pen. Why try to fix something that isn’t broken? At one time, Hughes, Aceves and Coke were thought of as starters. The Yankees wouldn’t be where they are now with out them being converted to relievers. Even though they’re thought as starters, it’s nice to know they could succeed in the bull pen if things never work out starting.

The offense didn’t explode like it usually does but games like this is what wins championships. Pitching. It always comes down to pitching. The Yankees did the same thing yesterday and won. All three games were close which is good news because it shows the Yankees could win close games especially when the playoff start.

Player of the Game: Joba Chamberlain Hopefully this is the Joba of the future.

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I'm loving Hughes out of the 'pen. He's up to what, 21.1 straight scoreless IP, something like that? He's been absolutely unhittable. His fastball has been consistently hitting 95-97 recently and he's been that 8th inning guy that Joba was until we moved him to the starting rotation. Hopefully we keep Hughes here, because he could be a dominant SU or CL if we keep him there.

3. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

I'd like to see him as the future closer as well. He's shown he has the stuff.