Juan Dixon, Home No More

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Juan Dixon no longer is the against-all-odds kid, the guy who overcame the drug-induced, AIDS-related deaths of his parents and became a prep superstar in Baltimore.
    He is not the undersized, overachieving All-American who took the Maryland Terrapins to two Final Fours and a national championship.
    He no longer is a prospect looking to prove he belongs in the NBA.
    Instead, Dixon is entering another phase of life, on and off the court.
    He married his high-school sweetheart, Robyn Bragg, last month in a lavish ceremony in front of childhood friends, Terps coach Gary Williams and Washington Wizards and Terps teammates Steve Blake and Laron Profit.
    The 26-year-old soon will leave the area for the first time and relocate to the Pacific Northwest. He was a productive player for the Wizards the last three seasons, but the team showed little interest in keeping Dixon, perhaps their most popular player, prompting him to accept a three-year, $8?million contract from the Portland Trail Blazers.
    "I am a man now," said Dixon, whom the Wizards took with the 17th pick overall in 2002. "I did a lot of growing up. I am about to be on my own, but I have my wife with me. It definitely feels good."
    Dixon visited the Seattle SuperSonics and had substantive talks with the Indiana Pacers, Cleveland Cavaliers and New Jersey Nets. But the Trail Blazers told him there was plenty of available playing time, and the organization's aggressive attitude sealed the deal. </div>

Source