OT Judge: Teen must repay $37M for starting Oregon wildfire

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Boob-No-More, May 21, 2018.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Orion Bailey, PDXFonz and Chris Craig like this.
  2. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

I disagree. Especially as males, you know we are completely stupid at that age. I believe he deserves consequences but nothing this crazy. I have hiked those trails and grew up going to multnomah falls like a lot of people. This kid is gonna end up killing himself when he gets older or something. Nobody can pay that and he will be forever in debt. That’s not teaching him a lesson, especially when he gets older and realizes how stupid he was at 15. I look a comments from people on Facebook and wherever else saying they are glad about this. I think it’s pathetic by the people of this state. All adults just wanting to see this kid fry for this. It’s nuts

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't think this has anything to do with a pyromaniac's intention....I've taught teens and raised my own children...I can't imagine any of them being that stupid.....he'll never pay it off but he's going to be in debt for life. This level of destructive behavior is not the norm. Hardworking people who built their homes here got fried...not this kid.

4. Cippy91

I understand that thinking but I also fail to understand the logic to wanting this kids life to be ruined. I don’t understand why everybody wants to view every 15 year old as victims until they are the one to do something bad, then adults want to try and have them treated as adults as if they knew the consequences of what they were doing or were smart enough. With that logic, I guess every 15 year old girl or boy are responsible for every action, even when they are victims because they knew what they were doing the whole time so they should just deal with it. I could understand something like murder. That’s in need of some psych ward treatment. However this is completely different. This is a dumb decision he will look back on as dumb but still be in debt. He will never have a normal life or make any sort of a living. The same adults on here claiming they have so much empathy want to see a 15 year olds life ruined for a dumb 15 year old like decision

BonesJones likes this.
  5. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

I don't know why a female teacher would go to prison for sleeping with him because he's a kid if he can be held responsible for 37 million bucks for something he does at 15. Seems hypocritical.

BonesJones likes this.
  6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I would never assume this....he might love watching the world burn...he may be a pyromaniac by nature and his age has nothing to do with that...or a murder or violent crime....the victims are people who's lives he destroyed forever ….if he burned my property to the ground I wouldn't shrug and say....kids will be kids..fact is...we don't know this kid but I'm sure the prosecuting attorney knew enough to not plea bargain.

7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

This all goes away in 10 years if he stays out of trouble and does his community service.

If the judge had reduced the financial penalty that would have set precedence that other people who do similar acts like this could have cited and used to get their financial penalties reduced. This isn't about the kid, whether it was $100,000, $1 mill, or $37 mil, this kid is never going to pay it back. But there are adults and businesses that do damage and harm to our greatest state resource that should be held accountable.

@Cippy91 if you are really worried about this kid you can start a gofundme campaign to pay off the $37 mill for him.

riverman likes this.
  8. Cippy91

America does this thing. It’s odd. Every person 16 and below is a victim until they do something bad. Then all of a sudden they should be treated as adults in court. Yet the case they make for when they decide the kids are victims is “they are only this old, they don’t know better”. Now al of a sudden people wanna tell me this 15 year old has his shit figured out and new what he was doing therefor he should suffer the rest of his life. I don’t get that. I don’t think he should get by with a slap on the wrist. I think he deserves some form of punishment and I believed they could of done that without making him in debt the rest of his life

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  9. Cippy91

I mean yeah he might be. Only time will tell though right? I mean generally you don’t see mental illnesses come out like that till they reach their early 20’s so yeah maybe this kid does grow up and doesn’t give a shit. The issue is, I don’t know the future for him or what he will be like. That’s just a possible outcome out of many

10. SlyPokerDog

He's not in debt for the rest of his life.

The most that can be taken from his earnings is 25% after tax. That is not ruining his life.

11. Cippy91

What I’m concerned about is this country holding a 15 year old accountable while very corrupt adults out there get away with way more and don’t get ordered to pay this or do time. I personally think that sets a bad precedent in itself. But hey if you can get in with the politicians, get in that one percent. You can fuck people over all the time and do illegal shit and never be held responsible. Yet here we are wanting a 15 year old to be in debt for 10 years. So in 10 years when he is 25, he will just be starting his life because of this. Sure, I guess fight fire with more fire. Hate with hate. It’s always been the answer in this country anyways

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  12. Cippy91

For ten years?! That’s huge. I bet none of that money will even go towards the right cause

13. SlyPokerDog

Cool, so you don't think as 15 year should be held accountable.

14. Cippy91

I actually just said he should be held accountable, just not put in debt for 10 years. If you read my posts you would see this

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

nah....a 15 year old kid who gets away with that kind of destruction will grow up thinking he can get away with shit....that's the precedent...hell he might become a politician

PDXFonz likes this.
  16. SlyPokerDog

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Seriously, all he has to do is enlist in the military and serve until he's 25 years old.

17. SlyPokerDog

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It takes most college grads that long to pay off their student loans without hurting anyone else in the process...10 years of debt isn't ruining his life but burning down the forest brought on his debt...that's being accountable..actions have consequences...even fucking Martha Stewart went to jail

19. Cippy91

Sly please for once read my posts in full. How does what I said there make sense when I just said he should be held accountable but in a different way. Well shit I must of meant to add something to that. Like dude sometimes I think you just want to be right all the time so you just pick and choose what you want out of my posts. Yes I said that but I obviously meant to add more to it and you would know that if you read my previous posts that he should get some form of consequence, just not this

20. Cippy91

Nobody wants to serve in the military to fight other people’s wars and the people that do are looking for easy money these days to sit on a base and do practically nothing.