JustBBall 2006 Mock Draft v1.0

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Shapecity, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

by Voodoo Child & Shapecity

[​IMG]

All season long JustBBall will modify and update the 2006 and 2007 NBA Mock Drafts. The draft order will initially be determined by the top talent at he college and international levels of basketball. A lot of guess work is put in to who will actually declare early and be eligible for the draft, and also which players we feel will return to college or stay overseas. As the official draft date approaches, the order will be determined based on the NBA standings and actual needs of those teams.

<div align="center">JBB 2006 Mock Draft</div>

<u>Round 1</u>

1) Andrea Bargnani - Italy
    2) Rudy Gay - Connecticut
    3) LaMarcus Aldridge - Texas
    4) Sergio Rodriguez - Spain
    5) Adam Morrison - Gonzaga
    6) Tiago Splitter - Brazil/Spain
    7) Mardy Collins - Temple
    8) Ronnie Brewer - Arkansas
    9) Shelden Williams - Duke
    10) Josh Boone - Connecticut
    11) Guillermo Diaz - Miami
    12) Nemanja Aleksandrov - Serbia
    13) Hassan Adams - Arizona
    14) Dee Brown - Illinois
    15) Marko Tomas - Croatia
    16) Uros Tripkovic - Yugoslavia
    17) Rodney Carney - Memphis
    18) J.J. Redick - Duke
    19) Juan Palacios - Louisville
    20) Paul Davis - Michigan State
    21) Taj Gray - Oklahoma
    22) Brandon Rush - IMG Academy
    23) Nick Fazekas - Nevada
    24) Maurice Ager - Michigan State
    25) Vladimir Vermeenko - Belarus
    26) Torin Francis - Notre Dame
    27) Matt Haryasz - Stanford
    28) Kosta Perovic - Serbia
    29) Micah Downs - Kansas
    30) Rudy Fernandez - Spain

<u>Round 2 </u>

31) Justin Gray - Wake Forest
    32) Curtis Stinson - Iowa State
    33) Steven Smith - La Salle
    34) Thabo Sefolosha - Switzerland
    35) Craig Smith - Boston College
    36) Brandon Roy - Washington
    37) Gerry McNamara - Syracuse
    38) Eric Williams - Wake Forest
    39) Jason Fraser - Villanova
    40) Curtis Sumpter - Villanova
    41) Vincent Grier - Minnesota
    42) Mohamed Kone - Baylor
    43) Marko Lekic - Yugoslavia
    44) Daniel Horton - Michigan
    45) James Augustine - Illinois
    46) Viktor Keirou - Russia
    47) Chucky Davis - Alabama
    48) Pops Mensah-Bonsu - George Washington
    49) Allan Ray - Villanova
    50) Taquan Dean - Louisville
    51) Nik Caner-Medley - Maryland
    52) Denham Brown - Connecticut
    53) Tang Zhengdong - China
    54) James White - Cincinnati
    55) J.P. Batista - Gonzaga
    56) Carl Landry - Purdue
    57) Chris McCray - Maryland
    58) Terence Dials - Ohio State
    59) Julian Sensley - Hawaii
    60) Curtis Withers - Charlotte

<u>Just Outside:</u>

Tim Smith, Chris Hernandez, Kevin Pittsnogle

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I was surprised but happy that Diaz and Boone were that high. But I think Redick shouldn't be that high. He's a late first round pick for sure.

3. MiamiBalla12

MiamiBalla12 JBB Light-Skinned Assassin

Yeah, its good to see Diaz this high. He's a great player with great leaping ability and an improving jumpshot. The only question is can he play Point at the next level.

4. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting miamiballa12:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, its good to see Diaz this high. He's a great player with great leaping ability and an improving jumpshot. The only question is can he play Point at the next level.</div>

I agree, finally some props for Guillermo. I was a little upset that Rob Hite wasn't included, but I'm sure if he doesn't get drafted, he'll get a chance to prove himself in next years summer league.

5. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting R_ChutneY:</div><div class="quote_post">I was surprised but happy that Diaz and Boone were that high. But I think Redick should be that high. He's a late first round pick for sure.</div>
    It's possible, but you take a look last year at how far Salim Stoudemire dropped in the draft. Sure, Salim is a tweener, but JJ Reddick at 6-4 trying to play SG in the NBA is going to make his stock drop. He's shorter than most scouts would like, and is not athletic enough or quick enough to guard most of the SGs in the league.

SG is one of the deepest positions in the league as far as talent goes, just imagine JJ Reddick having to guard Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen, Dwayne Wade, Jason Richardson, he'll get destroyed by any of those guys.

If JJ Reddick can demonstrate he can play PG, then things could get interesting for him. At 6-4 and being a lights out shooter, scouts will be all over him and willing to overlook his defensive liabilities.

6. playmaker15

can you explain why you left Rob Hite off the list for me.

7. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting playmaker31:</div><div class="quote_post">can you explain why you left Rob Hite off the list for me.</div>
    Sorry I keep forgetting to respond about him. His name was tossed around, but the question is how much better can he get? Is he capable of being an everyday PG. Rob Hite can put the ball in the bucket, but his Ast/To ratio is atrocious and he looks to be more of a SG than a PG. Now at 6-2, he's not even going to be considered for the NBA as a SG.

This past mock we saw players like Eddie Basden, Alan Anderson, and John Gilchrist go undrafted. At the end of the day, Hite is not better than any of those players and until he shows more than being able to score, he's not better than any of the players ranked ahead of him in v1.

8. playmaker15

Thanks, just wanted some clarification on that

9. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I see there is a certain team having players picked high( [​IMG] Michigan St.) Paul Davis pretty darn high, over players like Taj Gray, Justin Gray, Nick Fazekas, Rudy Fernandez, and some others. Maurice Ager I think deserves that place though, but Still can't believe Justin Gray is so low, I thought he would be a top 25 pick, he has every skill a PG needs, IMO he was better than Chris Paul last 2 years. What about Kevin Pittsnogle? James Augustine was picked over Pittsnogle, cmon who wouldn't not want to here that name said on draft day. I think J.P. Bautista will improve his stock this year and be a early-2nd rounder.

10. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Allen Ray out of Villanova seems a bit low for me. With Nova looking like they are going to have a shot at the title this years that usually means a player's stock would increase. If Villanova can crack the final four this year I can see Ray as a late lottery to late first round pick. If not I can just see him as a late first round pick, he has too much talent to pass up. I like where you guys have Ronnie Brewer and Mardy Collins in this, both are 6'6"/6'7" and have the ability to play either position in the backcourt, something that a lot of teams would like to see. When I think Ronnie Brewer, I think Joe Johnson as well, with the same height, the ability to play both positions in the backcourt and the fact that they are both from Arkansas. Good job on this, very early to tell but I think you guys nailed it from what we know at this point.

11. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

you guys missed Hite, and Barea [​IMG]

Hite has a 40 inch vertical leap, and is one of the best guards in the ACC. he has to atleast get 2nd round.

JJ and Paul Davis is too high

Guys like Badsen others didnt get drafted because there were a shitload of international and high school kids getting drafted 2nd round like Ricky Sanchez and Akyol, Hite is better than Badsen.

12. H.ayes

H.ayes JBB JustBBall Member

Also: look out for Randy Foye of Villanova to declare next year and get picked. If you saw his game against UNC in the tournament, you'd know why I rate him so high.

13. N4S

N4S BBW Member

I like seeing Nova reppin in here it's just that you probably forgot the best guy on the team which is Randy Foye.

14. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">I see there is a certain team having players picked high( [​IMG] Michigan St.) Paul Davis pretty darn high, over players like Taj Gray, Justin Gray, Nick Fazekas, Rudy Fernandez, and some others. Maurice Ager I think deserves that place though, but Still can't believe Justin Gray is so low, I thought he would be a top 25 pick, he has every skill a PG needs, IMO he was better than Chris Paul last 2 years. What about Kevin Pittsnogle? James Augustine was picked over Pittsnogle, cmon who wouldn't not want to here that name said on draft day. I think J.P. Bautista will improve his stock this year and be a early-2nd rounder.</div>

First of all, it's just plain ignorant and makes you look like a straight up fool to assume that I was biased when contributing to the mock draft, and I would appreciate it if you don't make such outrageous assumptions in the future. You say that a certain team has players picked high, and then you only mention Davis. Is it just me, or is that a completely moronic statement? I guess we're also biased towards Duke for having Redick higher than expected, right? Second of all, I have always felt that Paul Davis has been a bust who has yet to live up to the expectations placed on him out of High School, but Shapecity, who is far from a Michigan State fan, felt that Paul Davis had the potential to be a very high pick in the draft. Third of all, you fully agree that Channing Frye is worth the #8 pick, yet you bitch about Paul Davis being #20? That, my friend, is called hypocrisy. Not only is Paul Davis bigger, but he is more talented and has better post moves. Statistically, Frye was outrebounded by Davis and barely outscored him despite being a bigger offensive option for his less talented Arizona team. What is more, Frye was a Senior and Davis was a Junior. In fact, Davis' scoring numbers were deflated last season by being on the only team in the nation with six players scoring over ten points per game. When he was a bigger option in his Sophomore season, Davis averaged sixteen points on 57% shooting. This year he should put up numbers even better than that, because Alan Anderson, Kelvin Torbert, and Chris Hill are all leaving Michigan State. Size is important, and at 6-11, 270 lbs., Paul Davis will be an important draft prospect. Lastly, just to point out some more hypocrisy, you seem to often remind us all how highly ranked and highly valued Mustafa Shakur was out of High School, but Paul Davis was not only a McDonald's All-American but a consensus top five player in the nation out of High School. A #20 pick too high? Keep dreaming.

Now, I'd love to further exploit your post as well as comment on everyone else's, but I'm extremely pressed for time, in another city, and trying to tend to a dying family member, so I'm going to have to get off for the time being. However, I'll try to get on tonight and answer the rest of the questions. Thanks to everyone for reading our mock and giving us feedback.

15. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

just wondering, what do you guys think of the talent in this draft? more or less than 2005?

16. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">First of all, it's just plain ignorant and makes you look like a straight up fool to assume that I was biased when contributing to the mock draft, and I would appreciate it if you don't make such outrageous assumptions in the future. You say that a certain team has players picked high, and then you only mention Davis. Is it just me, or is that a completely moronic statement? I guess we're also biased towards Duke for having Redick higher than expected, right? Second of all, I have always felt that Paul Davis has been a bust who has yet to live up to the expectations placed on him out of High School, but Shapecity, who is far from a Michigan State fan, felt that Paul Davis had the potential to be a very high pick in the draft. Third of all, you fully agree that Channing Frye is worth the #8 pick, yet you bitch about Paul Davis being #20? That, my friend, is called hypocrisy. Not only is Paul Davis bigger, but he is more talented and has better post moves. Statistically, Frye was outrebounded by Davis and barely outscored him despite being a bigger offensive option for his less talented Arizona team. What is more, Frye was a Senior and Davis was a Junior. In fact, Davis' scoring numbers were deflated last season by being on the only team in the nation with six players scoring over ten points per game. When he was a bigger option in his Sophomore season, Davis averaged sixteen points on 57% shooting. This year he should put up numbers even better than that, because Alan Anderson, Kelvin Torbert, and Chris Hill are all leaving Michigan State. Size is important, and at 6-11, 270 lbs., Paul Davis will be an important draft prospect. Lastly, just to point out some more hypocrisy, you seem to often remind us all how highly ranked and highly valued Mustafa Shakur was out of High School, but Paul Davis was not only a McDonald's All-American but a consensus top five player in the nation out of High School. A #20 pick too high? Keep dreaming. </div>

Wait, Why you bringing Frye into this, I didn't even talk about him. I think Frye was high too along with Charlie V, but Frye wasn't even a top 100 recruit. Also, Davis isn't the only player you guys had high, he just stuck out because I saw players like Taj Gray and Justin Gray, who IMO, are better. Everyone has their own right to have their own opinion. I'm not trying to make you mad, or make an argument, I'm just saying some Michigan St. players are overrated on here. Everyone has been overrating players on Michigan St. every since they got to the Final Four. I know I might overrate Arizona players sometimes, but I don't think Adams will be a first rounder. Shakur might be a late first rounder if he's lucky. Also, to make you feel better, I think Matt Haryasz is too high too. I've seen him play and he's no where close to NBA level. I think he has potential, but he just don't have NBA type skill. Lemarcus Aldridge is very high too for sitting out his freshman year because of off the court problems. He has potential, just he needs to stay out of trouble or he'll be the next Sean Banks.

17. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Wait, Why you bringing Frye into this, I didn't even talk about him. I think Frye was high too along with Charlie V, but Frye wasn't even a top 100 recruit.</div>

I bring Frye into this to point out your hypocrisy. First you advise the Jazz to trade down a few places from #4 and pick Channing Frye, and then you say that the more talented Paul Davis is too high at #20.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, Davis isn't the only player you guys had high, he just stuck out because I saw players like Taj Gray and Justin Gray, who IMO, are better. Everyone has their own right to have their own opinion.</div>

How the hell is Taj Gray a better NBA prospect than Paul Davis? Not only did he have a worse season, but he's a 6-9 Power Forward that is about 35 pounds lighter than the near 7-0 Power Forward, Paul Davis. Their skill levels are not even comparable either. Davis has better footwork and rebounding fundamentals than Gray, and that's what NBA scouts will look for in a Power Forward. I'm not going to compare Paul Davis to Justin Gray, because they are completely different players, but I will say that players who can play both the Center and Power Forward positions and have that potential are always hot commodities on draft night. Gray could really improve his stock by being a true Point Guard this season though. Having him at #31 isn't a tragedy; it's practically a first round pick. I may be wrong, but I think that's higher than any other mock draft out there.

Anyway, you have a right to an opinion. Don't expect to get away with making such a ludacris and bold statement without backing it up though.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not trying to make you mad, or make an argument, I'm just saying some Michigan St. players are overrated on here. Everyone has been overrating players on Michigan St. every since they got to the Final Four.</div>

That's got to be one of the most rediculous things I've read in a long time. How can you say some Michigan State players are overrated in our mock draft and then say that the only Michigan State player we overrated was Paul Davis, without even backing that up sufficiently. I know you were implying that I put my love of Michigan State over my job to put together the best mock draft possible, but that's such a laughable accusation that I'm not even sure why I bothered replying to you. As I said earlier, it was Shapecity who convinced me that Davis will be picked high, not the other way around.

As for your statement about overrating Michigan State players based on the Final Four, I could pull you up an old nbadraft.net mock draft (pre-Final Four) that has Paul Davis as a top ten pick, so saying that the Final Four has overrated him makes no sense. You agree than Maurice Ager and Shannon Brown (at least I hope you do) are talented enough to deserve a high pick, and nobody has thrown Drew Neitzel or Drew Naymick's names into draft consideration. So why do you think their players are overrated because of the Final Four? Hell, Michigan State didn't even have a player from that Final Four team get drafted, despite having three very good candidates.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Lemarcus Aldridge is very high too for sitting out his freshman year because of off the court problems. He has potential, just he needs to stay out of trouble or he'll be the next Sean Banks.</div>

Are we thinking of the same player? LaMarcus Aldridge sat out the majority of his Freshman year because he was injured, and he is now a fully recovered player. With his skills and size, I see no reason to doubt Aldridge. Who knows, his injury could have really helped his game, at least according to Aldridge himself it did. Check out this -

"[The injury] was like a blessing in disguise," Aldridge said recently before the appointment with his surgeon. "I've grown up in a lot of ways, and I see things differently [in regard to] my overall perception of both basketball and school.

"I learned a lot of things basketball-wise after I got hurt. The coaches tell you things you should do, but I don't know if players always really see them. Sitting on the sidelines, I saw some things they told me to do and how if I had done them, they would have worked. ... It was all just part of the education."

Link

18. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

wow, that has to be the longest post i've ever seen.anyway, i think sergio could go as high as 2.

19. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting lessthanjake:</div><div class="quote_post">just wondering, what do you guys think of the talent in this draft? more or less than 2005?</div>

It depends on who declares but I would say less. Remember this is going to be the first draft class where high schoolers and young international players so this would be the drop off class. The class can make up for the High School drop off if players such as Shannon Brown, Daniel Gibson, Darius Washington, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Ronnie Brewer all underclass men who have a chance to spark this class.

20. J_Ray

If LeMarcus Aldridge sit out for majority of season cuz of an injury, I must have been lied too. My friend who is a OK St. fan said he was in trouble academically.