OT Juwan Howard Suspended for the rest of the season after postgame altercation at Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Feb 21, 2022.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

He wont forget what shit??

there was obviously something more to it based on the initial meetup of the coaches in the first clip. Didnt watch the second, interview with Rose.

3. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I was surprised this wasn't posted sooner... he takes end of game stuff too seriously. Didn't he flip out on one of his teammates for that kind of thing while he was a blazer?

4. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Has anyone said "Juwan is unbelievable" yet?

5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I'm a big Howard fan, but he should have been more composed as the coach. I think the rest of the season is too much, but that's just my opinion. The league and schools know more about the situation than I do.

6. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

7. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I think he should have been fired. Same disclaimers as yours apply though.

barfo

8. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Wisconsin was winning in a blowout and had the bottom of its little-used bench in at the end of the game. Howard continued fullcourt pressing. According to the coach, Wisconsin called timeout to reset the 10-second clock (there were 4 seconds left) so they could work on beating the press without having to worry about a violation.

speeds and Orion Bailey like this.
  9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

oh geez…. Wwwwaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

10. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

It was Howard's decision to continue with a full-court press while down 15 with under a minute to play that prompted the Wisconsin timeout. The Badgers had walk-ons and reserves in the game, and if a timeout by Gard in that situation was against the game's unwritten rules, then wasn't Michigan's continued use of the press also a poor display of sportsmanship?

-- David Cobb, CBS

Howard running the FCP down 15 with less than a minute on the clock is just him being a sore loser.

Gord shouldn't have tried to force him into a conversation/argument by grabbing his arm in the handshake line.

Jalen Rose's recounting of Howard jumping-in to fend off Gord from one of the Michigan players is pretty dubious if you watch the clip.

If you followed Howard's NCAA/NBA career none of this should be surprising.

Orion Bailey, Fairly-Hard and PCmor7 like this.
  11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

agree, Gord shouldn't have grabbed his arm.

PCmor7 likes this.
  12. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I agree with you except for one part. Gard didn't stop Howard to try to explain. Howard didn't look at him or extend his hand for even a token shake but instead pulled down his mask and said "I'll remember this" a couple of times. Only at that point did Gard grab his arm and apparently tried to explain. Howard reciprocated by grabbing Gard's collar and pulling it around his throat.

Rose's enabling of Howard is dubious for more reasons than that, too. Michigan isn't exactly the standard-bearer for Big Ten excellence. It's arguable that it even has the best program historically in its own state. Indiana, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa and recent Big Ten addition Maryland also could stake claim to having better track records. Heck, Illinois has more all-time wins. Wisconsin, for its part, has been pretty good for at least the last couple of decades, so this isn't a case of chest-thumping over beating the blue blood; Michigan has a losing record in Madison by a substantial margin.

handiman likes this.
  13. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I guess there is some nuance/build-up to the point where Gard (not Gord, my mistake) grabbed him, but there wasn't a good reason for him to do so, and not doing that would've prevented this from kicking-off.

To your other point, @PCmor7, post Fab-5 Michigan have finished top of conference three times in almost 30-years, with one of those three being joint winners. I guess Rose thinks that's dominance.

PCmor7 likes this.
  14. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I agree. The demonstrative nature of the arm grab was ill-advised, largely considering Howard's state of mind ... this isn't the first time he's been involved in a situation like this in his brief coaching tenure. My thinking, though, was, in Gard's shoes, my reaction would be try to deflate the situation by explaining why I did what I did. Could he have waited and tried to talk to Juwan later? Yeah, but my guess is it was a split-second reaction and he probably didn't even realize he was doing it. It, of course, shouldn't have been provocation to getting grabbed by the throat and an expletive-laden tirade, either, IMO.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It's funny though, because it was a violation of his personal space. If it had been a man and a woman, and the man had grabbed a woman by the arm, I guarantee nobody would bat an eye if the woman slapped the shit out of him.

16. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Yep. Don't put your hands on someone. It's that simple.

STOMP likes this.
  17. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Is it really a violation of personal space when they're supposed to be shaking hands in that space?

I saw it more as a, "hey, hold on" type of gesture than an actual grabbing of the arm, but I see how it can be argued either way.

PCmor7 likes this.
  18. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If the opposing coach is pissed off and avoiding saying anything to you, address that shit in your post game presser obviously. Gard was grabbing Howard's arm because he didn't want Juwan to brush him off and cared more about himself wanting to be heard than he did Howard's desire to walk by him without acknowledging him. If Gard had something to say he should have turned around and yelled it at Juwan, then he wouldn't have been escalating the situation but instead he took it to the next place which was a physical altercation.

It stayed at the level of physical altercation that Gard himself initiated until one of Gard's assistants put his hands on one of Howard's players. Then Juwan took it to a completely unacceptable level by swinging on that assistant coach and landing with an open hand. It's a horrible example to set for his college players, so I don't think it's an overreaction to suspend him, I could have seen them firing him but I would have seen that as a terrible overreaction that went against precedents set when disciplining white coaches for similar things.

So it was a shit show and I think Michigan got it right with the suspension. They sent a clear message that it wasn't acceptable what Howard did but that this is the type of mistake that someone can come back from and learn from. I think Wisconsin dropped the ball by not suspending Gard for one game after they saw Howard get a more severe penalty. People can debate Gard's intentions all they want but the guy took a verbal dispute to a physical altercation.

Orion Bailey, STOMP and HailBlazers like this.
  19. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

But thats not what Rose said, at all. He said Howard took offense at the Assistant Coach (he one he struck/pushed) who came in like a bull in a china shop at the defense of his head coach. He said that AC put his hands on Michigan players aggressively (watch the tape, he did). Then Rose said Juwan overreacted and said thats something Howard knows he can't do. Good grief man, you are a terrible eye witness.

STOMP

blazerkor likes this.
  20. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    It's a handshake line.