Karl Malone's Jersey Retired?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Mr. J, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Do you think Karl Malone's jersey will be retired? He gave so many great years to the Jazz. So many memories. He was called the mail man because he always delivered. If he only got a championship...

Anyway, if Stockton's jersey was retired then the 2nd most points in NBA history deserves a retired jersey in my opinion. That man was UTAH in his 18 years there. 10 missed games during that span too. I think for anyone else to wear number #32 would be a crime.

2. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

I completly agree. The Jazz should retire his jersey as soon as possible. It would be a travisty for any other player in Jazz history to wear the mailman's number.

3. Marbire

Marbire JBB JustBBall Member

Of course they will..... You think they wouldn't just because his last year was in LA? Nah.

4. urbannomad23

urbannomad23 JBB JustBBall Member

duh, they will. wasnt he MVP one time??? the mailman is one of the greats. along with stockton his # and malones number will be up there for eternity!

5. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Why would you even consider creating this thread?????

6. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

This is a no brainer. They probably won't retire it til next season or the next but it will be up there. The Jazz also have plan to have bronze statues outside of the Delta Center of Stockton, Malone, and possibably one of Sloan. Also, SLC renamed one of the streets outside of the Detla Center, John Stockton Street or something to that nature; do you think they will name the adjacent street Karl Malone Street?

7. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Biggest no-brainer I have heard in awhile. If the Jazz do not retire his number, they have no respect for one of the greatest to play the game.

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Didn't they play him when he was a Laker?

9. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">Didn't they play him when he was a Laker?</div>
    Yea, but one bad year doesn't erase 17 great years in the NBA. He isn't 2nd all time in points scored, argueably the best PF to ever play the game, if his number isn't retired by the Jazz, they really don't deserve to be a franchise anymore.

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I'm saying is the beef squashed? If not then they will still retire it while hearing the boos?

11. Mamba

Oh, I really don't think there should be a problem with the fans. Stockton and Malone kept that organization on the map for a long time, they made that franchise what it is today, if the fans disrespect that, they really have no respect for great players.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Fans are like that these days. If a fan could throw beer at a player, I'm sure they have some kind of disrespect for Malone.

13. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">Fans are like that these days. If a fan could throw beer at a player, I'm sure they have some kind of disrespect for Malone.</div>
    So? Can you deny what Malone did for the Jazz? Stats are very valid and viable proof my man. They don't lie, and 2nd all time in points scored and a whole bunch of franchise records should easily guarantee Retired status. Retiring one's number recognizes the great things that he did, and the Jazz management would be dumb if they don't retire Malone's number after 17 years of success.

14. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I would be pretty darn ticked if the Jazz didnt retire the Mailman's #, him and Stockton were probably the best duo in NBA history and both have done tremendous things for the Jazz. I would wet my self if Malone's # wasnt retired.

15. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Karl Malone's number is highly likely to be retired. What he did for the Jazz is definitely enough to get his number retired, but when he left for the Lakers there was an argument between him and Larry Miller (Jazz owner). The arguments became heated, and Miller threatened to erect a statue of just John Stockton in front of the Delta Center. But nothing has happened between Miller and Malone for a while, and I would be very surprised if Malone's jersey wasn't retired. Adrain Dantley better be next.

16. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

I don't see why everyone thinks the Jazz and the Jazz fans have beef with Malone. The only reason fans may have booed Malone when he was with the Lakers was because he was on the LAKERS. I have to admit, I did not want Malone to win a ring last year because it would have been wrong, one it would of meant that the Lakers would have won, and Malone did not look right with out #12 by his side. But one year with the Lakers does not erase 17 years with the Jazz. He is one of the few Jazz men for life.

36,928 Career Points, 14,968 Career Rebounds, 5,248 Career Assist, 2,085 Career Steals, 1,145 Career Blocks, 2-time NBA MVP, Eleven Time All-NBA First Team, 14 Time All-Star, 2-time All-Star Game MVP, just to name a few.

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

That's all I meant, how bad is the beef. I didn't see but I heard the made some kind of degrading video about him and I think he demanded an appology. I guess the beff between him and the management wont change anything.

18. calijazz

calijazz JBB JustBBall Member

It'll happen...and the Jazz fans want it to happen.

Larry H. Miller has already said that they'll retire Malone's number whenever he would like to have it done. Whether it be next season or a few years from now, it'll get done.

It's a fact.