Kevin Garnett Overrated?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by bballer768484, Oct 17, 2005.

1. bballer768484

bballer768484 JBB JustBBall Member

I truly believe that Kevin Garnett is a tad bit overrated. He is a great talent, great player, and a great person, but to go as far as saying that he maybe the best player in the NBA, come on now. Last year the timberwolves didn't even make the playoffs, and Kevin Garnett just couldn't cut it. He couldn't carry the load. His numbers are great, outstanding may I say, but he just won't win that ring, he will be one of those great players that just don't get to the promise land. ex- karl malone, charles barkley, john stockton. Its a damn shame.

2. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

I don't know how you can reason that he's overrated. That just doesn't make sense. Six consecutive seasons of 20 ppg/10 rpg/ 5 apg. There is NO ONE else in the league that can even compare to his all around consistency for a post player. Is he the best player in the league? Probably not, but he's top 10 for sure, and I'd say he's top 5. As to him not winning, the guy can't do it all by himself. Did T Mac win by himself in Orlando? Nope. Did Kobe win by himself last year with the Lakers? Nope. But KG has, with the exception of 2003-04, won predominantly by himself for his whole career. The guy has had very little help, but he's turned Minnesota from a doormat to a team to be reckoned with year in year out since he arrived.

If KG is overrated, then I guess I'm just crazy.

3. KfrumHTOWN!

KfrumHTOWN! JBB JustBBall Member

There is no way KG can be overrated. His performance speaks for itself. Who ever said he was the best player in the league anyway?! He is for sure a MVP candidate year in and year out. And like schaddy said he has won by himself more than any other player out there.

4. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

He's an amazing talent, but if their is anything overrated about him, it's his defense. No way he should've been All-Defensive first team all those years.

5. TheAnswer2

TheAnswer2 JBB JustBBall Member

Well if he's All-Defensive team all those years..how is his defense overated? He averages over a steal a game his entire career, almost 2 blocks a game for his career, and 8 defensive boards for his career.

If he was voted in ONCE, then it could've been a mistake.

6. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

Put a Ginobli, Parker, Bowen, Popovic, Carlismo and RC Buford in the same orgnization as Garnett, and he'll win a championship too. Nuff said.

7. shootingmachine

shootingmachine JBB JustBBall Member

He isn't over-rated, but I don't think anyone thinks he is the best player in the L. Duncan takes that award.

8. BasketballGeek

BasketballGeek JBB JustBBall Member

Nope. He's an amazing player. He has never had a realy good player to play with expect the one season with Spree and Sam but dispite the numbers they put up on the offensive end they gave most of it back off the cort and on the defensive end. He's allways put up good numbers. When he won the MVP he deserved it. He's not the best player in the leauge though. Well maybe all around he is but Tim Duncan is maybe the best player to play power forward so he's defenatly number two in the power forward rankings but overall as a player he's amazing becuse of his all around game. The assists he gets as a big man is out of the world however he's going down a bit. He's geting older and isn't the same KG he once was but still not overated.

9. MagicForEver123

MagicForEver123 JBB Banned Member

More people call Kobe the best player in the league and look at him what he achieved last season.

Kobe cannot do it all by himself, KG cannot, not even Jordon could, if you remember he had one of the best Small Forwards of all time next to him.

Now Tim Duncan. He simply has the benefit of playing in an A+ organisation, with a great coach, great management and a great scouting team. There's no way you can compare the Spurs organisation with the Wolves, except for this one off season where they were able to get Sprewell and Cassell they did a bad job and even in that off season the aquisition of Kandiman wasn't all that good.

Just as Purple Fever pointed out, swap KG with TD and KG would by now have the same amount of rings and TD zero.

10. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bballer768484:</div><div class="quote_post">I truly believe that Kevin Garnett is a tad bit overrated. He is a great talent, great player, and a great person, but to go as far as saying that he maybe the best player in the NBA, come on now. Last year the timberwolves didn't even make the playoffs, and Kevin Garnett just couldn't cut it. He couldn't carry the load. His numbers are great, outstanding may I say, but he just won't win that ring, he will be one of those great players that just don't get to the promise land. ex- karl malone, charles barkley, john stockton. Its a damn shame.</div>
    NEVER!! KG does too many things to be overrated. People said the same thing about Tmac, until he came to a good team, winning franchise, and great coach. The Wolves haven't done a good job of putting players around my boy, that's why they sucked last year. The decisions the Wolves organization have made have HORRIBLE. First off, the failed to get rid of Spree. Second, the traded Sam for Marko, which was terrible. Then lasty, they passed up coach Silas for younger guy. Bad, bad, bad.

11. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bballer768484:</div><div class="quote_post">I truly believe that Kevin Garnett is a tad bit overrated. He is a great talent, great player, and a great person, but to go as far as saying that he maybe the best player in the NBA, come on now. Last year the timberwolves didn't even make the playoffs, and Kevin Garnett just couldn't cut it. He couldn't carry the load. His numbers are great, outstanding may I say, but he just won't win that ring, he will be one of those great players that just don't get to the promise land. ex- karl malone, charles barkley, john stockton. Its a damn shame.</div>
    NEVER!! KG does too many things to be overrated. People said the same thing about Tmac, until he came to a good team, winning franchise, and great coach. The Wolves haven't done a good job of putting players around my boy, that's why they sucked last year. The decisions the Wolves organization have made have been HORRIBLE. First off, they failed to get rid of Spree. Second, they traded Sam for Marko, which was terrible. Then lasty, they passed up coach Silas for a more inexperienced guy. Expect KG to ask for a trade pretty soon.

12. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheAnswer2:</div><div class="quote_post">Well if he's All-Defensive team all those years..how is his defense overated? He averages over a steal a game his entire career, almost 2 blocks a game for his career, and 8 defensive boards for his career.

If he was voted in ONCE, then it could've been a mistake.</div>

He was on the team because of who he was. Just like Kobe. Players like Rasheed Wallace and Kenyon Martin deserved to be ahead of him.

13. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Are you on Crack?

Honestly how can you think that Kevin Garnett of all people is overrated. KG is amazing and he's put up #'s people cant even think of, the only thing that's a knock on him is his winning. He hasnt won much in his career but I think he's capable of leaving with atleast one ring before his career is over.

14. KG-MVP

KG-MVP JBB JustBBall Member

Name a player in this league thats better. Simple as that.
    Theres only one answer: No one
    Thats it. Forget anyone else, i've argued this so many times its just boring.
    Kobe Bryant is laughable as the best player in the league, and Duncan is a well-deserved second best in the league. Maybe he will never win a ring and that would be a shame, but theres still several years left in his career. People tend to be ignorant to the fact that if he won a couple rings he would be acknowledged as one of the best players of all-time. Thats a straight fact too, think about it. Hes got everyhing except the success. Plug in the success and hes one of the all-time best. Without the success, he just has to stay the best player in the league.

15. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KG-MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">Name a player in this league thats better. Simple as that.
    Theres only one answer: No one</div>Tim Duncan. He has the rings and MVP awards to back it up.

16. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

A player can't win on their own. Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter and Baron Davis have all shown that winning is hard unless you have a decent supporting cast. Kevin Garnett has done all he can and then some to improve the Timberwolves and they have never had great talent to surround him. If he were on a better team, he would be racking up the rings and would be one of the best players in the NBA.

17. KG-MVP

KG-MVP JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Tim Duncan. He has the rings and MVP awards to back it up.</div>

Tim Duncan is past his prime. He was the best a couple year ago but just because he was the best then doesn't mean he is now. If KG was on the Spurs, he would have a couple rings too, if not more than Duncan. KG would have won his second straight MVP last season if his team didn't fail. And he would probably be set up to win it a 3rd time this season if he wasn't in the team situation hes in. All that just shows that KG could be great if he wasn't plagued by not being supported with a good enough team.

18. amador08

amador08 JBB JustBBall Member

I think KG is in the same situation as Kobe Bryant great players being held back by their poor teams. Although I cant say Kevin is Better then Duncan they are both very good players and pretty much equal in most aspects of the game.

19. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Coranor:</div><div class="quote_post">More people call Kobe the best player in the league and look at him what he achieved last season.

Kobe cannot do it all by himself, KG cannot, not even Jordon could, if you remember he had one of the best Small Forwards of all time next to him.

Now Tim Duncan. He simply has the benefit of playing in an A+ organisation, with a great coach, great management and a great scouting team. There's no way you can compare the Spurs organisation with the Wolves, except for this one off season where they were able to get Sprewell and Cassell they did a bad job and even in that off season the aquisition of Kandiman wasn't all that good.

Just as Purple Fever pointed out, swap KG with TD and KG would by now have the same amount of rings and TD zero.</div>

Thank you. KG has been consistent, even though he is surrounded by incompetence. I am not biased though, I think they are both great. It would depend on how they would play in each others shoes, or if they were traded to the Hornets and Bobcats.

20. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Garnett is an incredible athlete, but I don't like his arrogance and quickness to anger/violence. I don't think Garnett will get a ring in his career without someone else leading the team and improving chemistry.