Kevin Garnett to the Bulls...............

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by mike18946, May 19, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

In the CHICAGO TRIBUNE, Sam Smith writes that "this is the week the Bulls may be able to put together a deal" for Timberwolves All-Star Kevin Garnett. "Word around the NBA is the Timberwolves are willing to trade Garnett, most likely to a large-market team that could meet his price as a free agent." Garnett "has one season left on his six-year, $126 million contract," adds Smith.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ome%2Dheadlines

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">We've been inundated with Kevin Garnett rumors (mostly to the Bulls) for the past couple of years. The Wolves' seventh straight first-round playoff exit, combined with Garnett's refusal to sign a contract extension, is only fueling the fire.

But up to this point, the Wolves have steadfastly maintained that they would never trade Garnett. Any potential trade scenario for KG was never really much more than a pipe dream. Owner Glen Taylor's slight hedge last week may have changed all of that. Was Taylor sending a signal to the other 28 teams in the NBA that KG was no longer untouchable?

"The only way we would probably trade him is if Kevin said that he really thought that was the best thing for him, or something like that," Taylor told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It would have to be built on something I couldn't even think of right now. We don't want to, and I don't think he would want to, but that would be the scenario, I suppose. I don't think I would necessarily accept that just because he said that. But that's a possibility."

While Taylor insisted that he believes Garnett wants to retire in a T-Wolves uniform, you can understand why the team is worried. Garnett wants to see significant upgrades this offseason.

That's almost impossible given the Wolves' current salary situation. They're capped out, above the luxury-tax threshold and have to work out a contract for Rasho Nesterovic this summer. While they'd love to add a veteran like Gary Payton or Karl Malone to the mix, the chances of a top free agent taking less money to play in Minnesota is slim.

Last time we checked, they aren't the Lakers.

So . . . let the speculation begin. Insider started the ball rolling last month with a plausible trade scenario involving the Bulls. Chicago Tribune writer Sam Smith resurrected that idea today, claiming that the T-Wolves may just pull the trigger on a KG trade if the Bulls sent them Jay Williams, Tyson Chandler, Jalen Rose, Eddie Robinson and their first-round pick (provided it's not the No. 1 or 2 overall pick) for KG.

That's a sweetheart deal for the Wolves, who would end up with essentially three lottery picks and a borderline all-star for Garnett. It won't get any better than that. Smith claims that the Bulls could contend for the NBA Finals with a lineup of Jamal Crawford, Trenton Hassell, Donyell Marshall, Garnett and Eddy Curry. That may be a stretch, but if Crawford and Curry keep up the learning curve, it's not out of the question.

Meanwhile, the Wolves would sport a team of Williams, Rose, Wally Szczerbiak, Chandler and Nesterovic with a lottery pick (someone like Mickael Pietrus, Chris Kaman, Dwyane Wade or Michael Sweetney), Troy Hudson and Joe Smith coming off the bench. That isn't too shabby either.

The Bulls aren't the only team with enough talent to get the T-Wolves interested.

The Pacers could work out a sign-and-trade that would ship Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington, Jamaal Tinsley, Ron Mercer and Fred Jones to Minnesota.

The Mavs could offer a combination of Michael Finley, Raef LaFrentz and Nick Van Exel for Garnett.

And the Blazers could offer Rasheed Wallace, Zach Randolph, Derek Anderson and their first-round pick.

All of the trades would give Minnesota more depth, but none of them has the upside of keeping Garnett and adding another top player to the mix. But if Kevin McHale can't make it happen, all are better scenarios than losing KG for nothing next summer. </div>

2. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

i don't think the bulls would give up all that talent for kg, but if they can come to an agreement, then it will be a good trade for both sides.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

i really don't think KG is worth 3 starters. i know his cap number is huge, so it's extremely difficult for the t-wolves to unload him. to be honest i think KG is stuck in minny until his contract expires.

4. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">i really don't think KG is worth 3 starters. i know his cap number is huge, so it's extremely difficult for the t-wolves to unload him. to be honest i think KG is stuck in minny until his contract expires.</div>

it won't be long though, after next year, kg and kobe are both fa.

5. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

thatd be funny if they both ended up in chicago.
    even funnier if they both ended up in boston :mrgreen:

6. GatorsowntheNCAA

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

joe dumars save the cap and we can get either...or we can trade our pick a few others players for KG

8. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

mavs will never give up NVE, Najera, and Finley for Garnett....

9. GatorsowntheNCAA

y not, that would be a rip for the mavs

mavs sl would be
    pg-nash
    sg-who cares
    sf-kg
    pf-dirk
    c-who cares

that would be killer.

10. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sportsrock37":</div><div class="quote_post">y not, that would be a rip for the mavs

mavs sl would be
    pg-nash
    sg-who cares
    sf-kg
    pf-dirk
    c-who cares

that would be killer.</div>

[​IMG]

11. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

2 who cares player with 3 good ones...I DON'T GET IT....

12. GatorsowntheNCAA

you would have 1 top 3 player, 1 top 10 player and 1 top 5 pg. and 2 out of the 3(excluding nash) will be amazing. btw what the hell has finley, nve, najera done that would match up to what kg has done?

13. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

finley averages 20 a game but doesn't try...KG averages 20+ plus 10+ boards....Najera plays good D....and NVE helps the Mavs when Nash it out or in....anyone disagree?

14. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

finley, nve, and najera are in the western conference finals. kg is fishing and has NEVER won a playoff series.

15. GatorsowntheNCAA

yes i agree. nve has been huge this postseason, but would you rather have the shoulda been MVP this year or finley(struggled a little this season, still good though), nve(good, but doesn't start), najera. that's like the best player in the league for 3 players that none of them are in the top 50 players in the league. (finley might be)

16. GatorsowntheNCAA

finley, nve, najera has dirk and nash on there team. kg has rasho? t hud?, no where to the caliber that dirk and nash is.

i just don't see how the twolves can give up there best player for the mavs 3rd and 4th.

17. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sportsrock37":</div><div class="quote_post">i just don't see how the twolves can give up there best player for the mavs 3rd and 4th.</div>

They need a change..as clearly having one superstar and decent role players isn't getting them anywhere..while having a few 20 point scorers....and another strong scorer they may think they have a better chance at getting past round one

18. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

rasho is up and coming along with hudson...i believe in hudson...what's caliber have to do with trading Mavs player tho? I'm worried for the Mavs if they give up their only SG and still don't get a C

19. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Rasho is going to the knicks this season...and they can't do anything about that.He has already brought at house in New York i believe...

20. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

Well Knicks can u Rasho's skills to make the postseason like they always did with JVG....