Kirilenko on 'Thin Ice' - Jazz Owner

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Andrei Kirilenko is "putting himself on thin ice," Jazz owner Larry Miller said Thursday, by allowing his production to ebb while complaining about not being involved in the team's offense.
    "The best advice, I suppose, for him is to play the game the way he knows how to play it," Miller said during an interview on radio station 1280 AM. " . . . To me, Andrei could make the choice to play well, and I don't think he's done it the past eight to 10 games."
    Miller said he was surprised by comments Kirilenko made following a meeting Tuesday with the Jazz's coaching staff, all but admitting he was having difficulty staying interested in the team's games when he wasn't getting to shoot.
    "Some of the games, I don't feel like I'm on the floor," Kirilenko said. "I just go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and I go to sleep."
    The team's owner, who cited conversations about energy and hustle he had with Kirilenko while negotiating the Russian's six-year, $86 million contract, said he wasn't happy watching his highest-paid player on the floor lately.
    "When he shoots off the 10-foot elbow or 12-foot baseline, I'm cringing right now. He's shooting it that poorly," Miller said. But hearing Kirilenko explain that he wants "two or three plays" called for him makes it worse.
    "I would have to say he's putting himself on thin ice," Miller told the radio station. "The combination of not playing very well and shooting his mouth off - that's not a good combination." </div>

<div align="center">Source</div>

2. NTC

NTC Active Member

Are they suggesting a possible trade?

I must say I have been very dissapointed with AK47 this season, he's one of my favourite players, and it hurts to see him playing so poorly, he's far from the defensive threat he has been the last few seasons. Dissapointing to watch.

3. Marbire

Marbire JBB JustBBall Member

I think he'll be back to his old self soon. He doesn't need plays called for him to be good... dunno what he's thinking.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Nets and Magic could use AK47 if he becomes available.

Orlando has Grant Hills expiring K, JJ Redick, Trevor Ariza, Draft Picks as possible pieces to send back.

Nets have Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson to send over.

5. MainMan

MainMan JBB JustBBall Member

this could be a blessing in disguise for the jazz imo..i luv ak47 but he is to busy with WoW right now lol...the jazz still can get great value for him.. i wouldnt be surprised if we see him in a different uniform by the trade deadline...maybe the magic[​IMG]

6. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

I would love to have Kirilenko in Orlando but I wouldn't want to give up Trevor Ariza. He has established himself as part of our main core of young guys and I'd hate to give him up. Before his injury, he showed a lot of potential and the Magic don't want to give up their main young guys for short term success. I'd definitely give up Grant Hill and J.J. Redick though.

7. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

If anyone could use him its the Kings. His shotblocking ability is EXACTLY what sacramento needs. Not to mention his ability to be efficient on offense without having plays called for him. Artest and Miller for AK and any expiring contract the Jazz have to offer. Make it happen Petrie.

8. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would love to have Kirilenko in Orlando but I wouldn't want to give up Trevor Ariza. He has established himself as part of our main core of young guys and I'd hate to give him up. Before his injury, he showed a lot of potential and the Magic don't want to give up their main young guys for short term success. I'd definitely give up Grant Hill and J.J. Redick though.</div>

You know, Kirilenko isn't exactly an old geezer at 26 (in one month).

9. bbwSwish

<div class="quote_poster">P.A.P. Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You know, Kirilenko isn't exactly an old geezer at 26 (in one month).</div>

That's true but Otis has already said he doesn't want to trade any of our young core. Dwight, Ariza, Darko and maybe Jameer (he's had some setbacks this year) are pretty much untouchable right now from what I've read. I guess if we did trade one of them though it would be in a situation like this though since Kirilenko isn't THAT old.

10. MainMan

yea but we gotta have some kind of veteran leadership and/or experience on the team..the magic cant rely on dooling,boogans, or battie for that..i think its a good fit. Like p.a.p said too he is only 26 years young he hasnt even hit his prime yet

11. bbwSwish

<div class="quote_poster">MainMan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">yea but we gotta have some kind of veteran leadership and/or experience on the team..the magic cant rely on dooling,boogans, or battie for that..i think its a good fit. Like p.a.p said too he is only 26 years young he hasnt even hit his prime yet</div>

So you would give up Ariza for him? I would just hate to see us trade him and then Trevor turns into a big star. It's happened way to many times to the Magic. We give up on young talent and then the player develops into a stud somewhere else (Corey Maggette, Ben Wallace, Chris Webber).

12. MainMan

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So you would give up Ariza for him? I would just hate to see us trade him and then Trevor turns into a big star. It's happened way to many times to the Magic. We give up on young talent and then the player develops into a stud somewhere else (Corey Maggette, Ben Wallace, Chris Webber).</div>

its hard to say...i love ariza's dirty work style on both sides off the court but ak47 has all of that already plus size,experience, and somewhat range with his shot. Would we need to ship ariza to get ak?? couldnt we do a grant hill, first rounder, maybe some cash?? i think that would be enough to satisfy utah.

13. WildHundreds113

WildHundreds113 JBB JustBBall Member

Its kind of bad because he is playing out of position. Ak is a PF and to swing him to the 3 and ask him to get the same production is wrong. AK would be a great fit in chicago, GS, or maybe even ATL with him playing center and Smith at the 4 that could make them a more dangerous team on defense in the post.

14. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So you would give up Ariza for him? I would just hate to see us trade him and then Trevor turns into a big star. It's happened way to many times to the Magic. We give up on young talent and then the player develops into a stud somewhere else (Corey Maggette, Ben Wallace, Chris Webber).</div>

You're stretching it when you say the Majic gave up on a Webber when he was younger. It's not like the Majic just gave up on him, they already had Shaq and needed a point guard so they traded for Penny, which was a very good move at the time.

It's very doubtful that the Majic would have had the same success they had with Shaq-Penny if they kept Webber.

15. bbwSwish

<div class="quote_poster">Eclipse Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You're stretching it when you say the Majic gave up on a Webber when he was younger. It's not like the Majic just gave up on him, they already had Shaq and needed a point guard so they traded for Penny, which was a very good move at the time.

It's very doubtful that the Majic would have had the same success they had with Shaq-Penny if they kept Webber.</div>

True, Webber wasn't a good example but you see what I was trying to say. I hope we don't give up on Ariza and then he turns into a stud. He definitely has all the tools to be great and his ceiling is very high right now.

16. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Well I doubt AK goes anywhere now that he's starting to play well again. He's done pretty good the last 2 games by getting the hustle plays and making players redirect shots. I'd love to get Ariza and Hill's expiring contract though [​IMG]

17. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Larry Miller:</div><div class="quote_post">When asked about trade possibilities involving Kirilenko, and Kirilenko's comments regarding his role:
    "I would guess that ... this situation is going to go a long way to resolve itself one way or the other by (next month's All-Star Game break)."</div>

If Kirilenko gets traded and the Jazz go for talent before cap room, they would aiming to get at least a starter back as they're giving up one. It's unlikely Williams, Boozer or Okur go anywhere anytime soon, and Utah are weak at shooting guard. There has been a rumour regarding a trade with Kirilenko and Jason Richardson as the key players, depending on how this situation plays out something may happen closer to the trade deadline.

18. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Jazz brass dispute AK trade talk

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jazz basketball boss Kevin O'Connor went to great lengths Monday to squelch what has become a growing perception around the NBA ? namely, that the Jazz's Andrei Kirilenko is on the trade block.
    "It's totally unwarranted," said O'Connor, the Jazz's basketball operations senior vice president. "So, let's put this to bed: We are not looking to trade Andrei Kirilenko. Period."
    The Jazz have received multiple trade calls from other clubs inquiring about Kirilenko over the past several days, all prompted by radio comments from Jazz owner Larry H. Miller that the forward from Russia may be "on thin ice" because of a combination of poor play of late and public comments about wanting more touches of the ball.</div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

19. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    I'd like to see AK47 in Orlando. Not so much in New Jersey. Orlando could be a serious contender for the championship with AK even next year. Ofcourse if AK, Dwight and Jameer can stay healthy.

20. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

If AK is traded, I hope Dee Brown is included in the trade, I want to see him on a team where he can actually get some playing time.