Klay Thompson: What is your opinion?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I heard he's done some good things and he looks polished.

I was honestly hoping we'd get Alec Burks instead. Reason: More explosive of an athlete, less concern about ability to attack the basket, you know he won't shoot threes (we've got enough of that shit going on and it tends to lead to fastbreaks on us), he can create, he can pass, he's got a reliable jumper inside the three point arc. The other guy I had my eye on was Marshon Brooks and I thought he was the better SG of this draft if we were looking for an SG.

Right now I'm hearing that Klay Thompson is more of a finesse utility player, stuck between SG and SF, mostly the catch and outside shooting type who can pass, but won't really drive much (which in my mind is disappointing because that's pretty much what Dorrell Wright already does and I would like a replacement for Monta Ellis at some point). I'm hoping for a bigger, defensive version of Monta Ellis because I like Monta's game, I just hate how he plays the defensive side of the ball. It doesn't help the team to score two points but also play defense at a rate where he's helping give up two points.

2. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Klay is a really nice shooter. He's supposedly the most efficient scorer on catch and shoot situations in the whole league!! He may ease letting Monta go. He at least tries on the defensive end. He's got problems putting the ball on the floor BUT HE'S BETTER THAN DORELL WHO'S AWFUL.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I wouldn't say he has problems putting the ball on the floor, hes just not a guy like Monta or DWade or whoever who can get to the rim at will. When he does go to the basket he looks fine IMO.

This isn't really an issue because at times he really does look like Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Allan Houston, etc. He can drill those 3's off of screens or just in a defenders face. Really quick release, able to make really tough jumpers, excellent off of screens and curls. His defense is actually pretty solid and he'll make the right pass. Looks very efficient and plays a quality overall game. He needs more burn down the stretch to really evaluate whether hes got a ceiling like those guys I just listed but he does certainly look like a winner.

IMO hes more of a SG than SF. 6'7 with a 6'11 wingspan IIRC gives him a size advantage at SG and hes got the skills for that position. Although hes not a great athlete he doesn't get burned on defense. He could play SF as well but if it were up to me I'd peg him as the SG of the future.

I've read Curry-for-Rondo propositions and it makes me wonder, if this was possible, would you rather have Curry/Klay or Rondo/Klay for the future? I think I'd go with Rondo/Klay but if you did somehow land a low post monster like Dwight or Aldridge or maybe Sullinger in the draft then Curry/Klay would be fugging lethal too.

4. Custodianrules2

I really like Curry's game a lot more, actually. If he can attack the rim more, he could channel Rondo in that regard. Obviously, he's not as quick, but his outstanding jumper is a good enough to draw the defender closer so he can dribble right around and into the lane for a layup or a foul shot.

I'm happy with Curry, David Lee as core. I think we need to evaluate whether Klay Thompson is a keeper, but obviously he's being brought in slowly. If he's anywhere as lethal as Reggie Miller or Michael Redd or Ray Allen or any of these guys that are unstoppable shooters then it'll be a huge advantage in set plays. The missing piece we might need would be a huge center who can pass the ball a bit or set some really hard picks, not the wimpy Biedrins kind, but the 275 pound Kwame Brown kind.

Curry
    Klay Thompson <only draft another guard if it's a can't miss>
    <insert draft player>
    David Lee
    <insert draft player>

5. Run BJM

Wish we could give Curry the reigns and see what we've really got with him. He looked brilliant at the end of his rookie season under Nellie when Monta wasn't playing, but Smart and MJ clearly prefer to let Monta be the alpha guy.

As for Rondo-Curry, Rondo is a fugging monster on both sides of the ball. I generally don't like PGs that can't shoot but hes so damn good I wouldn't mind it. I'd probably trade Curry for Rondo straight up, but depending on what other star players you get Curry could really be an asset. People fall in love with the Kidd's, Nash's, CP3's, etc. of the league but what have they really lead their teams to? You look at guys like Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker who aren't magicians dropping dimes left and right but they just limit TOs and score where they get chances. Obviously we need a legit star for Curry to play off of but I'm also not necessarily as worried as those fans who claim Curry is a SG.

6. Custodianrules2

Wow Curry for Rondo sounds like a trade you'd make in fantasy ball. 3pointers/ft%/3p% for free throw attempts/twice as many assists. :)

I hope Klay Thompson turns out okay for the warriors sake.

7. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Rondo is unbelievable for a guy who has no go to shot; I really think he's a special player. However, I think Curry, being younger, is the keeper.

I just cannot believe that MJ would rather have Monta or Nate with the ball than Curry. Either he and Smart are idiots or they know something we fans do not know. There need to be more plays for Curry, pick n rolls, etc., all game and end game.

8. Run BJM

Absolutely. Curry's shooting efficiency is nuts and hes had the highest PER on the team the last few seasons. Run some plays for him and create an offense for him.