(Kneejerk Central) Very impressed so far

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Oct 9, 2017.

1. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

As most of you know, I'm pretty much "Mr. Bi-Polar" around here, although I'd never normally admit it. I'll call Blazer fans like myself "Bill Simmons Soccer Moms" because, of course, we live and die by the fortunes of our team. It affects our moods, or attitudes, our lives. Blazers playing well? SHIT, CHAMPIONSHIP DYNASTY INCOMING!" Blazers not playing well? TANK FOR THE LOTTERY, I HATE LIFE!!! So now that we understand each other....

It's only preseason. It's only preseason. Once again, it's only preseason.

When the supposed starting lineup is on the court (Lillard, CJ, Harkless, Aminu, Nurk), they've been dominating. Passes are crisp, defense looks sharp, Damian looks in mid-season form. The Rooks look promising. Swanigan looks like a real-deal steal, and Collins looks more polished than advertised. Turner and Leonard look like they have finally decided to join the team and contribute. On the end of the bench, there looks to be some pieces that Olshey can work with to bring in a vet to steady the 2nd unit.

I am cautiously optimistic. VERY cautiously. The team could turn some heads. But the regular season is a different beast. We'll see early on what this team is made of.

2. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I think we're good, very good. But, that assumes.....

• We remain relatively injury free.
    • ET returns to good ET, not sucky ET. So, he looks OK, but really the jury is still out.
    • Harkless remains active.
    • Players accept their roles, not a given, especially if a rookie starts.
    • .... a whole lot more I don't want to think about.

But, yeah, we've been ahead by at least 18 points in each of the first 3 preseason games - so far, so good.

The guys who have not looked good (Jack, Biebs, Pat C.) are mostly end of the bench guys, so they won't hurt the team too much.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Why do you hate @Mediocre Man so much that you’d try to kill him like this?

Orion Bailey, dviss1 and chris_in_pdx like this.
  4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Stop jinxing us goddamn it

5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'd like to get a bumpersticker that says "I'm not Bi-Polar, I'm a Blazer fan."

6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

• Vonleh already got injured. I hope that was just due to a highly competetive training camp, and that the bug doesn't continue.
    • Evan Turner still doesn't fit well, and its not easy to hide. Stotts is still trying to figure out away to help him mesh. Starting him at the 3 was not a good choice. He will be most productive once again behind CJ at the 2 playing with the bench. This playing him at the 3 with CJ and Dame on the floor to take pressure off of them is not working well. I hope they get it figured out.
    • Harkless will have an uptick season for sure. He is young, and is a guy who isnt just showing potential, he is living up to it.
    • I'm not so worried about players accepting their roles. I do think players need to better understand their strengths and weaknesses. I.e. Aminu should stop trying to dribble the ball in the lane. He is not a playmaker and its scary as shit everytime.
    It will be interesting to see who gets cut and who stays at the end if the bench. Meyers has shown some improvement, but shows the same tendencies. Patty C has had moments of clarity within a cloud of funk he can't seem to get past. Morrow has been what youd expect him to be. Briscoe has looked good. I have had the thought he might eventually fit bitter than napier. The rooks have been impressive.

I'm excited

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Every year is the year we are going to win it all.

But this year really is!

8. Chris Craig

Word

9. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I am also very optimistic, this preseason has been good so far. We very likely won't win championship but it's not absolutely 100% critical to consider a season a good one, if we make it to WCF or even semifinal it will have been a very solid season.

I want to enjoy basketball, get some great exciting games and lose plenty of nights of sleep to watch our games.

rotary111 likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Heretic!

[​IMG]

theprunetang and dviss1 like this.
  11. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

What's funny to me is how much more hype Kuzma is getting than Swanigan, even though their pre-season statlines (per 36) read as such:
    Kuzma: 25.7ppg, 5.3rpg, 1.3apg
    Caleb: 21.8ppg, 9.9rpg, 3.6apg

Small sample size, I know. But being a Laker means you'll get an insane amount of national hype if you put together a good 4-game stretch during the pre-season.

12. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Just after reading your post I see this in my YT recommandations LMAO

rotary111 likes this.
  13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Kuzma is good. Per36 stats are stupid. Meyers had 36 rebounds per 36 last game. Let me tell you, if you actually play Meyers 36 minutes, he won't come close to grabbing 36 rebounds.

theprunetang likes this.
  14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Dude thats awesome. My printer can make stickers. Wanna head over and make a few one of the next couple weekends?

Chris Craig likes this.
  15. Chris Craig

Yes

16. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

already posted this once so far this preseason, but like my "Stotts telling everyone to give Babbitt the ball" gif, some things are worth recycling when the right time pops up.

[​IMG]

NWDJ likes this.
  17. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I think we might have been underestimating how much better we could get this season BTW. We have basically addressed all biggest weaknesses through acquisition of Nurkic (who barely played last season and will be like a new player) and two of our draft choices. What we are currently missing is a backup backcourt player and maybe a better small forward but even then Turner and Harkless are both players you can comfortably get by with.

Orion Bailey and Wizard Mentor like this.