knick news june 18th

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by knicks235, Jun 18, 2003.

1. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">RUSSIAN GIANT MAY
    ELUDE KNICK GRASP

By MARC BERMAN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UP FOR GRABS:
    It's possible Kansas' Nick Collison could be Knicks' top pick in next week's draft.
    - AP

June 18, 2003 -- It looks increasingly likely that 18-year-old giant Pavel Podzokline will be snapped up before the Knicks pick at No. 9 in next Thursday's NBA Draft.
    One medical issue could surface with the 7-foot-5, 300-pound Russian tank who worked out Friday for the Knicks, though it's not likely to hurt his rising stock.

Podzokline was tested for a pituitary-gland disorder, according to sources, during the Chicago pre-draft camp two weeks ago. Former Nets center Gheorghe Muresan had a pituitary disorder that caused him to grow to 7-foot-7 and may have led to career-ending back and ankle problems. Muresan's parents were 5-9 and 5-7, respectively.

According to sources, the Russian could be a candidate because his parents weren't especially tall (6-2, 5-8) and he grew 7 inches in a three-year span.

Sources said even if he has the disorder, it's hardly comparable to Muresan because the diagnosis would have come four years earlier and can be treated with no long-term side effect.

His agent, Justin Zanik, said Italian doctors never discovered an irregularity. Zanik said he hasn't received test results but said several teams he's spoken to expressed no concern about his Chicago medical report.

Willing to trade up for the Russian battleship, the Knicks seem to have few concerns, either. The Knicks are hot and heavy for Podzokline, who climbed into the lottery off his Chicago workout. Knicks assistant GM Jeff Nix said Podzokline's Knicks workout was "just as good" as Chicago's.

He barely played for his Italian team. Though some NBA officials believe he should stay one more year in Europe, Nix disagrees.

"I don't think it does him any good to go back to Europe," Nix said. "What does that do? He needs to get coached. He needs to be in a gym every day and having coaches working with him. It's going to be interesting with him. If he goes in the top seven, everyone else gets shifted back."

In a question-answer forum on the Knicks Web site, GM Scott Layden responded to an inquiry, writing, "Pavel may not have a great deal of game experience yet, but he has shown, especially recently, great individual skills. We feel whoever gets him will be in for quite a treat."

Yesterday, the Knicks worked out Kansas power forward Nick Collison. He's the safe choice, fundamentally sound, great teammate, NCAA finalist, Olympian, son of an Iowa coach, ready to help next season - Layden's type of squeaky-clean player. But at 6-9, with questionable NBA strength, he's no shoo-in lottery pick.

"I'd be disappointed - it's kind of my goal," Collison said.

Collison admitted, "Power forwards in the NBA are monsters, so I'll have to get a lot stronger." </div>

if collison is drafted by the knicks i renounce my knick fan status

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

you should renounce your status until they fire jim layden!