Knicks eye Gasol

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by jbbKnicks, Feb 7, 2003.

1. jbbKnicks

jbbKnicks JBB JustBBall Member

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcn...UVFeXk2MzM4NTYy

NEW YORK - The Knicks' goal is to get taller and younger by the Feb. 20 trading deadline. A league source said Thursday that the Memphis Grizzlies are willing to part with a player who fits that description.

Second-year forward/center Pau Gasol, who won the NBA's Rookie of the Year last season, is available, according to the source. That person also said Knicks' general manager Scott Layden has talked to Memphis general manager Jerry West about Gasol.

It's unclear what Memphis would want in return for the 7-foot, 227-pound Gasol, but it's probably not Latrell Sprewell. The source said the Grizzlies are considering trading Gasol, who is averaging 18.4 points, 8.9 rebounds, and 2.77 blocks, because they like Cezary Trybanski, a 7-2 rookie from Poland.

Trade talks throughout the league are expected to heat up during this weekend's All-Star break. Most teams have the next four days off, but the league executives will have their cell phones on at all times.

The fashionable theory is that if Layden makes any move, Sprewell will be the one to go. But the Knicks have been trying to move Sprewell for at least two years. They could have had Glenn Robinson from Milwaukee over the summer. Layden turned it down.

Layden will continue to gauge the interest in Sprewell. But for all the knocks against Layden, he won't just give Sprewell away, even if it is believed that owner James Dolan has told him he must trade Sprewell. Layden is looking for an All-Star caliber player in return for the Knicks' best and most popular player.

Since many of Layden's deals have backfired - he was here when Patrick Ewing was traded, and he made the moves for Howard Eisley, Shandon Anderson, Antonio McDyess, and Frank Williams - any trade of Sprewell would be the most important transaction he will have made during 3? years with the franchise.

OH DANNY BOY: Allan Houston sat out the second half of Thursday's 114-109 loss to the Lakers because of a bruised right wrist. He said he jammed it against Rick Fox. But TNT analyst Danny Ainge suggested it was because the Knicks were trailing by 15 at halftime and 30 after three quarters.

"If he knew me, he'd know I play in all games," said Houston, who has been playing with a sore back and sprained right big toe. "I don't sit out of games."

Houston, who has been playing with a sore back and sprained right big toe, had his wrist X-rayed twice and both were negative. He's listed as day-to-day, but because of the All-Star break, the Knicks don't play again until Wednesday.

KNICKS BRIEFS: The Knicks were 19-29 last season at the All-Star break. ... During Tuesday's 38-point game in which Sprewell set an NBA mark by going 9-for-9 on three-pointers, Sprewell moved into 20th place on the Knicks' all-time scoring list (5,755), passing Trent Tucker (5,725), and jumped into fifth in three-pointers made (322), surpassing Hubert Davis (317).

2. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

I just heard yesterday night, the grizzlies said that gooden and pau are untouchable.

3. jbbKnicks

I herd that are willing to part because they really like the other 7'2 guy I forgot his name. Daily news and NorthJersey said that.

4. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

Thanks for the info Knicks but from now on please try to shorten the article and only oinclude the important sections of the article, but always show the link.

5. jbbKnicks