Knicks Looking at Eddy Curry

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Bulls' frontcourt could get even more crowded with the addition of restricted free-agent forward Darius Songaila in the next few days.
    Such a move would make center Eddy Curry even more expendable. Indications are the New York Knicks still may want to take Curry, a restricted free agent, off the Bulls' hands.
    According to published reports, the Knicks continue to monitor the Curry situation closely in hopes they may be able to acquire him before the start of their preseason camp.
    While the Knicks recently addressed their need for a big man with the addition of free agent Jerome James, the 7-foot-1, 272-pound James is more of a banger than a scorer. As an established low-post threat, Curry might be an ideal complement for James in the middle.
    It's unclear what new Knicks head coach Larry Brown thinks about Curry as a player, but operations chief Isiah Thomas is known to be a Curry supporter. Curry is also close friends with Knicks guard Jamal Crawford, his former Bulls teammate.
    Bulls general manager John Paxson did not return phone calls the last two days.</div>
    Daily Southtown
    I would be glad to take Curry off the Bulls hands. He has that heart condition which reduces his value tremendously. This won?t scare off Isiah, though. He?s been interested in Curry when he first took over the Knicks organization. He even tried to rape the Bulls and offered them Moochie Norris and Shandon Anderson for Curry and Crawford.

At age 23, Curry still has plenty of potential. Not saying he?ll be the next Shaq, but he could become a very good center in the league ? especially in the East. Remember, Curry can also train with Mark Aguirre, too. He already has a good post game; Aguirre will just take his skills to another level.

The only question is what will the Bulls want? It?s not like we can fork over one of our expiring contracts; Curry is too cheap for that. I think the Bulls in return would want one of our young players. It definitely deserves consideration. If we can land Curry this off-season, I think it?ll be one to remember for us.

2. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Curry would not fit in with Larry Brown's philosophy. Larry Brown is defence 1st, scoring 2nd. Eddy Curry is scoring 1st, defense N/A.

The dude doesnt rebound (his highest average was 6.2RPG) yet he is 6'11". I'm not sure if he is reluctant to rebound, or he just can't, but whatever it is, Larry Brown won't like it.

Jerome James is more a Larry Brown type player, and I'm pretty sure Eddy Curry would not come off the bench. He could assume the role of Rasheed Wallace (who also isn't a very good rebounder), but he is not half the outside threat Sheed is, and also, I highly doubt Curry could play PF.

If this does happen, he would either be traded, or Jerome James would.

3. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

Do they even have enough money to sign Curry? Because i think the bulls were putting a bigger offer on the table for curry but only for one year

4. Miami Flash City

Miami Flash City JBB All Day

IMO, Curry would be a huge addition to any team, you dont find centers like that every day.

5. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor, two names for you to consider. Jerome James was just signed to a monster deal and you drafted Channing Frye and David Lee, dont forget about Sweetney the guy from Georgetown you drafted 2 years back, What do you do next? Sign another Center! Good job, Isiah, Good job.

PS: I know Sweetney isnt a center but he's a big man and you guys starting talking about putting Curry at PF.

6. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

We should do everything in we can to bring Curry aboard. I dont like Curry much because of his work ethic, weak defense and even worse rebounding but he is still a big body and he can score in the low post. Jerome James has a tendency to get into foul trouble and even if he didnt get into foul trouble he still isnt the scorer Curry is. With Curry and Sweetney playing alongside each other we'll be able to score alot of points in the paint which in turn would make things that much easier for the guys on the perimeter. He isnt a Larry Brown kind of player but the Knicks sorely need size up front. We should do what we can to get Curry-somethint reasonable- and trade Frye. Maybe we can get the Bulls to take Fyre off our hands since the Bulls wont be needing Curry and will probably want a young powerforward as Harrington and Davis wont be playing forever.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

Where's the money though? I know Eddy has had some complications, but he will probably still get something in the $6.5 mil/year range, the Knicks can't really offer that.

8. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

A sign-and-trade works, but the contract has to be over at least 3 years for it to work. I wouldn't wanna give Curry a 3-year guaranteed contract, let alone giving up players for him.

9. tiny dancer

tiny dancer JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] @ the title!

The Knicks can look at him all they would like ~ but after reality sets in, theyll go back to setting their sites on gigantic pieces of garbage named Jerome James. I wouldnt let Isiah run a 7-11.

10. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tiny dancer:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] @ the title!

The Knicks can look at him all they would like ~ but after reality sets in, theyll go back to setting their sites on gigantic pieces of garbage named Jerome James. I wouldnt let Isiah run a 7-11.</div>

Why cant the Knicks get him? It seems noone wants to take a risk on him. Not even the Hawks were desperate enough to give him long term deal. The Bulls certainly dont need Curry either since they have plently of quality bigs to replace him not to mention the fear that he'll go back to his lazy ways after he gets a fat contract. A sign and trade could work. We might have to throw in some young talent(i.e. Channing Fyre) but the Bulls wont be looking to get equal value for Curry so much as getting something for him. You're right about not letting Isiah Thomas run a 7-11 though.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

There's nothing wrong with the Knicks inquiring about Eddie Curry. They have the pieces to trade for him, and the Knicks have no qualms about taking risks on players. The Knicks could offer Mike Sweetney and an expiring contract for Curry and Piatkowski. I think a three year deal with team options in year two and three is reasonable. If Curry's health becomes an issue the Knicks would opt out.

12. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I dont think Songaila's signing would make Eddy Curry expendable at all. I was thinking that they signed Songaila so that they would have a good shooting PF which would force opposing teams to make Curry go one on one with opposing Cs.

Also the Knicks have almost no means of getting Curry. Who could they offer in a sign and trade that would be appealing to Chicago? Jamal Crawford?

13. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Bulls certainly dont need Curry either</div>
    [​IMG]

It would be quite foolish of Isaiah to try to get Curry after signing Jerome James to such a big deal. However, stranger things have happened, and if Curry has to be dealt I'd rather deal him out of the conference.

14. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">There's nothing wrong with the Knicks inquiring about Eddie Curry. They have the pieces to trade for him, and the Knicks have no qualms about taking risks on players. The Knicks could offer Mike Sweetney and an expiring contract for Curry and Piatkowski. I think a three year deal with team options in year two and three is reasonable. If Curry's health becomes an issue the Knicks would opt out.</div>

Under the new CBA, a sign-and-trade requires the player(s) involved to be signed to a minimum 3-year guaranteed contract with no team options or player options for the second and third years.

15. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I would think the Knicks can get him if he settles for a one-year over for like 5 million or something...and then they can try and re-sign him next year...but if they do get him, they would have made incredibel strides this offseason...but thats IF they get him because I think he addresses a sore need for them...

16. adiii

adiii JBB JustBBall Member

As a Bulls fan I don't want to see Curry leave, but the Bulls still have enough talent to go far without him for many years to come, it would be nice to see Curry reunited with Crawford who I like a lot.

By the way, Isiah Thomas is the man.

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Eddy Curry's options seem to be dwindling. Short of a team such as the New York Knicks or Los Angeles Lakers throwing caution to the wind for Curry, a restricted free agent whose heart problems have complicated his contract options, it appears he will have to agree to the Bulls' qualifying offer of one year for $5.14 million, plus incentives.</div>
    Chicago Sun-Times
    Isiah will probably want to work out a sign and trade deal for Curry, but who would you want to give? Sweetney? I know we all like him here, but with the amount of power forwards we have, do you think he'll be necessary? The Bulls would want some young talent for Curry and Sweetney seems like a player they'd want.

18. Equint77

Equint77 JBB JustBBall Member

well if the Knicks swap Sweetney for Curry.... I'm for it. But not a deal longer than 3 years. It sounds unrealistic cause Curry's gonna want a long term deal.

At first I was hoping Isiah would go after Curry but with the heart problems... I'm not so sure it would even happen... look at the Nets and their inability to sign a player who's capable of passing their phsyical.

I guess at this point Mike for Eddie would be a good risk. Like Crawford I think Larry Brown can turn him around. And if that were to happen he's capable of solid double doubles.

19. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Apparently one of the problems in the contract negotiations between Curry and the Bulls is that they can't get contract insurance for his heart condition. If the Knicks part with one of their young forwards and offer Curry more than one guaranteed year, they'll probably be able to get him. Its risky to offer him more than a year, but Isiah has shown that he's willing to take risks with signings and trades.

If you can get him without giving up too much, I think the Knicks should go for it. Curry, despite his injury concerns, crappy defense, and lack of work ethic, is still better than the majority of the centers in the East. I suppose Brown could play both Curry and James by committee, to see try and get them motivated.

20. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I don?t think a Sweetney for Curry deal would be in the best interest of the Bulls. Tyson Chandler is not bulked up enough to play center, and draw double teams in the post. There for he can not start at center not to mention his offensive game most notably his post up game is not very refined. Should we acquire Sweetney he would be to small to play center making him a life time backup to Tyson Chandler. I don?t see the Bulls letting Curry go without acquiring someone who can give them at least some minutes at center. It was also reported in an article today that Paxson has yet to be contacted by any organization interested in a sign and trade for Curry so I don?t see much truth this rumor. In addition to the fact that should they acquire Curry they would have a huge log jam at center. With James ( big money), Frye (lottery pick), and Curry (23 years old).