Kobe or Shaq?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by NBAddict, Feb 20, 2003.

1. NBAddict

NBAddict JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"Since I suffered the [toe] injury on company time, why shouldn't I also be able to get surgery and do recovery on company time?" Shaq told the Chicago Sun-Times. "If a regular worker gets injured and sick on his job, do they force him to use his vacation time to have an operation and to get well?

"I shouldn't have to spend the whole year on the job. I deserve to enjoy some vacation time, too, especially since I've been working overtime winning championships."</div>

I'm sure Dr. Buss really enjoyed those comments.

Unfortunately Kobe is saving his, um, butt. Only problem is, where will the Lakers be if Kobe goes down?

I don't think a healthy, in shape Shaq is possible any more. I do think a healthy, in shape Kobe is possible.

Which Laker team would win more games? One without Shaq or one without Kobe?

2. snownation

snownation JBB JustBBall Member

it doesnt seem like shaq is gonna be healthy for long periods of time for the rest of his career, which is basically a shame since he's one of the greatest centers ever, maybe next year he will be in good shape all year. i dont like to talk about weight but it seems like his weight is causing his injuries now. not that he's fat, he probably has hardly any fat in his body, he is just too big with muscles and everything. he should get a trainer like dirk nowitzki's, who doesnt want to just build muscle, but build basketball skills and flexibility and stuff.

and im sure everyone would still pick shaq to start a team, or be the one playing for the lakers instead of kobe, but with the streak kobe is on, i think u would take kobe now! i probably would.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Despite the way Kobe is playing, I still would take Shaq over Kobe. Shaq is much harder to stop and he easily dominates the lack of centers in the league. Put Shaq on any team and you should make the playoffs. I don't think Kobe has the same impact.

4. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

Definetely Shaq, it has been proven that Kobe cannot carry his team successfully.

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">it has been proven that Kobe cannot carry his team successfully</div>

Wrong,kobe hasn't had his own team yet..so you can't say he can't lead a team when he hasn't got one just for him yet.I would choose kobe as for the future...and is playing great now.

6. SCBrian

SCBrian JBB JustBBall Member

"Definetely Shaq, it has been proven that Kobe cannot carry his team successfully."

no it hasnt...

i had a longer response...but if you're still gonna make a statement like this then you're obviously just a kobe hater who refuses to open their eyes...and so you'll never get it...

7. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Wrong,kobe hasn't had his own team yet..so you can't say he can't lead a team when he hasn't got one just for him yet.</div>
    Try at the beginning of the season, I didn't say for the whole season. But fore that amount of time he wasn't able to.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">i had a longer response...but if you're still gonna make a statement like this then you're obviously just a kobe hater who refuses to open their eyes...and so you'll never get it...</div>
    Ok yeah buddy, that's why he is one of the top players in my mind. He is a great player and all I just don't like his attitude, same as Rasheed Wallace, Kenyon Martin, Ron Artest; all great players but I just hate the way they act.

8. SCBrian

SCBrian JBB JustBBall Member

rasheed wallace, kenyon martin, and ron artest...

dont deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Kobe Bryant

they are not even close to his level as a player or as a person...

why hate on Kobe? because he's good and he knows it? and he doesnt try to hide it? who cares?

you say the guy is selfish and is a glory hog...

you didn't see the way kobe carried himself after the rockets game on tuesday night...52 8 and 7 with 3 blocks...that is an AMAZING performance...and Kobe must have been extremely happy with himself following that win...but do you know what he did? he was in the middle of being interviewed by TNT when he saw Mark Madsen at the corner of the court...and he ran over and jumped on Madsen's back...to congratulate him...why? because he was thrilled with teh way madsen had played...madsen had prolly just played one of the best games of his nba career and he did it when the Lakers needed it out of him the most...

Kobe had something to prove when he came in the league...his play and his attitude reflect that...in another espn article, one of the writers was tagging along with kobe on a road trip doing an extended interview kinda thing...they had an evening game the next night...most of the Lakers had gone out to a club or a bar...Kobe stayed back by himself...the writer suggested that Kobe and he go get some food...Kobe said 'ok but i have to be back at the hotel by 11:30'...when the writer asked why...kobe told him that he had a meeting with the trainer at 7:30 the next morning...he was going to go work out and practice in the morning so that he would be on for the game...

he is the most dedicated player in the NBA...never stops working to improve his game and that is why he's become such a superior player...i love the protective nature he has about his personal life and his family...that is his business and no one else's...and hes' right for doing this...

yah he comes off a bit cocky...but in an era where 'the bad boy' is the norm and if ur not one of them then ur a pussy...kobe has to have some sort of edge to him...i think thats his edge...

9. the MDE

the MDE JBB JustBBall Member

It has yet to be proven if Kobe can handle his own team.

You can't say that he didn't lead the Laker team early in the season because look who he had playing with him:

Soumalia Samake- He is a scrub that played for the Nets briefly and then got signed by the Lakers. No impact whatsoever. Eventually was cut..

Madsen- Undersized, gives heart, but can be only considered a role-player at best.

Fox- Rick has been declining and had a suspension and missed the first 6 games. That didn't help. He was rusty also.

Pargo- Undrafted rook who wasn't expected to do any good. Didn't come into form until late-season.

Rush- Also a rook; little experience, is a jumpshooter. So his shots just didn't fall.

S.Walker- We all know about Butterfinger Samaki. He was just not good and never very productive cuz he couldn't hold onto the ball!

Slava- Slava never got any PT and had a broken pinkie.

George- Also had nagging injuries and an ankle problem. Injuries built up.

Horry- Old man Rob. Yay! He only made like 2-38 three-pointers in the playoffs and just wasn't himself. Ran out of gas...

Fisher and George were the only ones to really give Kobe much help early in the season.

You know how the Lakers are usually "rusty" until the end of the season as they make a push towards the playoffs. Kobe had to lead a team that was rusty,injured,young, and not very talented. 2 of the games he lost in that span were by just 2-3 points. It wasn't his fault.

A whole lotta' help!!! [​IMG]

10. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">Wrong,kobe hasn't had his own team yet...</div>

uh.. what was the lakers record during the games shaq missed in the beginning of the season?

11. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting airforce1s:</div><div class="quote_post">uh.. what was the lakers record during the games shaq missed in the beginning of the season?</div>

Look at the date of these posts. This thread is 6+ months old.

12. cross yo ova

cross yo ova JBB Banned Member

jes back in feb

13. TommyFabs

TommyFabs JBB JustBBall Member

im gonna have to say shaq. If you were to re-draft the whole NBA shaq would go 1st. He is the most dominant player in the NBA right now. He is 7 feet tall and weight over 300 pounds...that can't be stopped

14. t-mac

t-mac JBB JustBBall Member

its gotta b shaq, hands down, when shaq was injured at the start of last season kobe was the leader and the lakers sucked. shaq is the man in LA

15. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

Shaq is what makes the lakers win and being without him makes them lose

16. Ghost

Ghost BBW Member

Without shaq The lakers would be a 500 team.