Kobe to the Blazers?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ilive4ball, May 27, 2007.

1. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

I know what you're thinking. I'm on crack. I did stay out late last night drinking but I'm completely coherant. ESPN.COM is reporting that Kobe might want to be traded from the lakers because they're going nowhere:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Bryant told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that he wants the Lakers to bring West back to the organization and give him full authority. If the Lakers don't want to do that, Bryant said he wants to be traded.

</div> -ESPN.COM

So...where to? Well not a lot of teams in the league can afford him, and even more so- not many teams have the peices to get him. We're talking the best player in the game, in his prime, more motivated than ever... yeah, not gonna come cheap.

The players in the Kobe-sweepstakes? ESPN is saying he could land in Chicago. They have the young peices to do it and salary cap space (somehow, anyone heard of Ben Wallace?) to afford him. Besides the fact that Kobe would never live down Jordan comparisons in Chicago, I really don't think they have enough to offer. Luol Deng? Kirk Heinrich? Ben Gordon? Those players are nice, but hardly enough to bring in #23's clone.

So anyways, I'm rambling at this point but here's what I'm thinking. Portland has the peices to get this done, but it's gonna take some shady business dealings on the part of Kevin Pritchard. Not shady actually, just savvy. Very very savvy. Below is the step by step plan to getting Kobe into portland Without trading ANY of our promising young guys.

Blazers sign Rashard Lewis from the sonics.
    Blazers trade Rashard Lewis and Zach Randolph for Kobe bryant.

It's really that simple.

That gives the lakers a GREAT slate to start over with: an All-star caliber PF, and an All star SF/SG to pair with Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum in LA.

LAKERS
    PG- Jordan Farmar
    SG- Rashard Lewis
    SF- Lamar Odom
    PF- Zach Randolph
    C- Andrew Bynum.

BLAZERS
    PG- Jarett Jack
    SG- Brandon Roy
    SF- Kobe Bryant
    PF- LaMarcus Aldridge
    C- Greg Oden

That makes sense and is heaven for both teams. The Blazers will be an instant championship contender, and you could argue the same for the Lakers.

What does everyone think? The one hold up here is I'm not sure what the policy is on signing a player than trading him immediately when you're luring him from another team. I know if he's already your player you can do sign and trades but I'm not sure if that applies when the player is signing with a new team and then being traded...

2. Dark Hero

Dark Hero Can't Tell Me Nothing

No no and no if La trades KOBE BRYANT there going to ask for Oden for sure unless they were drunk or on drugs.Zach Randolph and Oden for Kobe seems fair enough.

3. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">lakersfan171 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">No no and no if La trades KOBE BRYANT there going to ask for Oden for sure unless they were drunk or on drugs.Zach Randolph and Oden for Kobe seems fair enough.</div>Oden AND Randolph? Teams aren't that desperate for Kobe, man. He's one of the best players in the league, but that doesn't mean you do anything to get him.

4. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Oden AND Randolph? Teams aren't that desperate for Kobe, man. He's one of the best players in the league, but that doesn't mean you do anything to get him.</div>

Thank you. Thats why my proposal works. The Blazers aren't giving up Oden, nor should they have to. Lewis and Zach should be more than enough to get it done.

5. Dark Hero

Dark Hero Can't Tell Me Nothing

<div class="quote_poster">ilive4ball Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Thank you. Thats why my proposal works. The Blazers aren't giving up Oden, nor should they have to. Lewis and Zach should be more than enough to get it done.</div>

If Portland isn't going to give up Oden for Kobe i don't think they will even get the trade (if it ever happens).
    Lewis is a no good player and the same for Randolph.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

You're crazy to think the Lakers won't demand the number #1 pick if this farfetch'd rumor does have some merit to it. They'll demand Jack, this year's #1, next year's #1, Zbo, and some fillers.

7. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Mamba Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You're crazy to think the Lakers won't demand the number #1 pick if this farfetch'd rumor does have some merit to it. They'll demand Jack, this year's #1, next year's #1, Zbo, and some fillers.</div>

lol

We don't need a superstar quite yet. We don't need to win quite yet. What we do need, is to develop the talent that we already have, or will have come the draft.

Throwing our future down the hole for Kobe is absolutely ridiculous, and you'd have to be crazy to think the Blazers would that. The OP's scenario isn't actually that bad, both teams improve, but that isn't something the Blazers need right now; imo.

8. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Mamba Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You're crazy to think the Lakers won't demand the number #1 pick if this farfetch'd rumor does have some merit to it. They'll demand Jack, this year's #1, next year's #1, Zbo, and some fillers.</div>Are you joking or serious? First, I don't think you can trade your own first round pick for consecutive years.

Second, Oden, Jack, Fred Jones (to make trade work) and Randolph and a #1 for Kobe, would leave Portland with:

C: Joel Pryzbilla
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge/LaFrentz
    SF: Kobe Bryant/D. Miles
    SG: Brandon Roy/Webster
    PG: Sergio Rodriguez/Dickau

Lakers:
    C: Greg Oden//Kwame
    PF: Zach Randolph// Radmonovic
    SF: Lamar Odom// Luke Walton
    SG: Fred Jones// Evans
    PG: Jarret Jack // Farmar

Hmmm, actually this trade might be better for both teams. I think more talent is going to the Lakers, however Portland still has enough big men depth to get by without Oden and Randolph.

9. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

but why would anyone trade a 20 year old upcoming center for a 28 year old shooting guard?

10. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Well, Im sure the Lakers would ask for Oden, BUt ilive4ball's trade looks good to me. But, No way the lakers would take it. For them to give up kobe, they might even ask for Roy, who is an up and coming SG.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Interesting trade scenario, but you have to keep in mind the Lakers would want premium value for Kobe Bryant if they traded him to the West. The duo of Rashard Lewis and Zach Randolph isn't even close. Shard wants max money, and Randolph is making max money, if the Lakers wanted to rebuild, they would require some cap flexibility. They would also want some "in case **** happens" insurance for Zach Randolph, so Portland would likely have to include Brandon Roy. To make the deal work Lakers would also have to send Kwame over.

Blazers Projected Lineup

PG - Jack
    SG - Kobe
    SF - Webster or Miles
    PF - Aldridge
    C - Oden

Lakers Projected Lineup

PG - Odom
    SG - Roy
    SF - Shard / Walton
    PF - ZBo
    C - Bynum

12. whitehops_raps

whitehops_raps JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">PG - Odom</div>
    [​IMG]

13. Master Shake

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Interesting trade scenario, but you have to keep in mind the Lakers would want premium value for Kobe Bryant if they traded him to the West. The duo of Rashard Lewis and Zach Randolph isn't even close. Shard wants max money, and Randolph is making max money, if the Lakers wanted to rebuild, they would require some cap flexibility. They would also want some "in case **** happens" insurance for Zach Randolph, so Portland would likely have to include Brandon Roy. To make the deal work Lakers would also have to send Kwame over.

Blazers Projected Lineup

PG - Jack
    SG - Kobe
    SF - Webster or Miles
    PF - Aldridge
    C - Oden

Lakers Projected Lineup

PG - Odom
    SG - Roy
    SF - Shard / Walton
    PF - ZBo
    C - Bynum</div>

Odom can't play point, he isnt a good enough ball handler IMO.

14. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

What do you guys think the Lakers did these past two seasons? Let Smush bring the ball up court most of the time. Odom can play the point in the triangle...but I do agree, he'd struggle in most other offenses.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">whitehops_raps Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Ford_11 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Odom can't play point, he isnt a good enough ball handler IMO.</div>

Why can't Odom play point guard? The Lakers run the Triangle offense, and he spends a lot of minutes managing the game and facilitating the offense. Obviously he wouldn't be guarding the opposing teams PG, that would have to fall on Brandon Roy, and the Lakers would have to work on playing a lot more zone defense.

The Triangle offense is predicated on taking advantage of mismatches. A mismatch forces a team to double in the post, and then the ball movement and spacing is created to open up the floor for the other 4 players. An opposing team will have to contend with Odom or Roy being defended in the post against a smaller point guard.

16. Master Shake

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why can't Odom play point guard? The Lakers run the Triangle offense, and he spends a lot of minutes managing the game and facilitating the offense. Obviously he wouldn't be guarding the opposing teams PG, that would have to fall on Brandon Roy, and the Lakers would have to work on playing a lot more zone defense.

The Triangle offense is predicated on taking advantage of mismatches. A mismatch forces a team to double in the post, and then the ball movement and spacing is created to open up the floor for the other 4 players. An opposing team will have to contend with Odom or Roy being defended in the post against a smaller point guard.</div>

So, he won't be that type of steve nash PG. Then he is a good fit for the point. He runs that Triangle offense well. Him and Roy could be a huge threat together.