Kovalainen completes McLaren move

Discussion in 'Racing' started by CelticKing, Dec 14, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Kovalainen completes McLaren move</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

<font size="2">Finland's Heikki Kovalainen has joined McLaren and will race alongside Lewis Hamilton in 2008.</font></p>

<font size="2">The 26-year-old, who scored 30 points in his maiden F1 season with Renault, has signed a "long-term contract". </font></p>

<font size="2">"I think Lewis and Heikki will be a formidable combination," said McLaren chief executive Martin Whitmarsh. "I am confident they'll work well together." </font></p>

<font size="2">Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa, who had been vying with Kovalainen for a race seat, will remain as test driver. </font></p>

<font size="2">McLaren were left looking for a second driver after Fernando Alonso left the team to return to Renault following a turbulent season in which he fell out with boss Ron Dennis and Hamilton. </font></p>

<font size="2">Norbert Haug, vice-president of McLaren's engine partner Mercedes, said he was confident Hamilton and Kovalainen would form a strong partnership. </font></p>

<font size="2">"Everybody in the team is looking forward to a very fruitful co-operation," he said. </font></p>

<font size="2">"Lewis and Heikki will form one of the youngest driver line-ups, and I am convinced that both will be very strong and at the same time co-operative competitors." </font></p>

<font size="2">Kovalainen - who has written a regular column for the BBC Sport website this year - had already been linked with a move to McLaren when it was confirmed earlier in December that Alonso and Nelson Piquet Jr would fill the race seats at Renault next season. </font></p>

<font size="2">By joining McLaren, Kovalainen follows in the footsteps of fellow Finns Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen. </font></p>

<font size="2">"It's an honour for me to follow in Mika and Kimi's footsteps," he said. </font></p>

<font size="2">"I haven't really spent a lot of time with Lewis so far but from what I know I think we will work well together and do our best for the team." </font></p>

<font size="2">Hamilton, 22, welcomed Kovalainen's arrival. </font></p>

<font size="2">"I am really looking forward to 2008 and working with Heikki as my team-mate," said the Briton, who finished second in last season's championship. </font></p>

<font size="2">"Together with the team we will do everything we can to ensure that our championship challenge is as strong and focused as possible." </font></p>

</div></p>

2. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

Nice move for Mclaren. Lets see them Win the Constructors and Hamilton winning the Drivers Championship.

3. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

Unless they cheat again [​IMG]

I liked the way Kovalainen drove last year. Obviously he was held back by an inadequate car, but his style was good and I think he is a good pickup for McLaren. Let's just see if Hamilton can't win the championship next year [​IMG]

4. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

New season getting closer, I think Hamilton or Raikonnen Will win it this season with Mclaren getting the Constructors:D