Kovy to sign 2-3y/6m deal

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Apparently. Not bad in term and we can always flip him for assets if needed.

2. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Only if there is no ntc involved.
    This does nothing unless they bring in a tavarse to go along with kovy

3. Ranger71

Tavares won't come here nor will they have 9m to sign him. I don't think they'll let Kovy lock them down with clauses. They should still have another 5-6m to add an additional forward or dman and maybe they move out a contract.

4. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Disagree Al. I have said for a while now I would give Kovy a 2-year deal with a bumped up AAV if need be (6-low 6's) for sure. If he wants 3 years I'd lower the AAV into the 5's, but I bet we can get him for 2 years at 6-6.2 mill per. I think he'd be a perfect fit here.

I also say again, some of you will be in for a disappointment if you expect us to be embarking on a 3 or 4 year journey to build the team up. We'll have 25 mill in cap space, we have plenty of picks to move around, and we have NYC and MSG...we will be very active around/at the draft and in free agency. I really don't see anyway the vision here is next year we have a down team and maybe start building with all kids...not happening. Only thing I do see is no crazy long deals (unless it is a total stud/special player). I think we'll be capped at 3-year deals in free agency.

I expect we'll have a solid WC type team next season. And then in two years be moving back towards the top again. That is my expectation, and what I believe Gorton is shooting for as well.

5. Ranger71

3/18 is a fair deal i think for him as he's still a pretty solid player, and may help PB develop to a higher level.

6. RangersFan

Agreed. This is exactly the deal I was expecting. 2 or 3 years with an AAV around 6 mill or so. Never expected it to be longer or for much more money. I figured Kovy wanted to be here, and would be open to 3 years max at a reasonable #. It really is a perfect fit and a great start for a team that 100% intends to be very competitive next season. That was never a question to me.

Expect a lot of moves from us through July 5th. This is the first step. Seeing if we get lottery luck is step 2. Then we go from there.

7. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

I absolutely think Tavares will come here and they have plenty of money to sign him. Spooner, Namestnikov, McLeod, Desharcrap will not be back. Expect Spooner and Namestnikov to be traded at the draft. Beleskey probably will be bought out. They have more than enough money to sign him. Don't rule out Staal being dealt with some retained either. His value is better now.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. RangersFan

I still don't see Tavares coming here and totally f'ing the Isles by going to their biggest rival for similar money he can get from many teams.

I also wouldn't dismiss buying Staal out if they cannot move him (I agree moving him and retaining some $$$ is the ideal scenario). As for Beleskey, I personally wouldn't buy him out given his cap hit is only 1.9 mill (which means 1 mill +/- if he is sent to the minors).

Overall though I agree we will be very active. I think that is the key here. What exact moves we make no one knows, but we will be very active we agree there for sure.

9. Ranger71

Here's hoping Toronto knocks off Boston too.

10. kreidertime

True. Beleskey to the minors probably makes more sense. I think Tavares wants to screw over Snow because he's an incompetent moron who has put shit around him on defense and in goal for his entire career there. I think he wants to make an example of him. Gorton in a few days already accumulated more talented defenseman prospects than Snow has in almost a decade with a ton of super high picks.

11. kreidertime

Let's examine Snow's stupidity. In 2011 with no defenseman on his team he takes Strome and passes up on D. Hamilton. Moron. In 2012, he drafts Reinhart who sucks and the defenseman taken in the next 5 picks are Reilly, Lindhold, Dumba, Pouliot and Trouba. Moron. Even Pouliot is better than Reinhart. In 2013 he takes Pulock and got one right. In 2014 he takes Dal Colle who sucks when he has nobody for the most part on D in his system. Passes on Hayden Fleury, one of the safest picks in the draft who is now in the NHL making his mark. Moron. In 2015 he takes Barzal. Not a great draft for D men. Hits a HR there. 2016 he takes Bellows. Still no D men in the system. TBD but one of the guys he passed on was Hajek. The guy is a complete dumbass.

The concept of defense is lost on this asswipe. I'm sure it's not lost on Tavares.

12. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Would love to see Tavares here but 1) is he really gonna join a rebuilding team and 2) would really be a kick in the teeth to the islanders if he left them to join the Rangers. Kony I don't have a problem with. Its short term and we have the money and although I've never heard anything of him as a mentor maybe he does with our young russian players like Buch.

13. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Not bad. Hopefully that’s true. With Kovy, Zib, Kreider, Buch, Zucc, Hayes, Vesey, Shatt, Hank and maybe Tavares I see no reason why they his team can’t compete for at least the playoffs next year