Kyle Williams thanks true fans, team

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by truebluefan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Kyle Williams said Monday in an ESPN Radio interview that he is shocked by the threats he has received on social media platforms but thanked "true 49ers fans" and his teammates for their support in the aftermath of his fumble that cost the San Francisco 49ers a trip to the Super Bowl.

In an interview with ESPN Radio's "Hill & Schlereth" on Monday night, the 49ers receiver, who muffed two punt returns that ending up costing his team 10 points Sunday, said his family had warned him that fans' reactions to his performance likely would be ugly. His fumble in overtime set up the Giants for a short field goal, which they converted for the win in the NFC Championship Game.

"It was kind of shocking," Williams said of receiving the threats. "I kind of had been forewarned before I even got to the point where I could check it. I was forewarned by some of my family members and some of my friends that were there to not to look at the Twitter and the Facebook because it was going to be pretty bad."

Williams talked of the imaginary "line" that exists between athletes and fans, one that has become blurred, especially in the age of social media.

"Some people cross that line and don't think twice about it ... don't think that there's somebody on the other side of that line that may feel that or that may have to respond to that or may have to deal with that," Williams said.

"People just write blindly and I guess that's to be expected with how open Twitter is and how open Facebook is. Again, there's a line and some people cross it and some people have respect for it."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7496682/san-francisco-49ers-wr-kyle-williams-fans-threats-shocking