LA Lakers @ Golden State Warriors 11/01/2006

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by trg_tony, Nov 1, 2006.

1. trg_tony

trg_tony JBB JustBBall Member

Warriors Starting Lineup
    PG: Baron Davis
    SG: Jason Richardson
    SF: Mikael Pietrus
    PF: Mike Dunleavy
    C: Troy Murphy

Lakers Starting Lineup
    PG: Smush Parker
    SG: Sasha Vujacic
    SF: Luke Walton
    PF: Lamar Odom
    C: Andrew Bynum

Hopefully JRich looks like Kobe tonight with Sasha guarding him. Smush won't be able to stop Baron or Monta. Hopefully we win this one [​IMG]

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

For some odd reason, I don't see Sasha starting after seeing Mo Evans play last night. He absolutely tore it up on offense and was a force on defense as well. You guys better hope you have better luck stopping Odom and Bynum, otherwise it's going to be a long night for your starting frontline.

My prediction is that the Lakers take this one, with or without Kobe. Odom looked like a man possessed last night against that undersized frontline of Phoenix, and tonight, he gets another undersized frontline to torch. I'd look for a very similar statline from him tonight. Bynum should also have a big game down low. Look for a double double from him and Odom tonight, as there's no one for the Warriors, outside of Murphy, that can keep them off the boards. Bynum should be able to punish Murphy down on the block tonight, just like he did Diaw and Thomas last night.

As for you guys, in order to win, it's simple. You need to control the tempo, something the Suns didn't do in the second half, and keep the Lakers off the boards, something the Suns didn't do all game. If you don't do either, there's no way you win. You also have to not fall in love with the trey. Baron and JRich each love it, and if they're chucking all night long instead of going to the hole all night long, they're not going to win.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Thx for starting the thread, tony. BTW good to see you again [​IMG]

4. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Moo2K4 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    My prediction is that the Lakers take this one, with or without Kobe. Odom looked like a man possessed last night against that undersized frontline of Phoenix, and tonight, he gets another undersized frontline to torch. I'd look for a very similar statline from him tonight. Bynum should also have a big game down low. Look for a double double from him and Odom tonight, as there's no one for the Warriors, outside of Murphy, that can keep them off the boards. Bynum should be able to punish Murphy down on the block tonight, just like he did Diaw and Thomas last night.

As for you guys, in order to win, it's simple. You need to control the tempo, something the Suns didn't do in the second half, and keep the Lakers off the boards, something the Suns didn't do all game. If you don't do either, there's no way you win. You also have to not fall in love with the trey. Baron and JRich each love it, and if they're chucking all night long instead of going to the hole all night long, they're not going to win.</div>

No question that Dun+Murph will be punished, however I think Diogu, O'Bryant, and Biedrins will be able to do a decent job of protecting the paint and grabbing boards. If Ike is downlow, I'd say he'd punish the Lakers frontline as well. And Baron doesn't chuck 3's anymore, with Nelson around, nobody wants to piss him off.

The game could go either way. Who knows who will win, but it will definitely be an interesting game.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

A team that doesn't chuck treys with Nelson? That'd be the day. You never watched Dallas when he coached, did you? That was a huge part of their offense, and I'd assume it'll be a huge part of their offense in Golden State as well.

As for the GSW ability to defend the paint, no way they can do it. Murphy will get punished by both Odom and Bynum. O'Bryant isn't ready to contribute in this league yet, and if he does see playing time, he's going to get pounded by the much bigger and stronger Andrew Bynum. O'Bryant had an awful preseason, and I doubt he does much in his first year in the league. With Diogu, he may be a lot stronger, but if he's guarding Odom, he'll get blown right by on the perimeter, and if he's on Bynum, Bynum will use his length and height advantage on him all night, just like he did to Diaw, who is very similar in size to Ike. And for Biedrins...he's got the same issue as O'Bryant. He's not that strong right now and he's not overly quick either. No matter which way you look at it, height, quickness, strength, the Warriors are at a disadvantage when guarding the Lakers bigs.

6. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Moo2K4 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">A team that doesn't chuck treys with Nelson? That'd be the day. You never watched Dallas when he coached, did you? That was a huge part of their offense, and I'd assume it'll be a huge part of their offense in Golden State as well.
    </div>

Nope, thats where you're wrong. Nelson knows the Warriors aren't a strong 3pt team, and theres been several articles stating that he wants the Warriors to shoot a lot less threes. He's stated it several times as well. Thank god. Nelson uses the offensive tools the Warriors has, and 3pt isn't one of them.

He inserted a rule that if you miss 2 treys in a row that you can't shoot another until you penetrate.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">the Warriors are at a disadvantage when guarding the Lakers bigs.</div>

When hasn't this been true for any team? Warriors frontline can't guard anything. But thats not Nelsons goal. He wants to play small.

7. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Moo2K4 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">A team that doesn't chuck treys with Nelson? That'd be the day. You never watched Dallas when he coached, did you? That was a huge part of their offense, and I'd assume it'll be a huge part of their offense in Golden State as well.

As for the GSW ability to defend the paint, no way they can do it. Murphy will get punished by both Odom and Bynum. O'Bryant isn't ready to contribute in this league yet, and if he does see playing time, he's going to get pounded by the much bigger and stronger Andrew Bynum. O'Bryant had an awful preseason, and I doubt he does much in his first year in the league. With Diogu, he may be a lot stronger, but if he's guarding Odom, he'll get blown right by on the perimeter, and if he's on Bynum, Bynum will use his length and height advantage on him all night, just like he did to Diaw, who is very similar in size to Ike. And for Biedrins...he's got the same issue as O'Bryant. He's not that strong right now and he's not overly quick either. No matter which way you look at it, height, quickness, strength, the Warriors are at a disadvantage when guarding the Lakers bigs.</div>

Disagree about Biedrins. He's one of the quicker F/C's in the league. Not sure where you saw that he wasn't that quick. Maybe we're overrating Bynum just a tad?

Diogu is similar in size to Diaw? Maybe height, but Diogu is much stronger and wider. That's like comparing Danny Fortson to Danny Granger.

Other than that. We'll see. Depth is a key aspect of the Warriors offense this year. If the Lakers got mostly the frontcourt on their side, we've got 3 levels of guards we can use to push the ball constantly and some gifted frontcourt players of our own who can be used as a mismatch. Not sure if the Suns could do that with some of their key guys injured. Wasn't Marion out and Amare seeing limited action? After those guys are out, I think our Warriors bigs are about equal or better. Murphy can kind of play a poorer defense, better offense version of Kurt Thomas. Dunleavy can be a factor along with some of our defensive guys like Pietrus or Barnes. Don't count the warriors out yet. The Lakers aren't THAT good. Of course you never did, though, Moo.

8. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Biedrins has put on a lot of muscle over the offseason, and reduced his body fat significantly. I think he's both stronger and quicker than last year. Only a matter of time before he pushes Murphy out of the C position IMO. I bet he's playing 25 minutes a game by the All-Star break.

OK now if I could start Ike or Monta as a utility in my fantasy game, which one would you choose? IOW, which one has a greater chance of getting PT vs. the Lakers? I also have Dejuan Wagner, but I'm not sure he brings a lot other than scoring, and I'm pretty good there already with Baron, Hinrich, Gilbert, and Nash as starters. I'm going Nellieball in fantasy, hah!

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Here's my game preview for tonight's game. I'm looking forward to a competitive matchup. Also feel free to participate for the monthly prize I'm offering for making the right pre-game predictions.

Game Preview -- Lakers v. Warriors

Go Lakers!

10. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Talk is cheap. We will see when the game is over....[​IMG]

11. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

</div>

The warriors didn't shoot nearly as many threes in the preseason and Nelson plans to use Richardson and Davis closer to the basket then have them stand at the 3 point line.

We'll win.

12. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

BTW Bynum looks good for a 19 year old but he's not a good defender either and can't protect the basket.

13. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

This will be fun! The Warriors have the edge in this game. They are at home, they have the better roster(with Kobe, Mihm, and Kwame injured), the better coach(with Phil not on the road trip), etc.

I think tonight is going to be Baron's show. I think Andris Biedrins is going to have a very good game. I think Baron will control the game and use both Ike like he did against the Pistons last season and Andris to help the Warriors' cause and work Bynum and Odom in the post. The Warriors should focus on attacking the hoop with players like Ike Diogu, Monta Ellis, and Mickael Pietrus to work Odom and Bynum some more.

Though there is no certainty that Murphy and Dunleavy will perform great tonight, I think however that the Lakers might have equally if not a bigger problem trying to maintain Baron, Jason, and Mickael.

This will be a very very good game. A game that can put the Warriors in first place to start the season [​IMG]

14. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    OK now if I could start Ike or Monta as a utility in my fantasy game, which one would you choose? IOW, which one has a greater chance of getting PT vs. the Lakers? I also have Dejuan Wagner, but I'm not sure he brings a lot other than scoring, and I'm pretty good there already with Baron, Hinrich, Gilbert, and Nash as starters. I'm going Nellieball in fantasy, hah!</div>

I would hold off actually. Nelson may not even finalize his 8 or 9 man roster until he sees what he has in real season.

I'm benching Ellis for now. I think he could be a Barbosa type fantasy player except more blocked shots and poorer free throw %. Also, Ike may face erratic playing time since small ball doesn't cater to him. I'm actually looking at Ellis because if Baron Davis gets hurt (which is almost a sure thing), Ellis would get bumped up in playing time and possibly earn starting position over pure shooting guards like Dwagner and Roberson. I think Ellis has more playmaking skills and creativity than both of them and he plays defense. The downside is that Ellis is still a rookie so he may sit down a lot and where there's assists, turnovers are sure to follow because of some miscues.

I dont' think Mcleod will be a threat at all to Ellis playing time, but maybe Roberson or Wagner will kill his reserve minutes for shooting guard.

15. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

Golden State will make playoffs this year.

16. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class="quote_poster">hustler Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Golden State will make playoffs this year.</div>

Yes they will. [​IMG]

I can't wait for the game. It was scary to see how good the Lakers did last night without Kobe. With Kobe I wonder how they will play. I think the Warriors will win cause I just can't see the Lakers as 2-0. Plus the Warriors really inpressed me during the preseason so we will just have to wait and see how the game goes.

GO WARRIORS!

17. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Wagner is listed as inactive for tonight's game. The key for the Warriors tonight is going to be how well they rebound and beating the Lakers bench produciton.

I think the Lakers starting 5 is good enough to hang with the Warriors. We have a better frontcourt, you guys have a better backcourt. My concern is when the Lakers second unit comes in, because the Warriors bench is more talented and has a lot of speed. The Suns duo of Barbosa and Banks gave the Lakers a lot of trouble last night, because we don't have any speed guards to defend these two.

The Warriors also have a lot of different looks they can throw at the Lakers, and Nellie is the type of coach who will try unorthodox rotations to get an edge. I can see him using a 3 guard lineup tonight of Baron, Monta, JRich, to force the Lakers into a running game. However, the Warriors have to limit the Lakers to one and done, or the Lakers will take advantage of their size like they did against Phoenix.

Last season the Lakers were lousy in game two of a back to back game.

18. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wagner is listed as inactive for tonight's game. The key for the Warriors tonight is going to be how well they rebound and beating the Lakers bench produciton.

I think the Lakers starting 5 is good enough to hang with the Warriors. We have a better frontcourt, you guys have a better backcourt. My concern is when the Lakers second unit comes in, because the Warriors bench is more talented and has a lot of speed. The Suns duo of Barbosa and Banks gave the Lakers a lot of trouble last night, because we don't have any speed guards to defend these two.

The Warriors also have a lot of different looks they can throw at the Lakers, and Nellie is the type of coach who will try unorthodox rotations to get an edge. I can see him using a 3 guard lineup tonight of Baron, Monta, JRich, to force the Lakers into a running game. However, the Warriors have to limit the Lakers to one and done, or the Lakers will take advantage of their size like they did against Phoenix.

Last season the Lakers were lousy in game two of a back to back game.</div>

Thanks for the info, Shape. Didn't know that. Good stuff. [​IMG]

19. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Carter Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yes they will. [​IMG]

I can't wait for the game. It was scary to see how good the Lakers did last night without Kobe. With Kobe I wonder how they will play. I think the Warriors will win cause I just can't see the Lakers as 2-0. Plus the Warriors really inpressed me during the preseason so we will just have to wait and see how the game goes.

GO WARRIORS!</div>

If we get Jrich back that will be a huge factor. Plus Baron Davis needs to play out of his mind again, but also learn when to share the ball.

20. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Bynum had 5 assists last night. That's awesome.

I think Warriors win (by 4, 110-106) because Lakers are coming off home opener win, no Kobe, no Phil. Preseason is preseason, but nice to see Warriors scoring consistently and winning.