Laf scratched for Tampa game

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Dec 29, 2022.

1. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

For the immortal Sammy blais! FIRE GALLANT NOW!

2. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Well that's just fucked.

3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

He’s definitely going to get an offer sheet from Montreal. I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded him. And we can watch him score 90+ points every year for a fucking decade.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  4. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Oh man, the way we have fucked with him is unbelievable. What a waste of a #1 pick that was.
    Sure hope he gets traded and get a better shot at a career as a top player.

5. kreidertime

Sadly we still have an incredible amount of dumb fucks in our Fanbase that don’t understand what they’re doing wrong developing these two players.

6. NYR31

It’s a shame. The ONE guy you bench after the team has a poor game is Lafreniere. No one else is held accountable.

7. Malcom

Malcom New Member

So do you guys think both Alexis and Kappo still have a big upside that has been held back by this coach and the previous coach? I don't get to watch many games with my night job but I would hate to think neither of these guys is going to turn into an elite player considering where we drafted both of them.

8. kreidertime

They have not developed these kids properly from the first day they drafted them. When you develop and play the 1st and 2nd overall picks in the draft like they were role players, they play like role players. Not rocket science.

9. kreidertime

I was talking to somebody who works at the garden a couple of nights ago. There are a lot of rumblings many people are not happy with Gallant.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  10. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Iam not Gallant guy but it falls also on the organization as a whole. They never commit to do a proper rebuild. It’s NYC. They care more about how many celebrities attend the games than winning Stanley cups.

11. NYR31

Meanwhile, Hughes got 22 minutes of ice time last night and scored his 21st goal of the season.

What a joke this organization is at developing forwards.

12. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Serious question for debate - would you rather be the Devs/a Devil fan? They have been terrible for many many years. Sure they can give Hughes, and all their other kids, boatloads of minutes because no top vets will go there to take playing time. They also suck every season, including this one, after their hot start.

Or would you rather be the Rangers/a Ranger fan. Sometimes it is a blessing and a curse, but top FA's want to play in NYC/MSG. The Rangers will always get stars, and that makes it more difficult to play kids major minutes in big situations as you have to prioritize winning as well.

Made an ECF run last season, made many long runs over the past 10 years, meanwhile the Devs have been a joke - as have a lot of the other teams who "are good at developing their high draft pick forwards".

Curious which team you rather be a fan of??

13. NYR Fan

Overall I don't like how Drury has finished off this roster, especially this past summer. To me Chytil is not a C, he is a W, and he certainly isn't a 3rd line C. You want some talent with some grit and snarl making up your 3rd line to balance it out. The Rangers have another East-West, over pass, finesse line as their 3rd line, and that is not a good team makeup and balance. It is why the Rangers identity is finesse, skill, and pretty plays. Drury needs to see that and understand team makeup, and make some moves.

Deal Chytil for a better fit for the 3rd line. We don't need 3 finesse scoring lines, you need balance of talents and skillsets, and we are missing it on our 3rd line, which is basically a little lesser version of skilled lines 1 and 2.

Go add a few players that shoot first, second, and third. Why do you think a whatever player like Vatrano stood out and fit in here so well - unlike most of our finesse forwards always looking to be pretty, Vatrano shot the puck pretty much every chance he had. He understood his role. Understood sometimes getting pucks on net is the smart play no matter what. It doesn't always need to be pretty. Where are more players like that added? A lesser talent like Vatrano was huge because he added what we didn't have. Drury?

Motte was great here, he was a perfect 4th line guy and also stood out. He waited long to sign for less, I think because he wanted to give Drury a chance to bring him back, but nope he does not. Motte was a perfect fit on the 4th line, and Drury didn't get that.

Where is the 3rd pair LD we have needed for a few years now? You stabilize that spot and our D looks really good. Still waiting for that glaring hole to be filled.

I just think we are not a well put together balanced team. That to me is our biggest issue this year. Drury needs to do work this summer to change it.

14. Greyvtrayn

The Devils have won 3 Stanley Cups since the Rangers last won a Cup.

15. NYR Fan

I am not talking about 20 years ago - their last cup was 2003. We are talking about young kids, playing them, growing them. Since the Devs have fallen off a cliff and into the abyss as an organization, would you rather be a fan of theirs "growing" young forwards and being terrible each season, or of the Rangers having to balance moving up in the lottery twice and growing kids, while also having stars and winning a lot of playoff rounds the past 10 years.

I am not writing that in a snarky way, truly asking which is preferred. And you can insert a lot of teams into the place of the Devils over the past 10 seasons or so and the same question can be asked. A lot of these bad teams are rebuilding year after year after year after year. It is a legit question. Tough to answer.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  16. Greyvtrayn

I want the Rangers to win Stanley Cups. So I guess that makes me a fan of the Rangers. If and how they do it is beyond all of our control. It doesn't fucking matter what any of us think.

17. NYR Fan

What is your deal man. The discussion in here is how we cannot grow young forwards. How the Devils, and others, do it right putting their kids on the PP and giving them important roles with big minutes. With that comes a price. Look at that and is that really what you want? Many of those teams are non-stop rebuilding for years, and they also don't have to balance like the Rangers do given stars want to play in NYC.

I'd argue given the balancing, the fact we were never bottom 3 to get Lafreniere and Kakko, and the fact that we made the ECF last season, and were a somewhat favorite this season, we are doing pretty well striking the balance. Unless we want to say F it all, chop the vets, play the kids at all costs, not sure what else we'd want. Then high % chance we are bad for many years, like just about all the teams that get pointed to for playing/growing their young kids more.

18. PorterPanzer

PorterPanzer Active Member

Laf's absence from the lineup did nothing to hurt the offense against Tampa, they actually looked better just couldn't finish again. Also seems like Kakko has run past Laf development wise - he's noticeable every game. Even Kravstov with a fraction of Laf's NHL experience looks to be the better player right now. All this can change if Laf decides to start giving 100% every shift but he's not scoring 50, let alone 90 points for any team with his half assed effort.

19. NYR31

Here's the thing, if we were the Lightning of the past few years, or the Blackhawks of the early 2010s you could excuse the lack of developing young forwards because you're winning or legit SC contenders every year for a 5+ year window. But we are not. We are a mediocre team more often than not. We last made the SCF's in 2014, and the season after we lost in the ECF's, the season after we lost in the 1st round, the season after in the 2nd round and the following 2 seasons we did not even make the playoffs. We went 7 years between ECF appearances. We are not some perennial contender. We are a perennial half-assed team that pulls a mini cinderella season every few years.

We are in the early stages of our window to win and with Panarin, Zib, Kreider and Trocheck all 29+ with long, expensive contracts on player-friendly terms, it won't be open for more than another 2-3 years and we are half-assing this opportunity because we refused to develop Lafreniere and Kakko who by now should be no less than everyday 2nd line players which would give us ridiculous depth up front. Instead, we are lumbering along, middle-ish of the pack. Disappointing.

20. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

I stopped reading when you mentioned dealing Chytil. what a joke. Trading one of the most improved young forwards who is still on a cheap deal so we can make the third line tougher to play against. It’s very short sighted.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023