LaFrentz Set to Return

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">LaFrentz's debut comes during a key week for Portland. The Blazers will play four games in five nights, including three days in a row, while trying to finalize their roster and set a rotation for the regular season opener at Seattle on Nov. 1.

LaFrentz joins the Blazers at a time they need front-line help. Darius Miles and LaMarcus Aldridge still have not practiced and are not expected to play this week. Martell Webster, who missed last week's two-game trip with a strained back, still is suffering spasms and sat out practice Sunday. He is doubtful for tonight.

"We need bodies," coach Nate McMillan said. "We were down to 11 players, and Raef, I think, can be a big part of this team. He can help us."

LaFrentz, who is beginning his ninth NBA season, came to Portland in the draft-day trade that sent Theo Ratliff and Sebastian Telfair to Boson. At one time, the 6-foot-11, 245-pound LaFrentz might have been categorized as a prototype power forward in the mold of Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki.

"I was when I moved better," LaFrentz said. "But now I'm just going to knock down shots. Hopefully my legs cooperate with that thought."

Although knee injuries have made him less mobile than he was when he was drafted out of Kansas by Denver with the No. 3 pick in 1998, LaFrentz remains a dangerous outside shooter with three-point range. </div>

Source