Lakers @ Warriors

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<font size="5">Preview by Laker_Fever</font>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Time: 7:30 p.m.
    TV: KCAL
    ----------------------
    Probable Starters:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Gary Payton/Speedy Claxton
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Kobe Bryant/Jason Richardson
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Rick Fox/Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Slava Medvedenko/Brian Cardinal
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Shaquille O'Neal/Erick Dampier
    ----------------------------------
    Injury Report:

Lakers-
    Karl Malone-Out
    Brian Cook-Out

Warriors-
    Troy Murphy-Out
    Evan Eschmeyer-Out

-------------------
    Keys to the game:

[​IMG]- In order for the Lakers to win tonight, they have to continue their gameplan from last night by getting the ball to no one other than Shaq. Let him dominate inside, allow him to create an offensive rhythm. If Shaq goes cold early, the Lakers could be in trouble. Also, get Kobe the ball. It'll be important for him along with Shaq to receive as many touches, and shoot a high number of shots. He's coming off a 31 point effort, and by the way he was shooting last night, he could explode at any moment. Finally, the Lakers will have to play aggressive defense. Every time these two teams go against each other, the Lakers always allow the Warriors to have their way on the offensive side of the ball. They have to prevent this and take them out of their game early. It could take out their confidence if they find themselves trailing early in the ballgame.

[​IMG]- The Warriors have won six of nine overall, and six of seven at the Arena, so in order for them to continue this streak is they'll have to look for Brian Cardinal early. Brian in his last game is coming off a career night of 32 points on 10/14 shooting, and since Slava is struggling at the power forward position, Cardinal shouldn't have any trouble with him, and should easily take adavantage. Also, Speedy Claxton is coming off career highs in assists and steals with 13 and 7, so Gary Payton will definitely have his hands full once Claxton has the ball in his hand, penetrates, and dishes to his teammates whether in the half-court game or in transition. Erick Dampier recorded his 28th double double his last game against Phoenix, and even though it'll be a tough task for him to do battle against Shaq, he definitely won't back down from any challenge. He's really proven himself this year.

Laker Fever's prediction- I think this game comes down to the success of Shaq and Kobe. If Shaq can get his game going and dominate the paint areas, and Kobe equaling or doing better than his 31 point effort last night, the Lakers should be right there for the W. Everytime these two teams meet up at the Arena, the Warriors always make the game very interesting. Lakers by 4.

2. Rudeezy

The Warriors have already proved that they are capable of beating the Lakers at the Arena. They have historically played the Lakers well at the Arena and I expect the same tonight. Dampier has won the battle against Shaq in the two previous meeting and that will be the key for the Warriors success tonight. Dampier is probably the only center in the league who guards Shaq one on one and that is key.

3. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">The Warriors have already proved that they are capable of beating the Lakers at the Arena. They have historically played the Lakers well at the Arena and I expect the same tonight. Dampier has won the battle against Shaq in the two previous meeting and that will be the key for the Warriors success tonight. Dampier is probably the only center in the league who guards Shaq one on one and that is key.</div>

Are you kidding me? No way in the hell the Warriors beat LA tonight......

Nah I'm playin, LOL. I think the Warriors will keep it close for most part of the game, but Warriors lack execution at times, and I think that will be huge deciding factor tonight against the Lakers. Kobe always has good games vs Golden State, and that shouldn't change tonight, I take my Lakers by a comfortable 12 points. :mrgreen:

BTW, I am going to the game. :biggrin2:

4. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post">

BTW, I am going to the game. :biggrin2:</div>I hate it when those damn Laker fans go to these games. I'm going to end up kicking your ass if I ever see you at one. haha...jk [​IMG]

This game could really go either way. I guess it depends on which team shows up on both sides. The Lakers just seem not to care during the regular season.

5. Emo

Emo Active Member

Thanks Rudeezy for allowing my preview to be on both forums...

Throughout the years, the Warriors have always played the Lakers tough in Oakland. But I think it comes down to Shaq and Kobe. If Shaq can make shots at a consistent pace, and dominate Dampier inside, the Lakers have a chance. And if Kobe can improve on his 31 pt effort last night and explode for 35-40, the Lakers should be alright too. Should be an exciting one tonight. BTW, Purple N Gold: After you come back from the Arena, give me an estimate to how many Laker fans packed the house. [​IMG]

6. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I don't know the specs for how well GS has played against the Lakers but im going to take the Lakers by 8.

7. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

It pisses me off when there are more away fans than Warriors fans (this always happens for Kings and Lakers games, btw).

This is probably the biggest test of the season for the Warriors- they have to show that they are ready to be competitive for the rest of the season, and who else do they start with than the team that many feel is going to be the toughest in the 2nd half of the season, the Lakers? I think the Lakers shouldn't take the Warriors lightly- they're going to be focused and ready to prove to everyone that they're serious. All Warriors fans will be on the edge of their seats this game, because what they do tonight is going to show what they do the rest of the season. Kobe and Shaq might be tired early because it's their 3rd game in 4 nights (even though the ASG shouldn't really count...), so the Warriors have to capitalize on that and establish Dampier down low when Shaq's out. Look for Foyle to remind people what the 2-headed monster was... watch out for him on the defensive end. In the end, it's going to come down to good defense on Shaq and Kobe, and we have the players to do that. I think that Shaq and Kobe aren't going to have enough left in the tank.

Warriors by 4

8. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Warriors will win this one I think. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

9. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

I think the Lakers will end up winning by 14. The Lakers are going to get off to quick start and the Warriors will probably have to come get themselves out of it. I think this is going to happen because this is the Warriors first game coming off the All Star break, so I expect them to be alittle sloppy.

I finally get to watch a Warriors game tonight, so I'm hoping it'll be close at least. I haven't been able to watch too many games this season because I'm attending a college near L.A. so all they show are Laker games.

10. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

I'm going to go with the upset and say Golden State by 6.

11. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Gohn:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I finally get to watch a Warriors game tonight, so I'm hoping it'll be close at least. I haven't been able to watch too many games this season because I'm attending a college near L.A. so all they show are Laker games.</div>I wish I could watch it but I have a game tonight.[​IMG]

What college do you go to?

12. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

The Warriors have played the Lakers tough the past couple of years, especially at home. Damp has played Shaq fairly even the past couple of times. However, the key has been holding Kobe down. The Lakers seem awfully thin right now, it took a big game from Kobe to win last night. The Warriors bench is more productive right now than the Lakers bench. (Cardinal is a big factor.) If Speedy can win his battle with Payton and Dunleavy can outscore Fox, the Warriors will be okay. Warriors by 4.

13. Custodianrules2

There's a big reason why Fox is still a starter over George and you might see why tonight.

14. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I wish I could watch it but I have a game tonight.[​IMG]

What college do you go to?</div>

I go to University of Redlands, its about an hour away from L.A.

15. Custodianrules2

Was I hallucinating? Jrich did a behind-the-back dribble to his left hand and then drove all the way to the left wing passing Kobe and then dished off to Cardinal who went down the middle for a tomahawk jam? Woah.

16. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, it looks ok so far. I am going to bed now and the score was 49-48, warriors. Speedy and Jrich had 14 pts. Cardinal and Robinson had 7 and 9 points respectively. Shaq is dominating Damp according to the stat line 15pts to 0. Not looking good for Damp this time around. Kobe only had 7 points. If he heats up it looks like the game will get out of control.

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, it looks ok so far. I am going to bed now and the score was 49-48, warriors. Speedy and Jrich had 14 pts. Cardinal and Robinson had 7 and 9 points respectively. Shaq is dominating Damp according to the stat line 15pts to 0. Not looking good for Damp this time around. Kobe only had 7 points. If he heats up it looks like the game will get out of control.</div>

Damp only got the ball like twice and he had a monstrous tomahawk dunk going down the lane with the feed from Jrich. Stat line isn't correct.

My bad you said the score was 49-48 so it must have missed the last couple plays.

18. Warriorfansnc93

So the Warriors are down 1 at half time. How does the game look to you guys?

19. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Damp only got the ball like twice and he had a monstrous tomahawk dunk going down the lane with the feed from Jrich. Stat line isn't correct.

My bad you said the score was 49-48 so it must have missed the last couple plays.</div>

Thats cool. My point was, it sounds like Damp is getting dominated. Maybe Shaq was mad that Damp owned him last game and wanted to put Damp back in his place. Damp needs to get the ball down low and draw some fouls on him to get him out of the game. Look at Speedy. How is he getting his points? Taking it to the hole? What about Jrich? Any good dunks? How is he scoring on Kobe like that?

20. Warriorfansnc93

Man, looks like Cliffy is heating up, but then again, so is Kobe. Is Shaq hurt or something. I have not seen any of his stats go up. I am watching the stats on line, dont have NBA ticket, and dont live in the bay area anymore so I can not listen on the radio. Wife has sirius radio in her car. I might have to go sit out in the cold to listen to the game. I should be in bed right now. [​IMG]