Lampe At Center?!

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by knicks235, Oct 2, 2003.

1. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

2. beasly3

beasly3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting knicks235:</div><div class="quote_post">October 2, 2003 -- Forget the small-forward talk. Don Chaney sees rookie Maciej Lampe as the Knicks' center of the future.
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/3514.htm</div>

Center? I cold of sworn he was a sf? Oh well, I think he was the steal of the draft.

3. knicks235

he is a sf but were trying to convert him to center which i personally dont like i would want lampe to come off the bench and get his experience, 5 ppg is fine with me then in 04-05 start him at sf and have van horn coming off the bench(how sweet is that)so we will have a monster team and a verry competitive one for years to come

4. beasly3

Also isnt he like 7 foot but hes a skinny as a stick? Unless he gains some weight I dont want to see him at center.

5. knicks235

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting beasly3:</div><div class="quote_post">Also isnt he like 7 foot but hes a skinny as a stick? Unless he gains some weight I dont want to see him at center.</div>

the article says he's 6'11 with shoes on, meaning he's about 6'9-6'10. he is also 275 pounds so he dosent need to gain weight but is is only 18 so he will grow.

6. Waneko

Waneko JBB JustBBall Member

He's still a few years away at any position. Better be patient. What makes people think he's the steal of the draft is the potential to be like Dirk, meaning he will eventually open up his offensive game, and won't be best suited to play center.

7. beasly3

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting knicks235:</div><div class="quote_post">the article says he's 6'11 with shoes on, meaning he's about 6'9-6'10. he is also 275 pounds so he dosent need to gain weight but is is only 18 so he will grow.</div>

Wow, I always throught he was alott skinnier. Nbadraft.net has him listed as 7 foot 240 pounds.

8. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Hes 6'11 without shoes and still growing. Doctors say he could be 7'1. He is also 275. Thats huge he will eventually dominate the Centers in the east.

9. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

I'd like to see him play SF and be another Dirk, but C, that'll take a while to adapt.

10. beasly3

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">Hes 6'11 without shoes and still growing. Doctors say he could be 7'1. He is also 275. Thats huge he will eventually dominate the Centers in the east.</div>

Where do you find your info? Espn.com, Nba.com, and nbadraft.net all list him at 240. I dont think he looks 275 either.

[​IMG]

11. knicks235

its all in the article i posted

12. beasly3

Wierd! You can never tell if someone is lying or not. 30 pounds is alott of weight when you are talking about basketball.

13. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting beasly3:</div><div class="quote_post">Center? I cold of sworn he was a sf? Oh well, I think he was the steal of the draft.</div>

He was not a steal, because of his overseas contract situation, nobody at that time wanted to waste their first round guaranteed contract on him. The Knicks were there with the first pick in round 2, so it was an obvious selection.

14. rady

rady JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting beasly3:</div><div class="quote_post">Where do you find your info? Espn.com, Nba.com, and nbadraft.net all list him at 240. I dont think he looks 275 either.
    </div>
    http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/training_ca...tes_030930.html
    Do you think you'll get a chance to start this season?
    "It depends on how good I?m going to play if I?m going to be an alternate. I?m willing to work very hard, as hard as I can, and we?ll see, if I?m good enough I?ll play, if I?m not then I?ll be on the bench, that?s the way it works, that?s the business."

Scott [Layden] had talked at the time of the draft and he had said the possibility of your playing center. Do you see that?
    "I can see that, I?m 18, so they can develop me into whatever they need. If I gain weight, I?ll become a strong center, if they want me to lose weight, I can play the 3 or 4. It just depends what the coach wants."

What do you weigh right now?
    "I weigh 285 pounds."

You put on more?
    "I was at 290 last year, so I kind of lost. But I have to lose a little bit of weight because I gained too much. I eat too much at once."

15. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

I hate to say this, but I think this guy is going to be a flop. He is gaining too much and will suffer because of it.

16. knicks235

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">I hate to say this, but I think this guy is going to be a flop. He is gaining too much and will suffer because of it.</div>

kids 18 and he's still growing, how can he possibly suffer by gaining weight

17. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

If he is a SF he can suffer by gaining wait

18. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

The New York Knicks know what to do with Lampe better than we do. They have been scouting him carefully. I am sure of that. He fits best at Center on paper too. The Knicks have been optimistic of McDyess' return and once you add Sweetney into that picture there is no place for Lampe to play. The same thing can be said about the Small Forward position where he would be competing with Weatherspoon and VanHorn for playing time. Kurt Thomas also needs an adequate backup. So all in all it's a good move.

19. NoJoke

NoJoke JBB JustBBall Member

yea i agree the thing is if he will get playing time ore not.

20. JWilltheFreak

JWilltheFreak JBB JustBBall Member

He will show what he can do in the Pre Season becuase he will get a lot of min.