OT Lawmakers consider measure that would allow lawsuits over frivolous calls for police

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by dviss1, Apr 5, 2019.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

BBQ Bettys and Permit Pattys beware!

We need this law for the Jussie Smollets of the world!

Lawmakers consider measure that would allow lawsuits over frivolous calls to police.

SALEM – A person who has the police called on them for the “crime” of being a person of color could sue the person who summoned law enforcement, under a bill introduced by three African American state lawmakers.

One of the sponsors, Rep. Janelle Bynum, D-Clackamas, experienced such a call when she was canvassing for votes in her suburban Portland district last summer. The summoning of police on a lawmaker “campaigning while black” drew national attention.”
    [​IMG]
    Black Oregon legislator says campaigning in own district triggered 911 call

“I remember thinking I’ve done everything that I could possibly do to not have this happen,” she said. “I was very intentional about the things that I wore, intentional about my behaviors, always going from the house and taking my notes on the street in clear view, doing it the same way every time.”

“Why those actions would stir someone’s curiosity was beyond me,” said Bynum.

The Clackamas County deputy who responded immediately realized nothing was wrong, and at Bynum’s request, arranged for the state representative to speak with her constituent who had regarded her behavior as suspicious.

“I wonder, though, if things would have been different if I had had my 15-year-old son with me, who’s taller than me, darker than me,” she said. “I don’t know what would have happened.”

Bynum isn’t the only African American politician who’s been the subject of a 911 call while asking for votes. A state senator named Jesse Hamilton experienced the same thing while talking to potential voters on a New York City sidewalk last August.

Several other highly publicized incidents have involved non-politicians. A security guard called the police on an African American man from Kent, Washington who was making a phone call in the lobby of the Double Tree hotel in Portland in December.

And a white student at Yale called police on her African American classmate when the young woman was taking a nap in their dorm’s common area.

That incident in particular caught the attention of Erious Johnson, an Oregon civil rights attorney. He and his wife, Nkenge Harmon Johnson, who is the president of the Urban League of Portland, jointly wrote an opinion piece in the Oregonian calling for the creation of a new crime called “malicious summoning.”

Their idea was that someone who calls the police as a way to harass someone who is minding their own business could then be charged themselves with violating the victim’s constitutional rights.

“When they have police called on them for no reason, people are hurt,” Johnson testified Wednesday to lawmakers on the House Judiciary Committee. “It’s an element of segregation.”

The opinion piece served as part of the inspiration for the bill currently before lawmakers.

House Bill 3216 does not include the possibility of criminal charges. Instead, it creates a path for people to file a suit in small claims court for damages of up to $250.

The House Judiciary Committee could vote as soon as Thursday to advance the measure. An earlier version of the bill would have allowed people to be charged with a Class D violation for “unlawfully summoning” police, but that provision will likely be dropped if the bill moves forward, according to Bynum. Filing a false police report is already a Class A misdemeanor in Oregon.

Bynum said the goal of the legislation is not to harshly punish those who call the police for frivolous reasons. Instead, it’s about providing people who have been hurt by such calls an opportunity for restoration.

“There’s a certain amount of your dignity that is stripped when you are stopped by the police for doing nothing but existing,” she said.

Chris Craig, Lanny and Propagandist like this.
  2. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Good idea. Hope it passes and I'll move back to Oregon and start my own YouTube channel where I call the cops on black people for no reason. Videotape them rightfully freaking the fuck out and I'll be rich!

Pfft, 250 bucks will be paid back in ad revenue in minutes.

Oh damn, just remembered youtube would just ban me.

3. bodyman5000 and 1

Quality reporting by chris lehman..........

A securityguard called the police on an African American man from Kent, Washington who was making a phone call in the lobby of the Double Tree hotel in Portland in December......

Yeah, leaves out a lot of information here.

4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Stop.

He didn't do shit but be a black PAYING CUSTOMER at Double Tree. He was approached because of the "concern for the safety of the other guests".

The info he should've put in the story was how old Earl got fired...

Chris Craig likes this.
  5. bodyman5000 and 1

Earl didn't just see him sitting there and decide to call the cops because he was on his phone. Be honest

6. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Correct, he wasn't just on his phone. He was on his phone being black.

barfo

Chris Craig and Lanny like this.
  7. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    My phone is black and this shit never happens to me.

Well, Dems have come full circle.

Finally running out of things/actions/people to regulate, outlaw, or force chemical injections into, they are now making it a crime to report a crime.

8. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Being black isn't a crime.

barfo

Chris Craig and Lanny like this.
  9. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Well its interesting.

10. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    There are already laws on the book protecting us from that sort of thing.

11. Lanny

Excuse me, then why was he arrested when almost no White person using the phone would have been arrested?

Chris Craig likes this.
  12. Lanny

And how did the guard know he was from Kent? Is it criminal to be from Kent? Boeing has a major facility across the street from Kent. I use to work there.

13. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I lived in Kent just down the road for years. The Pink Palace was torn down and became an amazon Fulfillment site.

14. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Yeah Ive done some work with and for them too! My boss gets to go to a lot of their events up there because our company has helped them here and there. Im kind of terrible at networking and pass on most of those events due to, apathy...

15. bodyman5000 and 1

Why you donkeys don't understand anything I'll never know. Earl fucked with him for being on his phone while black (maybe, I'm sure this wasn't the first black guy talking on the phone he ever encountered) why Earl chose this one guy you'll have to ask Earl.

After that it was a tresspassing case and Earl broke no law and this stupid new law would get thrown out when challenged

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

No he didn't. Earl called the cops because he was black. Be honest.

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What a stupid fucking argument. Your phone is black...wtf really? It has never happened to you because you're white. If Earl had seen you sitting there on your phone, he would never have approached you.

No, making it a crime to report non crimes because of prejudice and ignorance.

18. Chris Craig

He wasn't tresspassing. He was a paying guest.

19. bodyman5000 and 1

Quit fucking lying. Earl 90 percent chance fucked with him because he was black. Told him to leave and he didn't. That's why he called the cops.

When the Mexican guy at Metro PCS told me to leave or he'd call the cops I left.

Was he racist for that?

20. bodyman5000 and 1

Jesus H Mgillicutty.

Once Earl told him he was NO LONGER a guest for whatever reason he was trespassed from the building.

Walk in the mall and scream something offensive and see what happens. Buy a pretzel first and tell the cops you're a paying guest.

WHY old Earl got so pushy with this guy is between Earl and the guy.

I'm fully prepared to admit Earl probably wouldn't have even bothered me like he did the black guy and that is the problem.

If Earl did bother me and I told him to fuck off I'd get the cops called on me too.