Lillard better without LMA, Lillard adjusted, or just weaker competition?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

This is NOT to say that we should trade LMA, or some other nonsense... if you want to go down that road, that's fine. But I just wondered if it was any of 3 possibilities as to why Lillard has gone all "beast" mode (maybe not efficient, but it's still damn good)

I don't think he's better because LMA is out, but he does seem more free. I do think the competition has been weaker... but he's also taken it to the rack a lot since the ASG.

What say you on this?

2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Ewing Theory

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I think his increased effectiveness has more to do with his ability to actually finish at the rim at the moment more then anything else. He came back with a swagger from the AS break and it shows, I dont think LA being off the court really has much to do with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Picking up the slack. More shot attempts = more scoring.

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

He's obviously insulted that people want to trade him for Conley.

6. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

Wright might have something to do with Lillard being able to get to the rack more, as he pulls his PF counterpart out near the 3-point line, leaving more room in the paint for Dame to work.

Strenuus likes this.
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

He is being more aggressive instead of waiting for the 4th. He knows we need him to score the whole game with LA out.

Sure Wright spreads the floor when he starts at PF, but LA spreads the floor pretty well too. Lillard was in a slump before this stretch, but he also played his basket ball with LA too.

And I agree he is finally finishing better. And he will only get better at it too.

8. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

People? More like person.

9. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

NBA Comparison: Jay Williams/Jerryd Bayless

Strengths: One of the most prolific scorers in the nation ... Possesses ideal size for an NBA point guard, standing about 6'2" with a nice wingspan ... Uses his strong frame well to absorb contact around the rim ... Extremely confident shooter that is dangerous at mid-range or well behind the arc ... Won't hesitate to square up from 25-28 away from the hoop ... Needs very little space or time to get off a quality shot ... Highly efficient for a volume shooter (43.2% on 7.1 three-point attempts per game) ... Is able to create his own shot or spot-up off the ball effectively ... Handles the ball fairly well ... Uses quick, short dribbles and changes of direction/speed to keep defenders off balance ... Is able to get in the paint at will, and is a crafty finisher around the rim ... Aggressive in transition, always looking to make something happen ... Lives at the stripe, attempting an average of 8.0 free-throws a game (88.4%) ... Quality passer, that has the ability to create for his teammates by driving into the lane and kicking the ball out ... Can be an effective on-ball defender ... Good hands ... Likes to pick his opponent's pocket ... Strong leader with a competitive drive ...

Weaknesses:
    Not a true point guard ... Looks for his own shot first, which is expected for a player with his talent in the Big Sky, but will leave scouts questioning whether he'll be able to make his teammates better at the next level ... Has improved his decision-making over the last few years, but can get carried away and take questionable shots when he gets hot ... Has been dominating all season, but hasn't faced very strong competition ...Missed an entire season before his junior year, so some thought has to be made about injury concerns ...

Overall: Lillard has NBA talent, but like most mid-major prospects, he hasn't proved that he can consistently produce against elite-level talent ... A team looking for a scoring point guard could be willing to roll the dice on him, perhaps as soon as the mid/late-lottery ... Tyler Ingle 3/8/12

Strengths: Late blooming 6’2 PG with ideal size and strength for the position … A standout scorer with the ability to knock down shots as well as strong penetration ability … Has a pretty pull up off the dribble and has range well past NBA 3 point ... Also has an effective catch and shoot … Excels at three point shooting: (39%) on a high volume of shots ... Quality ball handler ... Polished one on one skills … Nice quickness: Shows a strong ability to get by his man to the rim … Has the ability to use both hands on the drive … Also shows a developing floater in the lane when his drives get cut off by bigmen in the paint … Gets to the line well where he’s a quality 3 point shooter (85%) … Shows a the ability to run a team and get his shots within the flow of the offense … Quality pick and roll player … Wants the ball at the end of games, and steps up to the challenge when the game is on the line …

Weaknesses: Very good from outside and driving to the rim, but needs to improve his midrange game … Solid athlete, though not extraordinary … Assist to turnover ratio is good but could stand to improve 1.5-to-1 … Gets a little careless with the ball at times … Playing at Weber State, he will have to go above and beyond to get the recognition and respect he deserves … It is also questionable how much development/improvement he can make playing against inferior competition on a regular basis … Struggled down the stretch of the season in big games with his decision making. Will need to show that he can be a steadying influence and has the ability to elevate his game in big games situations … Makes better decisions in the half court than full. Will need to become better on the break …
    Notes: Has really developed into a solid prospect in 2 years at Weber State ... Has first round talent if he can fill the remaining holes to his game …
    Aran Smith 7/2/10

http://nbadraft.net/players/damian-lillard

10. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Yes. Lillard is better without LA. LA is also better with Lillard. However, the Blazers are worse off in both cases. Since I like the Blazers more than either Lillard or Aldridge individually, I want them to continue to play together. Get healthy, LA!

11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Just stepping up when his team needed him. That's all.

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I should add that Lillard's top 4 scoring games were all with Aldridge on the court.

13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    He made the All Star team with Aldridge on the court.

14. Strenuus

I wasn't factualizing him being better on or off the court, just merely throwing it out there for discussion.

15. Strenuus

Hmm, I didn't think about it that way. Good take.

For the record, to all, I will reiterate that I am not saying Trade LA or LA is bad for the team, I just noticed this uptick and wondered that of the possiblities, what it could be. (I was going to put AS game stuff, but then the thread title is ridiculously long).

16. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

So you're saying Aldridge needs to take more 3s?

17. LameR

LameR Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Soccer Coach
    He's being forced to score because he can't rely on LaMarcus. It's a good thing, and hopefully something that'll carry over when LaMarcus comes back. Love Wes, Batum and crew, but Lillard is the guy who if he'll step up in times outside of the 4th and when the team is in a hole, we'll be much better off. Also, weak competition, not complaining though!

18. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I personally think he and the rest of the team have redirected their focus after the break and it's back to winning. He is doing what he has to do to help this team be successful. With or without LA.

19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think the All-Star game jump started him, like some of us hoped it would.

I would also like to point out that Dame attempted 13 FTA tonight. That HAS to be a career high. He's starting to get the star treatment and I think he's starting to think like a star. He's averaging 30.5 points in the 4 games since the All-Star break. Some of that might be because he's getting more shots, some of it might be because LA is out, but I think a lot of it is because he's getting his swagger back.

20. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

That would make sense if LA did not take 80% of his shots 2 feet in front of the three point line.