Lillard Time

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Sinobas, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

How does Damian Lillard really perform in the clutch? Some on this board say he's lost us a lot of games through "hero ball" and others defend him and think those accusations are just negativity. Well, let's see what the stats say:

Here are Damian Lillard's 3pt shooting percentages within the last 5 min, 3 min, 1 min, 30 sec, 10 sec respectively, when the game is close 5 points or less (19%,14%,10%,0%,0%.) His overall FG% in those situations is in the mid 30s.

In the last minute of close games, he's averaging a staggering 9 turnovers per 36 minutes.

So I think it's clear that the stats support the crowd that is critical of how he plays in the clutch.

Contrast this to CJ. These are his 3pt shooting percentages in those clutch situations
    (59%, 54%,71%67%,50%)

Damian Lillard is costing the team games with his crappy "Lillard Time" bullshit.

Reep, Stevenson and Darkwebs like this.
  2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Sometimes the watch is broken.

That being said, if it's within the offense, that's who should be taking the last or big shot.

Hero ball needs to stop though

3. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I think "within the offense" is the huge key, we go way too often to ISO ball later in the 4th qtr as opposed to team ball, I think Stotts need to stress this and instruct NOT to do the ISO ball so much

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yep

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  5. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

We have one of the best passing center in the league right now and we don't play through him. This not only the coach fault it also our PG fault due to he is the extension of the coach on floor. If players plays in the flow of the offense they get better look at the basket. But the flow stop in the 4th with due to 2 guards start going to the ISO ball then the flow stop. This why we got losing record. Lot of people don't like Spurs but they win due there offense always have flow in the there game. They just play the right way. When Stotts get fire and he will it just matter when the next coach they need go after is Jay Wright Villanova coach his teams always there and the reason why they play the right way.

HailBlazers and Jade Falcon like this.
  6. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Going to ignore the fact that the OP brought up per 36 when referring to late game situations.
    Good laugh though.

Yes the stats are bad for one player and good for another.
    But at the end of the day, last night Portland had 5 straight possessions(2 from CJ, 3 from lillard) late in the 4th quarter where it was hero ball.
    These 5 straight possessions lead to bad shots or turnovers, which led to run outs and easy shots for Washington.
    Only after Stotts called a timeout did Portland run offense and wadayaknow. They got a wide open corner three for Aminu, which he knocked down.
    At the end of the day if you only look at shooting %, it's going to favor CJ over Lillard for this year.
    But those stats leave out this hero ball aspect of the game that frankly... I don't find fun to watch regardless who it is.

The old aspect of the game of, if you know where the shot is coming from it's easier to get back on defense. Well frankly that isn't applying to this team.

BBert, dviss1 and Darkwebs like this.
  7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Dames assists are up with the arrival of Nurkic are they not? Things don't change overnight(well most things)
    I totally expect Dame to increase his assists and FG% with Nurk on the team. But this wont really be visible until next year I expect.

Though I agree Dame needs ot try to look to pass more, sometimes its the other players requirement to get into an open position that still provides a shot opportunity or Dame is going to shoot it.
    Yes I have seen open men he has missed, but when he is double teamed he needs the others to help more in my opinion. I really think Turner was helping Dame turn the corner on this before he went down.
    When Turner is back and the addition of Nurks ability to play on ball from the high post, I think We will See Dames assists go up as well as his percentage points. It will also allow better spacing and dame will have more open shot opportunities, rather than a low shot clock shot in the midst of a double team.

Now what I cant stand seeing(this one is for you MM) is Dame walking down and shooting a 3 with zero ball movement with alot of time left on the shot clock and it isn't a WIDE open shot.
    He does this too often. WAY too often.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think it's up to Stotts to reign this in a bit. He has given Dame and CJ a green light at all times and I think that should be checked a bit.

dviss1, Orion Bailey and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    17 points in 4th qtr and OT. He was awesome. Refs stole game from us.

10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

Something has struck me as being wrong with Dame this season.

When he started the season, he was absolutely on fire. And people were calling him an MVP candidate. Even Kerr and Pops were too.

Then he started to slow down....and slowed down a little more....and then he got injured.

Add in the fact that he hasn't been as consistent as he was, say, last year.

When I watch him dribble around screens, and even driving into the paint, something just seems....off. I can't quite place my finger on it. But I almost want to say that there's a lack of "power" or "confidence" in his playing.

Meh....maybe I'm just overthinking it. But he's not playing, in my opinion, as well as he did last year. He just seems....worn out or depressed. Even that spark in his eye during after-game interviews seems to have faded.

Does anyone else notice this?

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We lose? Fuck Dame! Fuck Dame! Fuck Dame! Fuck Dame!

We win? Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurkic!

12. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

probably just realized refs rig NBA games and theres nothing you can do to stop it. i see it with all of our star players. we need a sheed and a mike rice to choke the fuck out of a ref.

Dougnsalem and Jade Falcon like this.
  13. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Lillard time was never based on percentages. It was based on Dame going on those streaks in the 4th quarter where he would hit back to back to back threes and what not but sure another Dame bashing thread lets keep them going because there just isn't enough of these shit threads these days

14. Sinobas

I did that to illistrate how many turnovers that would be if he committed turnovers at that rate the whole game, because most people won't know how many turnovers is a lot or a little when you're talking about the amount committed in 5 minutes. Don't see what is funny about that.

15. Sinobas

Sorry, that's kind of a lame apology. He's anti-clutch.

16. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Old Chinese proverb.
    If you find yourself in hole, stop digging.

dviss1 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  17. Sinobas

I'm not in a hole. If you think I am, maybe math isn't one of your stronger subjects.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  18. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    28 points on 14 shots in 17 minutes tonight

Orion Bailey and HailBlazers like this.
  19. Sinobas

This thread is about the way he plays in crunch time though. No one doubts he's a very good scorer.

20. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Great pass to Crabbe for the open 3 to put us up 7.

Turftoejoe likes this.