Lions win!

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by Big Frame, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_lions_buccaneers-8208874

TAMPA, Fla. - The Detroit Lions have heightened expectations, and a healthy Matthew Stafford(notes) is a big reason why.

The third-year quarterback who's struggled to stay on the field early in his pro career threw for 305 yards and three touchdowns Sunday, helping the Lions beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27-20 for their fifth consecutive victory dating to the final month of the 2010 season.

Stafford completed 24 of 33 passes, including TD throws of 36 and one yards to Calvin Johnson(notes) and 11 yards to Tony Scheffler(notes). The only interception he threw glanced off the hands of intended receiver Will Heller(notes) and was returned 28 yards by Aqib Talib(notes) for the only touchdown Tampa Bay managed until Josh Freeman(notes) threw a five-yard scoring pass to Mike Williams with less than two minutes to go.

The Lions, who began last season with four consecutive losses, opened with a win for the first time since 2007. Stafford was hurt in last year's opener and went on to miss 13 of his team's remaining 15 games.

Stafford led four scoring drives of at least 70 yards against a defense that was on its heels most of the day. The Lions outgained the 147 yards to four in the opening quarter and finished with 431 yards total offense to Tampa Bay's 313.

Johnson had six receptions for 88 yards. His 36-yard TD reception came on a perfectly thrown ball on fourth-and-2, and the six-foot-five receiver reached above Talib to make an acrobatic grab on a lob throw for the one-yard TD that put Detroit up 27-13 in the third quarter.

Freeman, selected 16 spots behind No. 1 overall pick Stafford in the 2009 draft, was 28 of 43 for 245 yards. He was intercepted once and sacked twice by Detroit's improved defense.

In addition to a pregame tribute to 911, a moment of silence was observed for Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon, the first-ever player drafted by the expansion Buccaneers in 1976. The team's all-time sack leader with 78 1-2 died on Sept. 4, two days after suffering a stroke.

The Bucs also arranged a surprise reunion during the two-minute warning in the first half for family and close friends of U.S. Army Sergeant Scott Osborn, who was returning from active duty in Afghanistan.

The Lions won their last four games of 2010, including a 23-20 overtime win over Tampa Bay, with Drew Stanton(notes) and Shaun Hill(notes) playing quarterback while Stafford was sidelined with the second of two shoulder separations that kept him out of 13 games last season. Stafford had surgery on his throwing in January and had an outstanding preseason, when he was the NFL's top-rated passer.

Detroit was one of just two teams that went unbeaten in the preseason, scoring a league-high 114 points. Teams ordinarily don't put too much stock in exhibition results, but Stafford's play fueled optimism for what the Lions hope will be their first winning season in a decade.

Jahvid Best(notes) rushed for 72 yards on 21 carries for the Lions. Tampa Bay's running game was non-existent, with Freeman leading the way with 26 yards on four attempts, thanks to a big scramble on the Bucs' final possession.

Freeman has led seven game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime, but he couldn't rally his team this time.

The Bucs marched to the Lions 42 in the closing seconds before time expired on a wild play that began with Freeman completing a pass to Earnest Graham(notes). Four laterals and a fumble later, it ended for no gain.

2. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I watched this game on the free league pass today. Been watching from a far what Detroit has been putting together the last couple of years. This team will make some noise this season.

3. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

I think they will compete for a wild card spot. I dont know if they are a playoff team yet, but they should be like last years Bucs.

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Better than last years Bucs.

5. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

Matt Stafford is legit! I hope he can stay healthy. I think once they get Nick Fairley in the lineup they'll be even better.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

The Lions' have always been my second favorite team cuz I grew up rooting for them because of my dad, so its nice to see them have a potentially good/great team in the coming years.

I love Stafford. He's my favorite QB outside of Rivers. I just hope the kid can stay healthy because if he does, the Lions will be a playoff contender.