OT Love's Return to Mini

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Daweez04, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Daweez04

Daweez04 Well-Known Member

Senior Buyer
    Promo for Love's return to Minnesota. I won't spoil it for ya...

2. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

Saw that coming after Marion's name came up. Funny!

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    OK, I LOL'd.

If this is "The Game (They've ) all been waiting for", they must have some serious masochostic issues over there in MinneHaHa land. That Cavs lineup is going to give the Wolves a wedgie, take their lunch money, shove them in a locker, flush their winter coat in the toilet, pants them, and make them put their tongue AND their wet dick on a frozen flag pole.

I can't watch. (Well, maybe just a peek.)

4. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Hahahah! You know the boo birds are going to be out for his return. Minny fans are salty as hell, as this forum well knows.

5. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Didn't watch, but read somewhere else about it, they didn't include him or something. That's kind of pathetic if you ask me, and shows why he would want to leave a shit organization in the first place. I don't much care for love, but he's still a really talented player. Twice now in the last like 15ish years, Minnesota has had a top 3ish pf and failed to build a decent team around them. Their inept management decided to insult him further by not offering him the 5 year extension which he was happy to sign to stick around their long term. You're not willing to make that commitment to him, but then are going to be upset when free agency is so enticing to him.

6. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

They are better off without him, I think they understand it and that's what I get from the video. Wouldn't you be pissed if the Blazers wasted that many years for someone who couldn't even get them to the playoffs?

It would be interesting to see what they would have done should Love not have shown how grossly overrated he was.

7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

after Roy was done, there were 2 years Aldridge "failed to get us to the playoffs" as well. I'd be pissed more with our management if they made stupid decisions often, and chose to insult our best player for an unproven player. If we didn't draft Lillard and instead took Austin rivers there, and then saved our 5 year extension for rivers, and Aldridge left the following season, I wouldn't boo him when he returned or support our franchise being happy be was gone just because he couldn't get us to the playoffs.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

And I don't see how what you take away is them feeling like they're better without him. If they just showed their young guys? Absolutely. Even if they just highlighted the guys they got in the deal. Fine. To have a video talking about the return of Mike miller is just lame. I'd be pissed if the Blazers did something similar, personally.

9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

That's because you can't build a winning team around a PF, unless you have a transcendent talent at PF (Duncan). Winning teams are built around guards/wings.

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Garnett was a transcendant talent. Duncan played for a much better organization.

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And Centers...when the league was full of legit centers, like Hakeem, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, etc...
    You can build around a quality center as well. I do not think Howard is a quality center, more like a quality crybaby.

12. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Garnet was absolutely a transcendent talent. He also won in Boston being the #1 option.

13. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

As with PF you need to be a pretty transcendent C - merely being very good is not good enough.

14. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Pierce was the #1

15. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yup, BOS was always Pierce's team. They built the team around him by going out and trading for KG (and Ray). They didn't build around KG, they built around a SF.

Other PFs that were built around include:
    Bosh
    Pau
    Amare
    Sheed
    Barkley
    Webber
    What's McHale without Bird? Extremely good, but Bird was the centerpiece.
    What's Malone without Stockton? Again, extremely good, but Stockton made those teams work.

The lesson is: don't build around a PF and expect to win a championship. There have been a hell of a lot of really great PFs, but Duncan is the only one that was the centerpiece on a championship team. (I do not count Dirk as a success story built around a PF. If you want to, that's fine, but it was a one-and-done flukey championship and an exception rather than the rule. Sure, I'd love to win a championship even if it was a fluke, but I don't think it's a good route to take.)

16. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Takes one to know one Kevin:

Kevin Love calls Timberwolves video 'hilarious,'

17. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

But you can do the same for every position. You always have to be a transcendent talent with a great team.
    I can list McGrady, vince carter, reggie miller, Dominique, Clyde. Didn't win titles as dominant wings. Taking a 100% stance on you don't do things this way or that way in sports is just foolish

18. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Come on guys, Garnett was a lot better than Pierce. You can say Pierce was the #1 option, and I'm sure he was, but Garnett was the best player on that team.

19. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    But Malone made it to the finals and almost beat Chicago, which says a lot to me. You could also argue that sac queens should have won vs lakers. Game 6 was so terribly called.

20. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Well, sure, generally the best team(s) have the best player(s). But if you remove the Jordan's, Kobe's, and LBJ's, there's more history of good wings winning than good PFs winning. Pierce wasn't a transcendent player, just a very good wing. Unfortunately the last couple of decades were so dominated by 3 teams it's hard to look past the transcendence of Jordan/Kobe/Duncan. But even if you step back from "Champion" and look at who was in the Finals, the teams were generally built around very good guards/wings - Clyde, Miller, Iverson, Kidd, Payton*. Teams built around very good PFs generally didn't even make it to the Finals.

*Maybe you want to say the Sonics were built around Kemp, but he played more like a SF in a PF's body. And Payton was to Stockton and Kemp was to Malone.