Luck does not fall for us. Hawks #8 pick goes to the Bucks

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Hawksfreak, May 23, 2003.

1. Hawksfreak

Hawksfreak JBB JustBBall Member

Crap! This hurts. I ate a bowl of Lucky Charms (they are my brother's but my Hawks needed some luck). I thought it would happen. I thought we would get just one of the 1-3. C'mon, just a little luck and we would have gotten it!! This sucks. Bucks get our pick from because of the trade last year for Big Dog. We traded them Toni Kukoc , Leon Smith, and a future first rounder. We do have the #21 and #32 picks! So, that's good. GO HAWKS!

Workoutsm ended today and here are some quotes from some of the invitees.

Ronald Dupree -- Louisiana State University
    Dupree caught fire in this year?s SEC Tournament, earning all-tourney honors after scoring 15.7 points and grabbing eight rebounds in three games for the Tigers. During the 2002-03 season, he was the conference?s seventh leading scorer with 15.8 points and was named to the second team All-SEC unit for the third straight year. He finished his career with 1,726 points, eighth best all-time at LSU.
    Q - How was today's workout for you?
    A - "(takes a deep breath and smiles) This was the first workout for me and I'm feeling this right now. I've been working out since the end of the season and while I didn't know what to expect, I was able to learn what is required on this level. It was okay and something new, but I believe I did okay considering it was my first opportunity to work out for the Hawks. I've worked out constantly and managed to get another on in before I came over on Wednesday, so it was important to me to come prepared."

Q - Which teams have you worked out for thus far, or will over the next few days?"
    A - "Chicago and Denver on next week. " Q - If you were asked by our fans, how would you describe your style of play? A - "I'm a competitor who is aggressive and I bring a lot of athleticism to the table. A couple of things I need to work on is my ballhandling and shooting, and I believe I'm improving on both. During the games, you don't have to worry about pumping me up. I will bring a lot of energy and excitement. I try to pattern my game after guys like Richard Jefferson (New Jersey Nets forward) and Jason Richardson (Golden State Warriors forward) -- athletic guys who can play and that's my goal."

Q - Who was your favorite player growing up?
    A - "That's easy...MJ (Michael Jordan). But since he's ended his career again -- and I'm sorry to see him go -- I enjoy watching KG (Minnesota's Kevin Garnett). But Mike will also be number one with me."

Ugonna Onyekwe -- University of Pennsylvania
    The two-time POY of the Ivy League from Penn, Onyekwe was the first in league history to accomplish that feat after recording 11.7 points per game and 6.0 rebounds, and hitting 50 percent of his shots from the field in his final season. He is a 6-8 forward from London, England.

Q - According to Georgia Tech coach Cliff Warren (who was in attendance at Wednesday's workout), during your last appearance in Atlanta, you lit the Yellow Jackets up for 27 or 28 points. Seems like you left quite an impression on him.
    A - "Yeah, it was the first of my junior season. My first trip to Atlanta was a good trip for me and I was looking forward to coming back when the Hawks called."

Q - How would you assess your workout today?
    A - "It went pretty well, although I was disappointed in the way I shot the ball. Since this was my first workout, I really didn't know what to expect coming in, but I thought all of us worked hard during the session (70 minutes) and gave the coaches and staff an idea of what we could do."

Q - Talk about your style of play and what stands out to you?
    A - "I would say that I always play hard, and that one of the strongest part of my game is going strong to the basket."

Q - Was the workout everything you expected it would be?
    A - "While I don't have anything to compare it to at this point, I thought it was."

Q - Is there a current NBA player whose game you emulate?
    A - "I don't know, that's a good question. I do like watching guys like Scottie Pippen, Tracy McGrady, Jason Kidd, Dirk (Nowitkzi) and Kobe (Bryant) and guys who are closer to my size and position."

LaVell Blanchard -- University of Michigan
    The 1999 Gatorade National Player of the Year became the first player in the history of Michigan basketball to lead the team in scoring and rebounding all four years. Blanchard was named to All-Big Ten in each of his four seasons in Ann Arbor, including a unanimous first team selection (coaches and media) as a senior.

Q ? Describe today?s workout?
    A ? It was fun out there today, I learned a lot of things. It was tough, I just played as hard as I could. We were on the court a little longer than I thought we?d be but it was fun, the time flew by.

Q ? How do you think you faired out there?
    A ? I don?t know how I played. I just know I played as hard as I could and that?s all I really can do right now. My main thing is putting in the effort, playing hard and showing people I?m a competitor.

Q ? How many workouts have you had so far?
    A ? This was my first workout. I have a few more scheduled but I think I got off on the right foot today. I just want to improve my game as much as I can.

Q ? What attributes can you bring to a team?
    A ? I just want to work hard and help the team win. Whatever I can do, whether it?s getting a rebound, a bucket, a stop or whatever, I?m just going to play hard and to the best of my abilities.

Prentiss Gates ? Southern Poly Tech
    A NAIA Third Team All-American, Gates was selected as Georgia's NAIA/NCAA III Player of the Year at the 35th annual Naismith Awards this past season. The Atlanta Tipoff Club named Gates the Georgia NAIA/NCAA Division III Player of the Year after he averaged 17.8 points and 7.1 rebounds per contest on 54.4% shooting from the floor.

Q ? How was the workout?
    A ? It was a good workout, a tough workout. Everything went well in general. We did quite a few different drills. I?m thankful for this opportunity, it was a good experience.

Q ? Have you worked out for anyone else?
    A ? For this being my first workout I think played alright. I learned from it. The experience will definitely help down the line in future workouts.

Q ? How do you think you faired out there?
    A ? I just tried to play hard and do what they told me to do. I think everything went pretty well overall.

Q ? What attributes can you bring to a team?
    A ? I think I can do a little bit of everything. My athleticism is plus. I?ll do whatever a team needs.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

who had the biggest impact in the workouts?

3. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

When you look at ATL's roster, i thought they should have won a lot more games than they actually did.

4. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "thefranchise3":</div><div class="quote_post">When you look at ATL's roster, i thought they should have won a lot more games than they actually did.</div>

when i see the hawks roster i see a playoff team

5. Hawksfreak

I do not know yet

I don't know who most impressed us, but I will tell you as soon as I find out. This is what happened this year. As any other Hawk fan I was hyped at the beginning of this year. It was disapointing but when Big Dog was hurt we were 9-3 and we were a defensive minded team.

GIVEN UP PPG

W/ Big Dog: 97 ppg
    W/O Big Dog: 88 ppg

That is a huge difference. It just goes to show you how much Ira Newble means to this team. He changes the game because his job is to shut down the other team's #1 go to guy. He usually does an A+ job at that. He stopped Jordan from hitting two crucial shots (In ATL, and in WAS). He held Kobe to 15 points when they first met. He help McGrady to 21 each time they faced each other in Atlanta. What I am trying to point out is we are a better team without Glenn Robinson and if Newble was in the starting lineup the whole year, we would be in the playoffs.

6. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

Are you trying to say that you think Big Dog may not be in atlanta next season? I didnt expect them to get 1-3, heck even top 6.

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

dermarr being out hurt too - he was showing signs of his potential towards the end of last year

problem is u won't make the playoffs with only a couple of guys who do anything on the defensive end (ratliff and newble), players like big dog, terry, reef etc don't pull their weight

8. Hawksfreak

Yes, I am saying I dought that Dog' will be here next year. I think we will trade him for a future first rounder. We need to focus on resigning JT, Glover, and Newble. With all three of them in the starting 5, we will make the playoffs. I would also like to resign DeRmarr and Ham but that is a long shot.

9. Spotk1us

Spotk1us JBB JustBBall Member

Atlanta is not a good team at all. They just need Kukoc to step up more and maybe just maybe their perimeter shot will go down