Lundqvist Buyout

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by NYR Fan, Sep 29, 2020.

1. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Buyout coming tomorrow per reports:

The buyout of the final season of his seven-year, $59.5 million deal that commenced in 2014-15, orchestrated in concert with Lundqvist, has created an additional $3 million of 2020-21 cap space for the Blueshirts, who are awash with just over $23 million of it in the aftermath of Marc Staal’s trade to the Red Wings. The buyout will add $1.5 million in dead space for 2021-22.

2. NYR Fan

The right and expected move, but still sad to see him go. He was an all-time great, and left it all on the ice for this franchise. Took us right to the edge, a SCF and 3 ECF trips, but we simply could not score enough to get over the hump fully.

Thank you for 15 great years Hank. # 30 will be in the rafters forever soon after you retire.

stampedehero and Ranger71 like this.
  3. NYR Fan

Fifteen seasons, 11 trips to the postseason the first 12 years, 11 playoff series victories, a trip to the Cup final in 2014 folded into three trips to the Eastern Conference finals within four years during the halcyon days of the last decade, franchise records with 459 victories, 64 shutouts, 61 postseason victories, the 2011-12 Vezina Trophy and a first-All-Star team berth that same Black-and-Blueshirt season.

4. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What can you say. A great HOF career.

5. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Disgrace he won only one Vezina. Sadly, some of our moron fans don't understand that he played with a crap offense in front of him his entire career. They never could get him that scorer. Nash was supposed to be it and failed epically. Mostly because of the concussions.

6. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Hopefully he can get to 500 wins, and even win a SC if not us. I bet he ends up with Calgary or Edmonton. Hopefully not Boston or somewhere like the loser Devils or Penguins.

7. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

I started watching hockey in 03-04 (15 years old). Hard to believe that much time has elapsed since Hank has been on the team. Idk what happened after the 2015 season I never could watch hockey like I use to. I would never miss a game but now I probably only watch 20 games out of the season. I like this new young team... will they be as good as the Hank teams.. hopefully they can be better

theProdigy223 likes this.
  8. NYR Fan

Hopefully they can be better, and actually score some goals in big games in big spots.

strudwickisthebest likes this.
  9. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I hear you. I still watch but I dont live and die the way I did with those peak Henrik teams. Starting with the surprise run to the ECF against the Devils and ending with the disaster TB ECF - not sure I'll ever be more invested in a sports team than I was during those runs, and Henrik was the driving force behind it.

The team we are putting together now will be great and wouldnt be at all surprised if the cup is here within 5 years. But damnit I wish Hank was a part of it.

10. NYR Fan

I have sort of the same feelings, but I do think when the current team gets back to those heights, be it this upcoming season or shortly thereafter, I'll be back to where I was 2012-2016.

And we will have the cup here within 3-5 years. I fully believe that. I have total faith in JD and Gorton. We have the best young core in the NHL, including a potential stud in Lafreniere and a very good Kakko. We really have no bad contracts left (Smith is not a huge issue and only 1 more year). And after this upcoming season we get big money opening up based on dead money buyouts going down (almost 6 mill with Shatt and 4 mill with Hank).

So I think we'll be one of the best teams in the NHL sooner rather than later. And while the SC is so difficult to win, I believe we will win it or worst case be right there with the best having a great shot to win it, which is all you can ask for.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  11. theProdigy223

Dont get me wrong I'll still be all-in on these teams and really looking forward to this core maturing and being competitive. But struds and I sound like we are the same age (early 30s). Henrik broke in while we were in high school and hit his peak while we were in college. Speaking for myself Hank is probably the last athlete I'll revere and "look up to" as more than just a young guy that is good at sports. Felt the same way with Eli.

It's a hard dynamic to put into words but that said I fully look forward to the next run we are gearing up for.

12. strudwickisthebest

I agree Prod. Wanted so badly for those guys to win a cup, especially D. Moore, Boyle, Girardi, Hank, Dorset, etc. I was too heavily invested in the team during those years and boy was it fun to watch. I wish I could watch sports now and have that same gusto.

Yes, early 30s and I too took a liking into them in the high school years. They got me through my college years and I’ll never forgot my friends threw me a bachelor Party at Foxwoods in a huge suite (my friend Mike is a degenerate gambler). I’ll never forget sitting there getting a lap dance while watching game six of that Montreal series. 2011-2016 were truly the best years I had watching hockey... I remember the 94 team and watching it but I was too young to really appreciate that team.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  13. kreidertime

Lundqvist not winning a cup will be one of my most painful sports memories ever. I would gladly spit in the face of the officials that helped rob him of that achievement with their fucking incompetence.

14. theProdigy223

Great point. Eli's end was easier to swallow because he had his two rings. With Henrik there will always be that feeling of unfinished business.

15. strudwickisthebest

Mine too.

16. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

30’s?? LOL! U guys are young whippersnappers. I’m 65 And started with the rangers early 60‘s listening to Marv Albert on my transistor radio under my pillow. Been a crazy ranger fan ever since. Plenty of heartbreak teams that could have won cups in early 70’s in 79 when we almost had a 2-0 lead at Montreal before collapsing, the year or 2 before we won the cup when graves broke Mario’s wrist and if I remember right richter fanned on a shot from somewhere around mid ice. That final where we lost 3 games in OT and 1 or 2 of those in 2 OT were all painful. It sucks hank won’t get a cup but that’s life. As a yankee fan I feel the same way about mattingly who was a great player whose back forced him to retire right before the yanks went into dynasty mode. The team that’s here now is the youngest on the league but I believe will be a force to reckon with this year and for many years to come. Can’t wait for next week when they call out Alexis name and make some more moves to fortify the roster. After a short break the good times are back again!!!!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    theProdigy223, Ranger71 and cagedlion like this.
  17. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I had one of those transistor radios that i listened to in 79' as a kid when they were on WNBC radio before it became FAN.

18. kreidertime

Thank God that piece of shit Gray's contract is up this year and she's history. She cost us any Rangers or Knicks on the FAN. WFAN has turned into a dumb fuck run station. FAN is supposed to represent us the fans. You don't do that when you don't have any Knicks or Rangers on your station.

19. NYR Fan

Hank signing with the Caps on Friday. Happy for him, but did he need to sign in the same division, come on man.

20. kreidertime

Who cares. He's washed up at this point.

mrmel29 likes this.