Madsen makes impact off bench

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Linkin, May 15, 2004.

1. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Meet the Timberwolves' new backup center, at least for the near future: Mark Madsen.

Determined to get more out of the position -- more production, more energy -- Wolves coach Flip Saunders sat the struggling Michael Olowokandi and played Madsen for 26 minutes Friday night.

The result? A team-and career-high 13 rebounds, seven points and five enthusiastic fouls in the Wolves' 86-74 victory. Oh, and a bucketload of energy that rivaled Latrell Sprewell for total wattage.

"For us the key is that we have to have a couple of our big guys going," coach Flip Saunders said. "Tonight we used Mark's defensive ability to get us going."

It was just what the Wolves needed. Madsen provided some muscle, especially when it came to rebounding. He had eight rebounds on the offensive end. He also hit five of eight free throws.

"If they're posting up a lot, and scoring on the block, then we have to go with more length," Saunders said. "If they're scoring over Mark, maybe you can't use him as much. But the way [the Kings] are playing, using their guys at the elbow a lot, we were able to use Mark a lot."</div>
    Link

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Speaking of numbers, Saunders said Madsen now officially is the No. 2 center in the playoffs behind starter Ervin Johnson.

"I'll do my very best to respond," Madsen said of the promotion.

Michael Olowokandi has dropped off the depth charts, if not the face of the earth. Saunders has put him in mothballs. Madsen and Gary Trent are absorbing most of those minutes. And while Trent wasn't lighting it up when he was out there in the first half, at least he wasn't fouling or turning the ball over.</div>
    Link

2. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

Madsen has been making an impact all season long for the Wolves off the bench. I like Madsen better in the series vs. the Kings because he brings so much energy off the bench, but I might like Olowokandi if we play the Lakers. If we play the Spurs though, I see Madsen getting major minutes.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

The only thing I remember about Mark Madsen was that one shot he missed against Memphis that was one foot away from the basket. That basket could have secured a victory for the Wolves, but the Grizzlies ended up winning. [​IMG]

4. jbbJosh

jbbJosh JBB JustBBall Member

Madsen brings so much energy to the game that it makes players, such as Spree, better. Latrell was already hitting some shots, but Madsen out there made him continue. One thing Mark could work on though is free throw shooting, which could make or break games in the playoffs if he plays bigger minutes. I like him much more than Olowakandi, who I remember played horrible at Arco. He should sit out more often, cause Madsen is getting the job done. Wolves in 6.

5. TWolfFanatic

TWolfFanatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Josh:</div><div class="quote_post">Madsen brings so much energy to the game that it makes players, such as Spree, better. Latrell was already hitting some shots, but Madsen out there made him continue. One thing Mark could work on though is free throw shooting, which could make or break games in the playoffs if he plays bigger minutes. I like him much more than Olowakandi, who I remember played horrible at Arco. He should sit out more often, cause Madsen is getting the job done. Wolves in 6.</div>

I agree that Mark is usually an erratic FT shooter but Mark hit 5-8 Friday night.

Alot's been written about Mad Dog's energy but it's obvious that he's alot more than that. He's the T'Wolves' best offensive rebounder & he's got great defensive footwork. Obviously, he'll never play in an All Star game but he'll win more NBA championship trophies before he retires as a T'Wolf.

6. E-bro92

E-bro92 JBB JustBBall Member

yes he does have energy but rick adelman has done a good job by matching his energy with that of brad miller, right when brad came in madsen was a non factor, they just cancelled each other out.