Magic Sign-and-Trade Hedo, Acquire Trade Exception

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by bbwSwish, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Reported on Yahoo's NBA Twitter. The exception is worth $10 million which means we could now potentially sign-and-trade for David Lee, Paul Millsap, or Lamar Odom.

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I thought you had to have cap space to try and sign a player. Can you use the trade exception to sign a player to $10 million/year and then have his original team sign him and trade him?

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

A team can go over the cap to re-sign their own player. Nice move by Otis Smith to get something of significant value for Hedo.

The original team would have to sign the player for $10M and then trade him to Orlando for the trade exception. It has to be a one for one deal so you can't have multiple players involved.

4. Mamba

Yeah, but like...I don't see how the Magic are players for Lee, Millsap, or Odom like Swish said.

I know you can go over the cap for your own player, but none of those are coming from the Magic.

So the Magic couldn't throw $10 million @ Odom, right?

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

It's a sign and trade. The team that owns the FA can go over the cap to sign them, then they can be traded to whoever. That's my understanding. So yeah, the Magic could throw 10 mil at Odom.

A trade exception can not be packaged with another player. I'm not sure if it can be packaged with picks. The Magic could do just break a deal up into two separate trades though. I.E. if it was Odom trade #1 is a re-signed Odom for the TE. But the two teams agree to a trade with more stuff involved which is where a second trade comes in where they swap players/picks/cash/whatever. Obviously the Lakers would have to agree to a trade though which is where they could get a nice return on trading Odom- thus reducing the chances that L.A. trades him. If they don't like anything that Orlando is offering then they can just choose not to facilitate such a trade because only LAL (or teams under the salary cap) can sign Odom to a contract above the MLE.

6. Run BJM

So to answer your question if the Magic wanted Odom they would have to work a trade with the Lakers, who would demand fair value in return.

I'd say its more likely that Orlando tries to get a non-FA from a team desperate to shed salary for just cap relief (no other players or picks) in return. They don't have many players they can trade and their picks are worth dick since they're contenders. For example, the Jazz want to dump Okur for no salary back so they can bring back their boy Millsap. The Magic can trade that exception for Okur.

I think an S&T for an FA is less likely because the teams who own the rights to Odom/Lee/Millsap would demand equal compensation in return. Orlando basically has nothing to trade since they're contending- they're not moving Dwight, VC, Jameer, Shard, Pietrus. That leaves Redick, Ryan Anderson, Anthony Johnson. Not much potential for a deal. They're much more likely to poach some team desperate to dump salary immediately whether it be due to poor economic situation or the alleged 2010 FA bonanza.

7. Lost One

Lost One ...

I'd trade Lamar of Jameer Nelson. Deal, Swish?

8. Mamba

Ah. That makes sense.

Yeah, I was just confused by being a player for Odom comment that Swish made.

Why on God's earth would the Lakers sign that deal just for a trade exception.

A lot of times trade exceptions go unused. You guys think Orlando will use theirs?

9. Run BJM

Yeah, probably. Not sure what their cap situation is they seem to be willing to spend since they're contenders but then again they just let Hedo walk. They've got no depth right now and they don't necessarily have to use all 10 mil of the exception, they could just nab a player who makes a few million and let the rest of the exception expire. They've also still got the MLE to play with I believe.

10. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

just curious, can a team 10 mill under the cap sign and trade a player? Like memphis (not sure of their salary situation) signs a player for 10 million then ships him off to orlando?

11. Run BJM

No. Only the team to whom the FA belongs can sign and trade a player elsewhere.

12. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Honestly, I think this was done with David Lee in mind. Hes from Florida, he went to U of F, hes a real 4 that can help Dwight on the boards, and he doesnt need touches, he can get them for himself. I wouldnt be surprised if there is something brewing with the Knicks and a 3rd team already.

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Interesting thought there. I was thinking maybe the Magic were targeting Carlos Boozer with this move. He only has 1 year left on his deal with Utah and they are desperate to get a trade done. A Boozer/Howard front court would be deadly. Boozer is one of the best big men in pick & roll offense and he'd make teams think twice about doubling Howard down low. They should compliment one another perfectly.

PG - Nelson
    SG - Carter
    SF - Lewis
    PF - Boozer
    C - Howard

The Magic would have the best starting 5 in the league.

14. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Boozer could be a target as well....I think they are seeking a legit 4, so they can move Lewis back to the three(where he belongs) and give Howard some help down low. The key is finding a team that wants to salary dump and will take that exception and then find a team that wants something from them that has a 4 to give up. Or they might just play Anderson at the 4 and wait to see what kind of injuires occur during the season.