Make Nash Beat Us?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Tince, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people around here complain, but don't have actual solutions to our problems, but let me throw this out there. Here is my proposed defensive scheme.

Make Steve Nash beat you with his shot.

Go under every screen, that way we don't have a mismatch on the post and Nash is unable to drive to the hoop.

Double Amare or any post up off Nash, don't rotate, and make him shoot.

Whoever Nash is defending, run him off double and triple picks.

In the end, Nash might score 50, 60, 70 points, but we might limit anyone else from getting in double digits.

Its extreme, but we're severely out matched talent wise, and I'm trying to come up with a solution.

2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Yes. I can get behind this plan. I'm tired of the old man and the third option going off on us like Ike Turner on a bender.

3. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Richardson is the one who is murdering us, and leaving Nash to roam free and make decisions with no pressure is no solution at all, 'cause he'll tear this team to pieces. The only 'solution' is everybody on the team playing tight man defense on the perimeter and hoping to god that Amare' doesn't get off in the post ... :dunno:

4. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I personally like the idea of putting a strong player who can be aggressive, like webster/bayless, at the 2 and have them attack evertime nash is on them to try and get him into foul trouble. Taking Nash out of the game solves the "do we take nash out of the game or the role players?" Scenario.

5. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

My strategy is to deny Richardson at all times. We're not helping off to slow down Nash at all in my strategy, so Richardson would have a very hard time getting touches let alone the wide open threes.

I'm not saying I even think this is a great idea, but I'm trying to come up with solutions. There is no obvious, simple solution, if there was, we'd already be doing it!

Your suggestion of tight man on the perimeter would just to a ton of layups when guys like Richardson, Barbosa, Nash, and Dragic blow by Miller and Rudy.

6. BlazerCaravan

A good man-to-man that prevents kickouts, and turns all those threes into twos would help us immensely just by sheer volume of "less one point" scored.

7. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

If you double Richardson and leave Nash Completely alone he won't miss layups and he won't miss threes ... I do agree there are no simple solutions; this team is just outmanned.

8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I like your idea of attacking Nash. The problem with Bayless is that Nash will sit at the FT line and dare Bayless to score while Amare, Collins, and Frye wait for him in the paint.

9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We agree on this!

10. BlazerCaravan

Phoenix hit 13 threes tonight. Drop Phoenix's score by 13 (108 -> 95) and add in 6 of our 12 missed free throws, and we go to overtime tonight.

11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I think our defense just needs to be more aggressive from the tipoff. Marty did a fantastic job on Nash in the second half, and I'd still let JRich get his. The problem here is lack of focus early in the game, along with weak, uninspired play.

What I do want Nate to focus on, especially since he failed to do so after Game 2, is ways to defeat the LA double teams. Strategically, he's letting LA post up in the wrong place on the floor where it's easy to double. And he's not putting LaMarcus in any pick and rolls with Dre. Just horrible execution on O tonight, after that pathetic performance on Tuesday.

12. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

You bring up a good point...for all the love (deserved) of Batum defending everyone from PGs to PFs, Webster did that today after Nic went out--covered Nash the majority of the time Bayless was out and switched up onto Amare on more than a few occasions.