Making the team marginally better? Or winning a Championship?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Idog1976, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    Am I the only one here with a singular vision of someone in a Blazers uniform hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy in the next ten years? I can't believe all the posts I see about adding marginal utility to this team and/or gutting our one hope of winning a ring. I'm sorry you can hate it, you can be pissed about it, but the fact is our SOLE hope of winning a ring during the Stern Wet Dream Team era is if we build this team around Oden. Fucking period. Anything else is a just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

Sure, we could trade Oden + whoever for Paul, but really unless we are trading Oden for Brook Lopez or Dwight Howard we're just fucking our chances. I mean if you are going to trade Oden you better be trading him to the Timber wolves for unprotected picks from 2015 to 2020 attempting to circumvent the LeBron era.

Honestly does anyone think there is ANY reasonable trade we can do that sends Oden out and results in a championship? I will say right now that NO FUCKING WAY do we win a ring if you trade Oden for Paul so please give me another scenario.

Look probably more then ANYONE on this board I've been horribly, soul crushingly devastated by all of Oden's injuries. I've been a GO backer since day one and have been horrified and dismayed by his injuries.

Let's be honest though. Do you want to win a ring or get marginally better?

I don't know maybe you'd be satisfied by a WCF exit or an 0 - 4 sweep by the Heat if LA implodes? I don't want a finals appearance I had plenty of those with Clyde, I don't want the WCF we've won that and been 7 minutes away just 10 years ago.

I WANT A GOD DAMNED RING.

That means you have to hope, pray, sell your soul, sacrifice goats and whatever else you do to put good energy into Oden getting better and build around him.

The people who constantly knock Oden (Nik I know you kid so I don't mean you) or talk about trading him clearly don't give a fuck about winning during the Heat era. Period.

Please tell me why I'm wrong and what trades you can come up centered around Oden that get us a ring. If you have totally given up on Oden I propose it's time to blow up the team for future unprotected firsts starting in about 2015.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    PtldPlatypus likes this.
  2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

You can't have back-to-back firsts traded to you from another team. So it'd have to be the 2015/17/19/21 first from Minny. And actually, you can't trade for more than 5 years in advance, so it'd be the 11/13/15 or 12/14/16 firsts.
    Other than that, I agree.

3. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    LOL, right on. I forgot about that. ;)

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I've been thinking something similar (but not quite as passionately. Repped, BTW, for true fanaticism). I always hear how stars win in this league, and we don't have any (except Roy). It makes me think that we're wasting our time going after "safe" players like Miller and Matthews, and drafting similarly (Cunningham, Johnson, Babbitt...). If I were a GM, I think would do nothing but go after high-ceiling, high-potential guys until I've unearthed 2 or 3 who become legit all-stars. I'm tired of "high BBIQ guys"--I want some guys with fire who want to destroy the opponent, and have the athleticism (if perhaps not yet the skill) to do it.

5. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Idog,

Didn't you just create a trade post wherein we send out Andre Miller, Bayless and other parts and all we end up with is Mike Conley and Anderson Verejao?

#justsayin

6. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Conley and Varejao are just waiting for the right supporting cast to make their championship run; clearly LeBron wasn't enough for Big V.

7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

LA sent shit out and got Pau Gasol. So "realistic" is a broad term.

I am not in favor of trading Oden unless it brings a superstar type to Portland. Howard, Paul, Williams etc. I am not in favor of sending him out for Parker, Ellis, Harris type. The league is built around superstars, and adding one is our only real hope of winning. If Oden stays healthy this year, he is still not a superstar. Like someone said in another thread, 2 very goods don't equal superstar

8. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    You're right about that. I meant meant the marginal utility of trading GO for Paul. Title wasn't my best effort. What I mean is you might have a SAFER shot to mid-tier playoff team by trading GO, but no shot at a title.

9. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    LOL, ok you guys nailed me on that one, see my response to Nik above.

10. BlazerCaravan

That makes more sense, and is short enough for me to read. :D I agree, too; our title hopes rest on having a healthy GO beast alongside Roy and two more good/very good players.

11. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    I'm saying that GO is your second superstar his PER of 23.1 was good for 8th in the league before he went down and he was getting BETTER each game:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/odengr01.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holl.../insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

He was a hair's breadth below CP3 and ABOVE both Pau Gasol and Carmelo Anthony both roundly considered Superstars. His usage rate was by FAR the lowest in the top 10 meaning more touches and his PER could easily improve. He also played the least minutes of the top 10 by a large margin. His offensive rebound rate and TS% LEAD THE LEAGUE.

It's all about health with him.

12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Guys like Telfaire, Outlaw, Webster, Bayless. Or, guys we passed on like Tyrus Thomas, Rudy Gay, Anthony Randolph. We have high potential/ceilin gguys iN Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Bayless and Batum. When you get good pieces like that, sometimes it works to fill in guys around them, as opposed to constantly cycling through guys who might not get much time on the team.

Also, how many guys truly "become' superstars after a few years, but who were drafted on high potential primarily?

13. BlazerCaravan

PER is harder to maintain as your usage rate goes up; therefore, the big test is getting GO to a usage rate around 18% while maintaining his 24 PER. IF he can do BOTH successfully, he will be a Superstar, period.

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

LOL @ MARGINAL UTILITY OF TRADING GO FOR PAUL.

You're trading a player who's been injured for 2/3 of his career for the BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE, AND YOU CALL IT MARGINAL UTILITY.

I would usually never say this, but you're so full of shit.

15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

When he played, he was a gome changer....no doubt. I'm not sure the league looked at him as a superstar though, and IMO, that's what you need. You need marketabe players for the NBA to promote. 10/8.5 isn't going to get it done. 16/10 won't either. That is basically Troy Murphy/Joakim Noah numbers. Not superstar numbers. While Oden would have MUCH more inpact on the game as those two, the league needs to think he is worth the calls and hype in order to get anywhere

16. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    But it IS marginal utility! I already explained it's a gamble going with GO, and the safe play is Paul. Which one wins you a ring? Paul would IF we had a dominant big man. I mean if you're going for Paul you better trade LMA for Favors or drug the GM of Orlando or New Jersey for Lopez/Howard. Because otherwise you are pissing in the wind.

My ENTIRE point is that Paul makes us better without question, maybe he takes us to the Finals, but we would be fucking pistol whipped by the Heat. Our only prayer IMO of beating the Heat or LA is a healthy GO barring some miraculous Pau Gasol type trade for Lopez or Howard.

I guess you could roll the dice on getting Marc Gasol (possible) next to Paul. I will tell you one thing. No fucking way we win a ring with Paul LMA and Roy. Not even a chance. We might win ONE or TWO games versus the Heat, but I doubt we get past LA's length anyways.

17. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    I absolutely agree with this. Sadly Roy burned that bridge when he talked shit about the officials in the high after his 52 point game. I think Oden who was hyped quite a bit during the draft is our best shot at that as well. I also agree that his numbers didn't look superstarish I think that is as much to do with how Nate was using him as anything. Also minutes of course.

18. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Well if you say so, it must be true!!!!!!!!!!

Forget that Paul was runner up for MVP two seasons ago. Forget that Paul had a 30.0 PER in 08-09.

No, let's put all our eggs into hoping Oden stays healthy AND develops into a superstar!

Yeah, that's MUCH SAFER than acquiring the best PG in the league because he'd only make our team MARGINALLY better.

Yeah, I'm done. I can't take you seriously anymore. Especially since you also say Favors would be a game changing big without ever watching him play a game in the NBA.

Oh by the way, the Celtics took the Lakers to 7 games when their best big was a Garnett who, right now, is no better than Aldridge. They lost that game 7 by 4 points, and didn't even have Perkins. You're not going to convince me that getting Paul wouldn't turn us into a perennial contender that has a good shot to win titles every year.

19. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Yet Roy got to the line slightly more this past season than the season prior, while taking less shots inside. Don't think the 52 point game affected anything with Roy.

20. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    I don't know Favors can be anymore then you know he CAN'T be.

By the way I said Paul was a safer bet and would probably take us to the Finals did you even read what I wrote?

From everytime you've replied to my posts I've never seen you respond with much of anything but scorn so it's not much of a loss that you "no longer take me seriously".

I was saying Roll the dice with Favors. The only guys I KNOW could help us like GO is Howard and Lopez. Pretty sure they aren't going anywhere.

You really think Paul/Roy/LMA has us beat LA and Miami in a 7 game series?

That's the entire point here bro. It's about having a CHANCE to win a title not a certain improvement in record with no chance to win.