Manning

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Bearsfan1, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

is now the hands down greatest qb of all time.

2. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

Greatest of All Time???

I certainly think he's in the discussion but I'm not sure I'd give him greatest of all time title yet.

3. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

I think When(Notice not IF but When! lol) he breaks all the other QB records we put him there, but until then he's just the BEST waiting in line...i guess lol.

Im not really looking foward to seeing his mug in 50 more commericals though!

4. Packersfan

Packersfan nfl-*****s member

Idk, he's definately really good, but the best? He's definately been lucky to have a lot of good players on his team. Like I said I still think he's a great qb but come on, the best? He's got 2 great WR's that can stretch the field, and he went from having Edgerin James to Joseph Addai, both good RB's. I mean, maybe it's just that it's hard to give the title "greatest" to someone when there's been so many players before my lifetime, but I just don't see Manning as the greatest.

5. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Idk, he's definately really good, but the best? He's definately been lucky to have a lot of good players on his team. Like I said I still think he's a great qb but come on, the best? He's got 2 great WR's that can stretch the field, and he went from having Edgerin James to Joseph Addai, both good RB's. I mean, maybe it's just that it's hard to give the title "greatest" to someone when there's been so many players before my lifetime, but I just don't see Manning as the greatest.</div>
    Farve had chmura ad sterling sharp etc etfc. every good QB has good WRs. dumb argument. NEXT

6. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

Look how well Edgerin James did with Arizona - maybe the presence of a good QB who keeps defenses guessing is why Addai, Rhodes, and James were so good (at least part of the reason).

You have to include Manning in the discussion if nothing else. He has consistently been a top QB and the only knock on him was poor performances in big games. He played well in the biggest game last night...

7. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Idk, he's definately really good, but the best? He's definately been lucky to have a lot of good players on his team. Like I said I still think he's a great qb but come on, the best? He's got 2 great WR's that can stretch the field, and he went from having Edgerin James to Joseph Addai, both good RB's. I mean, maybe it's just that it's hard to give the title "greatest" to someone when there's been so many players before my lifetime, but I just don't see Manning as the greatest.</div>
    Farve had chmura ad sterling sharp etc etfc. every good QB has good WRs. dumb argument. NEXT</div>
    I agree w/ BF1.

Colts managment, personnel, etc... has done a great job in contributing to Peyton's "luck".

If any QB was lucky it was Steve Young.

8. Packersfan

But what makes you say he's the greatest, there's other qb's who have put up better #'s (Favre is about to own every record). There's qb's with more Super Bowl rings (Brady already has 3). So you can't say he's hands down the greatest. I did say he's a great qb, but it's not like he's doing this with a bad team. Saying he's hands down the greatest ever, is an ignorant statement.

9. Phinsuck

Phinsuck nfl-*****s member

Yeah but people in the media are saying it. I doubt BF1 really thinks it and if he does, he has lost all credibility. The MEDIA paints Manning as the Messiah, God, or the Golden Boy of the NFL. Damn Tom Brady for playing far better than his draft position, Manning should have his rings instead of him. I guess thats just the media for you though.

10. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>But what makes you say he's the greatest, there's other qb's who have put up better #'s (Favre is about to own every record). There's qb's with more Super Bowl rings (Brady already has 3). So you can't say he's hands down the greatest. I did say he's a great qb, but it's not like he's doing this with a bad team. Saying he's hands down the greatest ever, is an ignorant statement.</div>
    look, his total #s arent better, but he clearly has better #s on a season to season basis than any other QB and now he has the ring.

11. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

It's really simple when dealing with the "media". They root for the underdog until he gets his & then they want to tear them down just as fast.

12. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah but people in the media are saying it. I doubt BF1 really thinks it and if he does, he has lost all credibility. The MEDIA paints Manning as the Messiah, God, or the Golden Boy of the NFL. Damn Tom Brady for playing far better than his draft position, Manning should have his rings instead of him. I guess thats just the media for you though.</div>
    Stupid media. What are thinking by talking about Peyton Manning the day after he won the Super Bowl. They should be talking about how great Tom Brady is. By the way, I'm sick and tired of all the Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana crap! Joe is a shmoe compared to the Great Tom Brady. The Great Tom Brady should have his forth ring after having won the Super Bowl three weeks ago against the Chargers. I would talk more about Tom Brady's greatness, but watching him play football in that Patriots uniform makes me want to knit a flag and sing the Star Spangled Banner.

13. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah but people in the media are saying it. I doubt BF1 really thinks it and if he does, he has lost all credibility. The MEDIA paints Manning as the Messiah, God, or the Golden Boy of the NFL. Damn Tom Brady for playing far better than his draft position, Manning should have his rings instead of him. I guess thats just the media for you though.</div>
    There are still larger numbers in the media who still think Tommy Boy is all that and more even though he has not done jack squat in a few seasons. The media loved to hate on Manning simply because of the pedigree and talent yet he could not overcome... until last night that is.

14. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

Please don't tell me you don't think Brady gets any media love. Sure, Manning gets media love, but this is also a guy who sports a career 94.4 QB rating (2nd best all time). Honestly, just look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning#NFL_records and tell me he doesn't deserve to be in the conversation for best QB in the league right now.

15. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah but people in the media are saying it. I doubt BF1 really thinks it and if he does, he has lost all credibility. The MEDIA paints Manning as the Messiah, God, or the Golden Boy of the NFL. Damn Tom Brady for playing far better than his draft position, Manning should have his rings instead of him. I guess thats just the media for you though.</div>
    Stupid media. What are thinking by talking about Peyton Manning the day after he won the Super Bowl. They should be talking about how great Tom Brady is. By the way, I'm sick and tired of all the Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana crap! Joe is a shmoe compared to the Great Tom Brady. The Great Tom Brady should have his forth ring after having won the Super Bowl three weeks ago against the Chargers. I would talk more about Tom Brady's greatness, but watching him play football in that Patriots uniform makes me want to knit a flag and sing the Star Spangled Banner.</div>
    Wow. Great minds i.e the Dwo thinks alike and simultaneously.

16. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's really simple when dealing with the "media". They root for the underdog until he gets his & then they want to tear them down just as fast.</div>
    I'll agree w/ that.

17. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I want to wait and see what happens in the next 10 years before I crown him. Manning will go down in history as Top 5 of all time. I have no doubt in my mind. However this could be his only Super Bowl ever. Marino only got to that one and never got back. The Colts are going to lose a lot of guys next year. Dungy is likely going to retire in the next season or two. Manning?s numbers could very well start to slide especially when Marvin Harrison retires. I'm on a wait and see yet.

Also you just don't know what can happen in the NFL. Yes Manning is on a pedestal now but things will and can change very fast. Brady could win 3 more Super Bowls. As much as a lot of forum members hate him, that?ll put him up there whether you like it or not. Favre could win one more with a completely different team and different coaches and being the all time statistical leader in the game. What would that say about him? Probably an awful a lot. Plus you still have John Elway who elevated 3 mediocre Bronco teams to the Super Bowl and closed out his career with 2 rings. Joe Montana is still Joe Montana and he probably has more defining moments than any other QB of all time.

One thing we do know about Manning and even Tom Brady. Both will very likely be in the same discussion when it comes to the greatest of all time as will all the names I named above.

18. Packersfan

^^ I agree Manning is one of the greatest, and I in no way am trying to dispute that. What I am disputing is the 1st statement in this thread. It is completely ignorant and disrespectfull to all the other great qb's to say that Manning is hands down the best ever. That's saying that no one is better, not even arguably better.

19. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's really simple when dealing with the "media". They root for the underdog until he gets his & then they want to tear them down just as fast.</div>
    I'll agree w/ that.</div>
    Only if he's <u>white</u> of course.

20. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>^^ I agree Manning is one of the greatest, and I in no way am trying to dispute that. What I am disputing is the 1st statement in this thread. It is completely ignorant and disrespectfull to all the other great qb's to say that Manning is hands down the best ever. That's saying that no one is better, not even arguably better.</div>
    how is it ignroant? I dotn understand? Explain that? Do you know what the word means?

How is it disrespectful? I have to include others as not to hurt their feelings?

Sorry, fact isa fact. Manning is best ever, no one else need apply