Mannion named starter, Katz responds like a Champ

Discussion in 'Oregon State Beavers' started by Targus, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Riley said with great assurance, "But, I think he (Mannion) won the job.’’

My question...you think, Coach, or he did? Did he "win" the job or earn it?

Katz handled the demotion well and as of now, says he will stay on with OSU and attempt to earn his position back.

“I’m alright, I’m just going about business as usual,’’ said Katz after working exclusively with the second team during Wednesday’s practice.

Katz is obviously not in agreement with Riley and offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf about the quarterback depth chart.

He was asked if he saw this coming.

“Oh, I mean, I’m surprised (at the switch), whether I saw it coming or not,’’ he said.

“I’m surprised, but it was the coach’s decision, and we’re going to go forward.’’

Does Katz look back at certain plays or moments in camp and wonder if he did something specific to warrant the demotion?

“I mean, I played one half against Sacramento State and I had a turnover (near) the red zone,’’ he said.

“Like I said (before), I felt good going into camp and during all the other practices.’’

Asked if he was given enough time to prove himself as the starter this season – he started every game last season – Katz said, “you know what, I got to play a half against Sac State. … it is what it is. It was the coach’s decision.’’

Katz said his quick hook at Wisconsin was pre-planned, “pretty much. I was going to ‘start’ and run the first series and then go from there. It was tough not being on the field (after that) except for a hand full of plays. It was tough watching the (second half) of the Sac State game.’’

Katz does not plan to throw a fit and transfer.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2011/09/oregon_state_on_wednesday_katz.html

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Good decision. It's just too bad this wasn't done before Sac State. We would be 1-1 if Mannion started game 1.

3. The Sebastian Express

The Sebastian Express Snarflepumpkin

I very much doubt Mannion starting game one would have had the offensive line not put its head in their asses or made the playcalling in the first half any better. To blame that loss on Katz is ridiculous. I think it is very clear after watching how the coaching staff handled the Wisconsin game that the loss against Sacramento State was very much on them, far more than anyone should even suggest it was on Katz.

4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Dude, I was at the game. Katz absolutely sucked.

5. Targus

Targus Suspended

Was it all on him, though?? I think some people are feeling that Riley is not only playing head-games with Katz, he's throwing him under the bus. I mean, Katz was 2/3 and just completed a first down vs Wis when General Riley pulled him and put in Minnion. Katz ended that game with a higher pass rating and Minnion was sacked three times, made some bad throws and reads and Katz never had a second chance.

...It just felt dirty...

6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The Wisconsin game was handled poorly and I think Riley would be the first to admit that. However, Mannion IS the better QB and he has earned the starting job.

7. Targus

Targus Suspended

Nice read on Minnion over on Bukers twitter. The dude is a total gym rat. He should give OSU some good years.