Marlins Baker gets first game action since Tommy John surgery

Discussion in 'National League East' started by truebluefan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"His swing on that first-pitch breaking ball was so late it produced a screamer into the seats just above the Marlins' dugout. Probably just a coincidence, but before Mets starter Chris Young threw a second pitch to John Baker, a couple of sections over a fan rushed up the aisle with a baby in tow.

"I'd hide my children, too," Baker said. "I actually left tickets for my buddy and explicitly said, 'Please put them behind the net.' Now I didn't know I was going to hit a rocket into foul territory."

Baker took a called strike and swung through Young's third offering. The at-bat was over in a snap, but it didn't detract from the significance.

Friday's 4-3 Marlins loss at Roger Dean Stadium was Baker's first game against big-league competition since May 12. He underwent Tommy John surgery late last season. Though Baker's arm is not ready for defensive action behind the plate, he can hit all he wants."

Read more: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...lins-john-baker-0305-20110304,0,3721541.story