Marlins' Don Mattingly: Derek Jeter 'always talked about' owning a team

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by truebluefan, Apr 5, 2017.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Miami Marlins manager Don Mattingly says Derek Jeter, his successor as captain of the New York Yankees, has "always talked about" owning a major league team one day.

Mattingly was asked before Miami's game at the Washington Nationals on Wednesday about a report on FoxBusiness.com that said Jeter and former Florida governor Jeb Bush were among those who could try to buy the Marlins from Jeffrey Loria.

Reached by ESPN on Wednesday, Marlins president David Samson declined comment. Samson had said in February that multiple groups were interested in purchasing the club.

The Marlins are believed to be worth more than $1 billion.

Read more http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s-talked-derek-jeter-owning-major-league-team

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

^^^hey blue...and thanx for stopping by and posting this article.

...as Yanx fans, most/all of us have contemplated the possibility of Jeter and an ownership group one day becoming the owners of the Yanx, partially because we're not crazy about the way the Stenbreinner minnows run the team...but it would not surprise me if DJ started small by taking on a lesser team like the Marlins first. This especially makes sense considering his main residence is also in Fla.

3. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Miami Marlins may be the perfect place to start. His name alone will sell out the season seats especially if he tours the stadium at every home game.

4. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Steinbrenner mentality, praise the franchise filth to the skies, pay him big bucks to "mentor: the young players, then comment on how Arod could some day be in monument park. I spit on # 13. On the other hand you've got the greatest Yankee SS ever living in the area, the one who many of the young Yankees admired, and you don't even invite the man to ST. Yeah, I'd love to see Jeter in the ownership group because Cashman would be packing his bags headed out the door.

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  5. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

^^^yeah, I don't think Jeter has forgotten Cashman's reply a few years ago when negotiating with DJ on a contract extension by telling Derek that he "should test the market" and see if he can get a better offer elsewhere.

6. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

The Miami Marlins are apparently on the open market, and a bidding war for the MLB club has featured some prominent names.

According to Charlie Gasparino and Brian Schwartz of Fox Business, former New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has "expressed interest" in purchasing the team, along with former Florida governor Jeb Bush, albeit in separate groups.

Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal confirmed Bush's involvement in the potential purchase.

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has made a few attempts already to sell the team. Mike Ozanian of Forbes reported in February there was a "handshake agreement" worth $1.6 billion. However, the Kushner family backed out after it was revealed Loria was up for ambassadorship under President Donald Trump.

Still, as a baseball executive told Fox Business, "whoever has the most cash will get the deal."

Jeter retired in 2014 after 20 years with the Yankees and a likely Hall of Fame career. Per Baseball Reference, he made over $265 million in his career from salary alone. He is being represented in negotiations by former Morgan Stanley brokerage chief Gregory Fleming.

Bush, who launched a failed presidential campaign in 2016 after serving as governor of Florida from 1999 to 2007, is teaming with Citigroup. His brother, George W. Bush, owned the Texas Rangers before becoming president.

For more news, rumors and related stories about the Miami Marlins, check out the MLB and Miami Marlins streams on Bleacher Report's app.

Jeter and Donnie BB, what a deal that would be...tho' I'd rather see him in the Yanx Offices, bring some semblance of sanity back...

7. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Interesting. Jeder understands how championship teams develop, interesting to see if he can lead an organization as well as he played in one. Michael Jordan didn't have the self discipline that Jeter has shown, even in retirement. That quality could take him far in the business world.

8. Mattingly23NY

April 19th-

talks have begun, or have been going on....

Great for Marlin's fans. I wish, as many have wished; Mr Re2pect would of become a Yanx minority owner, with full hands on authority to sculpt the Yanx as he deemed fit.... oh well, here comes the Orange, "off to never never land". Will MLb ever allow any owner to own more than one team. Not at the same time, never.

Longtime New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush are reportedly working together in an effort to purchase the Miami Marlins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

9. Mattingly23NY

Wonder what Derek means by this,-
    wonder what he's going to do about it-??

"In my mind, this is the greatest sport in the world," Jeter said on Squawk Box. "I think baseball is taking somewhat of a back seat to some of the other sports. Some of the other sports are the sexy sports."

The Miami Herald report stated Loria is in the process of "fielding offers" for the Marlins. No timetable has been set for the potential sale of the club, though.