Matt Cassel...Possible late round steal?

Discussion in 'AFC East' started by Pats37, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

I guess this kid that never got a chance at USC has some skills afterall and has been on fire in training camp so far...should be interesting to see if he makes Davey expendable....but so far he has been running the two minute drill and making all the plays neceassary early on in camp and has looked much better than Davey in camp...could be a heated battle for the 3 spot since it looks like Flutie might have the back up spot locked up just on experience alone....

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...articleid=96183

2. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Since he hasnt started a game since college, consider him on the bus for NFL Europe next season to get some experience. He would be the ultimate find if he panned out.

3. Pats37

Ya I would expect them to be sending him to Europe after this season...it would be nice if we found a legit back up in the 7th round.

4. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats37)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ya I would expect them to be sending him to Europe after this season...it would be nice if we found a legit back up in the 7th round.</div>

On a team like the Pats, having a 7th round pick make the roster is a pretty good steal. At worst, the keep him hush-hush on the practice squad to see what they have for the future.

5. Pats37

With all the press coverage he is getting around here for his play in training camp so far..I'm not sure we'll be able to keep him "hush-hush" but if he keeps it up don't be surprised to see us either keep 4 QBs...or send Davey late in camp to another team for a draft pic..or even just give him his outright release..though I kinda dounbt we'd just cut him..they have put a lot of work into him.

6. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

I wouldnt expect so much out of him soon. Since he really didnt play hardly in college he needs a lot of work on his reads and awareness. He might be able to throw the ball great but if he would be easly tricked by defenses because of his lack of playing time in college. He is a huge work in progress, and would need 2 seasons in NFLE to be able to come in and play in a regular season game if Brady went down.

7. Pats37

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wouldnt expect so much out of him soon. Since he really didnt play hardly in college he needs a lot of work on his reads and awareness. He might be able to throw the ball great but if he would be easly tricked by defenses because of his lack of playing time in college. He is a huge work in progress, and would need 2 seasons in NFLE to be able to come in and play in a regular season game if Brady went down.</div>

All I'm saying is if he keeps impressing he may make the team....but I guess I'm expecting to much...LOL

8. BRavens

BRavens nfl-*****s member

Matt Cassel might be a late round steal but either way he is gonna sit on the bench anyways. Unless he does good and makes the team. Followed by a couple good preseasons and he might be a trade bait. maybe a 4th or 5th roung pick.

9. Pats37

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BRavens)</div><div class='quotemain'>Matt Cassel might be a late round steal but either way he is gonna sit on the bench anyways. Unless he does good and makes the team. Followed by a couple good preseasons and he might be a trade bait. maybe a 4th or 5th roung pick.</div>

Exactly..I'd love to be able to spin a late 7th rounder for some sort of a conditional 4th round pick in a few years...that would be getting real value out of the draft...everyday though all I hear is how this kid continues to out perform Flutie and Davey...I'm very interested to see him in live preseason action on friday since he hasn't played in a real game since basically high school...

10. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

when do the patriots play the 1st preseason game?

11. TOMW74

TOMW74 nfl-*****s member

I think Davey isn't as good as most think. I would love to see him get traded and have matt as the number three guy. the pats are great for getting draft steals (i.e. Tom Brady in the sixth round) between getting draft steals and hungry vets, they have really taken advatage. can't wait for the season to start.

12. Pats37

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'>when do the patriots play the 1st preseason game?</div>

Friday Night @ Cincy

13. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

is it on national TV?

14. Glenso1188

Glenso1188 nfl-*****s member

I wonder if Saban would have any interest in Davey considering they were together in college. Since Saban and Belichick have a close relationship they must have atleast talked about the possibility of shipping him to miami. Its not like they have an outstanding QB with plans of going somewhere this season. Just something to keep in mind if Cassel continues to impress.

15. Pats37

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glenso1188)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wonder if Saban would have any interest in Davey considering they were together in college. Since Saban and Belichick have a close relationship they must have atleast talked about the possibility of shipping him to miami. Its not like they have an outstanding QB with plans of going somewhere this season. Just something to keep in mind if Cassel continues to impress.</div>

Ya I've been thinking about that too...We drafted him in the 4th so if we can at least get a 4th for Davey I'd be happy...He needs a Big Deep threat to just throw bombs too because he is lights out down the field and can rival most QB's in terms of pure distance...his only Chance to succeed would be in that Type of Offense...If I was Oakland I'd consider taking a look...Kerry Collins isn't getting any younger...

16. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Davey did pretty good in the NFLE. He won like a world bowl with Berlin.

17. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

Cassel looked pretty good against Cincy, he showed up Davey pretty good, USC knows how to coach dem QBs i guess.

18. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

That would be the biggest find ever if Cassel worked out because he basically didnt play in college

19. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'>That would be the biggest find ever if Cassel worked out because he basically didnt play in college</div>

gee imagine how Leinart is gonna be. :cheesey:

20. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

That would be cool if all three QBs started at the same time.