Matt Damon on Sarah Palin

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jurassic, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Not like his opinion matters to me, but he makes some valid and funny points. I found his comparison of Palin's potential presidency to a "really bad Disney movie" funny. This is just an interesting clip, lets not blow his comments out of proportion. Nobody is saying that he's an analyst, just some interesting comments.

[video=youtube;lhuoERT3tbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhuoERT3tbA[/video]

2. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Barack Obama supporters should know better than to question her experience when Obama isn't very experienced himself. It's one thing to point out how McCain's number one issue was experience, then picked a relatively unexperienced running mate, but Damon just sounds dumb to me until the very end when he questions some of her beliefs.

3. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Can someone explain the Dinosaur comment to me?

4. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

He's basically saying that she believes in creationism.

5. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

Check the slogan.

[​IMG]

Those in glass houses...

6. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Oh, I thought he meant she actually said that :NOTMARIS:

Does she seriously believe in creationism, even with mounds of evidence against it?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  7. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Matt Daaaaamon.

8. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Actually, now that you mention it, I didn't realize he said '4000 years ago'. I looked it up and apparently there was a rumor going around that she did say that, but it wasn't true.

9. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    No.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gV5jvU52RD3WBflzbmSu5l6zwOqAD92V3VQG0

Palin has not pushed creation science as governor

By DAN JOLING – Sep 3, 2008
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — As a candidate for governor, Sarah Palin called for teaching creationism alongside evolution in public schools. But after Alaska voters elected her, Palin, now Republican John McCain's presidential running mate, kept her campaign pledge to not push the idea in the schools.

As for her personal views on evolution, Palin has said, "I believe we have a creator." But she has not made clear whether her belief also allowed her to accept the theory of evolution as fact.

"I'm not going to pretend I know how all this came to be," she has been quoted as saying.

McCain said during a debate last year that he believed in evolution when it came to the origin of life.
    When asked during a televised debate in 2006 about evolution and creationism, Palin said, according to the Anchorage Daily News: "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

In a subsequent interview with the Daily News, Palin said discussion of alternative views on the origins of life should be allowed in Alaska classrooms. "I don't think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn't have to be part of the curriculum," she said.

"It's OK to let kids know that there are theories out there. They gain information just by being in a discussion."

Creationism is the belief that the Earth and its creatures were created by a deity. It's an alternative to the origin of life explanation taught in public schools under the theory of evolution, which puts forth that all living organisms descended from a common ancestral gene pool.

Palin said during her 2006 gubernatorial campaign that if she were elected, she would not push the state Board of Education to add creation-based alternatives to the state's required curriculum, or look for creationism advocates when she appointed board members.

At a GOP presidential debate in May 2007 in Simi Valley, Calif., McCain said he believed in evolution.

"But," he added, "I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also."

Palin's children attend public schools and Palin has made no push to have creationism taught in them.

Neither have Palin's socially conservative personal views on issues like abortion and gay marriage been translated into policies during her 20 months as Alaska's chief executive. It reflects a hands-off attitude toward mixing government and religion by most Alaskans.

"She has basically ignored social issues, period," said Gregg Erickson, an economist and columnist for the Alaska Budget Report.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Back on topic, and this is REALLY important!

http://www.showbizspy.com/showbiz/09142008/Lindsay-Lohan-Lashes-Out-at-Sarah-Palin

Lindsay Lohan Lashes Out at Sarah Palin

<!-- tabs --> <!-- help --> <!-- messages --> <!-- content --> September 14 2008
    [​IMG]

Lindsay Lohan isn't happy with Republican vice presidential candidate John McCain's choice of running mate, Sarah Palin.

"I really cannot bite my tongue anymore when it comes to Sarah Palin," the actress, 22, wrote on her MySpace blog Sunday.

"I couldn't be more supportive of a woman in office, but let's face it, it comes down to the person, and their beliefs, male or female," Lohan said.

"I would have liked to have remained impartial, however I am afraid that the 'lipstick on a pig' comments will overshadow the issues and the fact that I believe Barack Obama is the best choice, in this election, for president," she added.

Although Lohan said she feels "it's necessary for me to clarify that I am not against Sarah Palin as a mother or woman", the star believes that Palin -- the Incumbent Governor of Alaska -- isn't ready to run the country.

She said, "I find it quite interesting that a woman who now is running to be second in command of the United States, only 4 years ago had aspirations to be a television anchor, which is probably all she is qualified to be.

"Oh, and... Hint Hint Pali Pal - Don't pose for anymore tabloid covers, you're not a celebrity, you're running for office to represent our, your, my COUNTRY!"

Lohan -- who is rumored to be in a relationship with DJ Samantha Ronson -- also referenced Palin's views on homosexuality.

"Is it a sin to be gay?" Lohan asked. "Should it be a sin to be straight? Or to use birth control? Or to have sex before marriage? Or even to have a child out of wedlock?

"Is our country so divided that the Republicans best hope is a narrow minded, media obsessed homophobe?"

In conclusion, Lohan cited an Associated Press story reporting that Palin's church advocates a conference about prayer curing homosexuality. Wrote Lohan: "Palin's Desire to "save and convert the gays" - really??"

Ronson also chimed in.

"Vote for obama!" Ronson wrote. "Mainly because if she gets elected my green card probably won't get renewed!!!"

11. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Lindsay Lohan's criticisms are much more intelligent than Matt Damon's.

12. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Leads me to believe she didn't come up with them herself. :biglaugh:

Silly. That's like saying "Is it a sin to play Halo? Is it sin to bring a fake gun to school? Is it a sin to murder someone?" Lohan is comparing completely unrelated things.

13. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

Well actually, it is a sin to use birth control, to have sex before marriage, and have a child out of wedlock.

14. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I agree with some of that, but if Lohan is gay and wants to be with women, then birth control and child birth should not be a major issue to her.

15. Dumpy

Dumpy Yi-ha!!

Only if your religious beliefs state that, and you want to impose them on the rest of the world.

16. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Yeah, that's my thought too. Although 'sin' was a bad choice of words on Lohan's part.

17. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

Lindsay Lohan is Roman Catholic and so am I. I was going off on the assumption she was talking about the Catholic Church's position on those issues.

18. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Unless she is raped . . . in which case Palin belief is that she should not be allowed to choose to have an abortion in that.

If I understand Palin's position, even if a girl is raped by their father and got pregnant, abortion should not be allowed.

Palin may be taht hockey mom who supposedly represents small town values . . . but those values are extrememly to the right.

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    What if she holds those values, but does zero in her public duties to push those values on anyone else?

20. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Not likely, but say McCain dies in office, she takes over and has to appoint a Supreme Court Justice. How realistic would it be for her to appoint one that is against reversing Roe v. Wade?