Maui Invitational

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by STC, Nov 21, 2005.

1. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<font size="2">#12 Michigan State vs. Chaminade
    #20 Maryland vs. #9 Gonzaga
    #9 Arizona vs. Kansas
    Arkansas vs. #2 Connecticut

Michigan State already beat Division II Chaminade 89-67, behind Paul Davis' double-double, and 23 from Maurice Ager.

The Zags are up 10 right now with about 5 minutes left in the game. Pre-season All-American Adam Morrison has 22 and 9 so far. Nik Caner-Medly hasn't done a whole lot for the Terps.

</font>

2. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Good games so far, I heard Chaminade gave them some trouble in the first half, wonder if VC saw it? Hour and a half before Zona!

3. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

I'm real excited to see the young Kansas guys go up agaisnt 'Zona.

Freshmen Chalmers, Rush, Wright, and sophs Kaun, Robinson, and Giles could be real dangerous in the years to come.

4. J_Ray

I'm satisfied with West Virginia and Texas, Gansey and Pittsnogle are good. This is good game, Gibson already has 17 today for Texas, 27-26 Texas......

(EDIT at 8:17)

Zona is shooting like crap early, maybe we can get more lay-ups like we're getting. 15-4 Zona early, but we just put Prince, Williams, Dillion, Walters, and Brielhmaier.

(EDIT at 8:31)

20-10 Zona, 6-0 Kansas run their freshmen are getting their feet wet for both teams. I like Marcus Williams so far, Prince hasn't looked all that great though....

(EDIT at 8:59)

35-29 Zona, Kansas is really got tons of momentum, Shakur officially has the ugliest shot ever [​IMG] and we are shooting horrible, comeback Salim! I think our young guys are doing good, but our posts have blown so far, Radenovic is stone cold, Walters just blows, Tangara did good but isn't getting minutes, Briehlmaier shouldn't be a D-1 player, and Fox is showing his senior leadership while he's in......

(EDIT at 9:22)

Wow, our best passer is Olson throwing his board, we are going 1 on 1 and we're playing like crap, we need some passing or this game is over [​IMG]

(EDIT at 10:20)

Ugly win, if we play like this tommorrow, [​IMG] you imagine what will happen. I hope we get Arkansas, beat those Huskies!

61-49 Zona in the ugliest fashion.....

<font color="red">Please watch the double posting, J_Ray - VC</font>

5. J_Ray

Zona is shooting like crap early, maybe we can get more lay-ups like we're getting. 15-4 Zona early, but we just put Prince, Williams, Dillion, Walters, and Brielhmaier.

6. J_Ray

20-10 Zona, 6-0 Kansas run their freshmen are getting their feet wet for both teams. I like Marcus Williams so far, Prince hasn't looked all that great though....

7. J_Ray

35-29 Zona, Kansas is really got tons of momentum, Shakur officially has the ugliest shot ever [​IMG] and we are shooting horrible, comeback Salim! I think our young guys are doing good, but our posts have blown so far, Radenovic is stone cold, Walters just blows, Tangara did good but isn't getting minutes, Briehlmaier shouldn't be a D-1 player, and Fox is showing his senior leadership while he's in......

8. J_Ray

Wow, our best passer is Olson throwing his board, we are going 1 on 1 and we're playing like crap, we need some passing or this game is over [​IMG]

9. J_Ray

Ugly win, if we play like this tommorrow, [​IMG] you imagine what will happen. I hope we get Arkansas, beat those Huskies!

61-49 Zona in the ugliest fashion.....

10. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Good games so far, I heard Chaminade gave them some trouble in the first half, wonder if VC saw it? Hour and a half before Zona!</div>

Yeah, I was out when it was on, but I taped it and watched it during the Zaga/Terps game. Michigan State came out kind of rusty but towards the end of the first half they caught on fire.

Chaminade was never really in the lead, but we disappointingly kept them within three or four points of the lead for the majority of the first half. However, we mostly played our second string (four freshmen) in that time span, so that's understandable. Once Shannon Brown and Maurice Ager began to heat up, it was all downhill for Chaminade.

Granted Chaminade is a Division II team, I was extremely impressed with what I saw out of Shannon Brown. He started off the game with poor shooting, but he warmed up really fast. He had a few rebounds where he skied over Chaminade's big men that were jaw dropping. He wound up with 18 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 steals on 50% shooting, all the while never turning the ball over. He could have easily had 20-22 points, but they counted three or four three-pointers that he made as two point baskets, even calling one of them back. The only problem I had with Brown was his shot selection. He's great at shooting off the dribble, but he had a wideopen path to the basket several times and opted for the outside jumper instead. However, his shot selection improved in the second half; Izzo must have really set him straight at half-time.

I also liked what I saw out of freshman Marquise Gray. I expect him to start for us at Power Forward soon. He's a lot bigger than I had thought, and he gives us the toughness and tenacity that Paul Davis still hasn't delivered. He reminds me a lot of the old Flintstones.

From what I saw from this team in the second half, I think Gonzaga will have a really hard time beating us tomorrow.

11. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">
    From what I saw from this team in the second half, I think Gonzaga will have a really hard time beating us tomorrow.</div>

Should be a good game, my friend. I figured Michigan State would get back into stride... but you can never count the 'Zags out.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I can't wait for JP Batista and Paul Davis going at it in the post. Great match ups across the roster with these two teams. I think if MSU can slow down Ravio, they can control this game and come out on top.

13. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Kansas vs. Arkansas just started and it's a close game so far. Ronnie Brewer started the game by knocking down a three and he looks pretty good right now. Brewer is going to be a very good player and his mixture of athleticism and nice shot will probably get him drafted high by some NBA team.

14. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Arkansas beats Kansas in a GREAT game from what I've heard only to be the start of good ones tonight. UConn v. Arizona is going to be a good one but the big story will be Gonzaga against MSU, most think will be a Final Four preview. Should be a good one.

15. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

Michigan State leads Gonzaga 40-37 at the half

Spartans have looked much better on the defensive end since the end of the first half against Chaminade. They're contesting shots and hitting the glass better (though there's still room for improvement on the boards). Shannon Brown is putting on a show, with 16 in the first half, including a thunderous dunk, and Drew Neitzel hit a couple shots to give the Spartans a lift. Paul Davis (8 pts/6 reb) is looking pretty good offensively against J.P Batista (6/5), but he's just not shooting real well. Gonzaga's defense overall isn't looking real good. They're struggling to defend MSU's halfcourt sets. Adam Morrison is keeping it close for the Zags, with 15 in the first half (god that little moustache thing is annoying the hell out of me [​IMG] ) Should be a good second half, I was really looking forward to this game (2 of our preseason top 5 head to head) and so far it has been very entertaining.

16. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Shannon Brown is unstoppable! They just need to give him the ball every posession. He's doing it all out there. If you missed him in the first half, I'm sure you'll catch a few of his plays on Sportscenter's Top 10. [​IMG]

If you're not watching this game, you're missing out big time, because both of these teams are playing up to their potentional. I really like what I see out of Adam Morrison, but outside of him and Raivio, Gonzaga is really stuggling to get much of anything going on offense, mainly because of the job Davis is doing on Batista defensively.

I am a little concerned from what I saw from the Spartans early on though. Their shot selection was horrible, and Izzo insists on playing freshmen like Goran Suton and Travis Walton, but like the Chaminade game, things started to shape up towards the end of the first half for them. They really looked like the best team in the nation there for moments.

17. J_Ray

Morrison is doing good from what I've seen, I wish I could watch the whole game, just woke up with 3 minutes left [​IMG]

18. Shard

Shard Hi2u

ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS FOUL!!!! Damn Maurice Ager... here comes OT.

19. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

What an off balanced three by Ager as time expired!

Is he amazing or what!

20. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting UKOwnstheSEC:</div><div class="quote_post">What an off balanced three by Ager as time expired!

Is he amazing or what!</div>

God,Ager had to make it, cmon Zaga make the west proud!