Maximizing Turner's unique offensive skill set

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by JDC, Jul 24, 2016.

1. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

After Blaz06Draft's great defensive breakdowns of Evan Turner, I thought I'd share my idea on how Portland could best use his offensive skills.

My initial reaction to the signing was that it was an awkward fit, but with Crabbe coming back it makes more sense and there's enough shooters now that if Stotts' is smart about how he uses him, Turner can bring a new and effective dimension to this team offensively.

With that said, the stats show that Turner is capable in the pnr, but was most effective when used as an isolation / post-up player. What would be a great way to take advantage of those skills while making use of his playmaking outside of the pnr (where he has a turnover tendency)?

Use him as a screen setter with Dame and CJ.

The blazers have all 3 things needed to make this play effective :
    1. A 4 out 1 in alignment
    2. An iso / post-up 3 capable of making a play
    3. Dynamic pnr players.
    What makes this action so deadly is that no matter how a team decides to defend it, it puts both Turner and Dame/ CJ in a good position to score or make a play.
    • Trap: Turner is freed up for a mid range J and if the defense rotates, he's capable of hitting the big in the dunker spot. If they opt to go into full rotation (weakside wing crashes on the big), he's smart enough to make that read and hit the open weakside shooter.
    • Switch: Turner now has a matchup advantage in the mid-post where he's shown to be very effective.
    • Hedge and recover: Dame and CJ are free to attack and make a play.
    For those have trouble visualizing the alignment:
    https://www.playartpro.com/basketball/play/5336/0e9fc0a/1-3-pnr#.V5WFGsu_2pM.gmail

Simple action, but I think it'd be a nice low risk pet play for Stotts' to have in his back pocket when a bucket is needed.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

All throughout his career, Dame has been doubled off the pick and roll; the reason, as you imply, is that a switch moving a larger forward onto Lillard while the SF picking for Dame rolls with the PG on him has no consequences if our SF can't/won't post up... which means eventually you can just double the guard and forget the useless pick man. Aminu, Harkless, Batum... none of them have effective post games. None of them are particularly good rolling to the rim, either. Setting a screen for Dame was poison once defenses figured out none of our SFs are a threat, that the entire offensive maneuver was a bluff.

Turner changes that. I'm excited to see the offense we've been running since 2012 actually running as planned!

BBert, riverman, Hobbesarable and 5 others like this.