McMillan explains why he traded Telfair

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by CB4allstar, Aug 6, 2006.

1. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/ar...defense/?page=1<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>`We had to make a decision," said McMillan. ``In our minds, Sebastian was the future, but did the combination of Sebastian and Zach Randolph work? And do the players we have fit the style of play that Sebastian brings to the floor? They don't."With all the teams that hope to run these days, the Trail Blazers are looking to go in the other direction. Because of Randolph, a monster in the low post, they have opted to slow it down and become more of a halfcourt team. (In truth, most teams that say they want to run end up being halfcourt teams, for a variety of reasons, from lack of rebounding to lack of commitment to the running game.)``Sebastian is a Ferrari and Zach is an 18-wheeler," McMillan said. ``And that Ferrari is running while the 18-wheeler is saying, `Hold up.' Even though they were two young guys and the core of our group, it really wasn't working. We had to make a decision: build around Sebastian or build around Zach. And the decision was to build around Zach."</div>Interesting. I guess the Blazers really do want to build around Randolph.

2. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

What a bad move by the Blazers. Do they REALLY want to build around Randolph? The guy is hardly a "beast" in the low-post, he has had microfracture knee surgery already, and is a bad character guy due to his numerous violations of the law.

3. bballinyao06

bballinyao06 BBW Elite Member

Wow, I would have chosen Telfair over Randolph but hey, that's just me. I think the Blazers made a really bad decision because Randolph is not that good of a player when compared to Telfair's potential but in the end, it will be better for Telfair. He will definitely do a lot better in Boston than if he had stayed in Portland.

4. CB4allstar

Guys, Randolph has been averaging around the 20 ppg for the past 3 years. So he is obviously a good player. And I can see why they want to build around him right now.

5. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

i read this. pretty comforting for a celtics fan, that mcmillan called sebastian "the future". i hope he pans out.

6. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

This is a bullsh** excuse if i've ever heard one. Jarrett Jack's the better player anyway. :beerchug:

7. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Aug 7 2006, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Guys, Randolph has been averaging around the 20 ppg for the past 3 years. So he is obviously a good player. And I can see why they want to build around him right now.</div>Yeah, but I just don't see him as being the type of guy who is the cornerstone of the franchise. Plus, the Blazers had said that they want to get rid of the JailBlazers cloud hanging over the franchise, and Randolph doesn't quite do that.I think they're just waiting until Aldridge pans out, then they'll move Randolph.

8. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Aug 7 2006, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Guys, Randolph has been averaging around the 20 ppg for the past 3 years. So he is obviously a good player. And I can see why they want to build around him right now.</div>Your right, If I were a Blazer fan, I'd be happy to build around a criminal crack head. :happy0144: He's a fat ass, and he doesn't have the work ethic to suceed and live up to the potential he has if he just put in the time..

9. TheAnalyst

TheAnalyst BBW Elite Member

Randolph is a real good player. He is only 24 or 25. He still has a few years to hit his prime and be consider a top big man in the NBA. SI think that it is the right shoice to build around him.

10. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

This is the part that confused me the most about this: Didn't both Randolph and Miles publicly announce their desire to get out of Portland at the end of the 05-06 season?

And isn't it funny they took Telfair, then passed up on Chris Paul last year, to end up with Jarrett Jack (who I love) and Dan Dickau. That's sad. And it's even worse when they are trying to clean up their organization and build with players that want to be there.. then build around a big man who has problems with the law? LOL wow.

11. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCB @ Aug 7 2006, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This is a bullsh** excuse if i've ever heard one. Jarrett Jack's the better player anyway. :beerchug:</div>a bullsh** excuse? how? If they didn't think highly of Telfair, then why would they just make something up like that? so they don't hurt his feelings? come on. It was obvious that Telfair is a good p[layer, just a bad fit. Jarrett Jack better than Telfair? :HAHAHA:

12. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Aug 7 2006, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>then build around a big man who has problems with the law? LOL wow.</div>A PLAYER that is a criminal, and has no desire at all to be in Portland - man, I bet they'll get alot out of him..

13. BrewCityBuck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nba dogmatist @ Aug 8 2006, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>a bullsh** excuse? how? If they didn't think highly of Telfair, then why would they just make something up like that? so they don't hurt his feelings? come on. It was obvious that Telfair is a good p[layer, just a bad fit. Jarrett Jack better than Telfair? :HAHAHA:</div> There was obviously something going on. "Our PG's fast and our PF is slow" is the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life. You don't spend your 13th pick on a PG, tout him as your next franchise PG and dump him on the side of the road knowing that Telfair is fast and Randolph is slow in the first place...not to mention pick a PG with your first round pick in the next draft. Jarrett Jack was splitting time last year with Telfair and played admirably...The Blazers seem set with Jack as the starter next season, I just don't care for Telfair at all.

14. Ender

Ender BBW Member

Randolph is a beast in the post. Of all the young players he probably has the best low post game in the NBA. Better than Howard or Bosh or . . . .I'm not saying he is a better overall player, but he has great foot work and has outstanding moves down there.His defense is horrible, so was Telfair's. . . Right now Randolph is the better player and maybe well be for a while.I do think the Blazers can still run a little. Jack, Dixon, Roy, Alderidge, Miles (if he remains on the team), etc can all run. But I do think they'll focus their offense an inside outside game with Randolph as the inside and Webster, Roy, etc as the outside.

15. Sham

Sham BBW Member

Looking at Telfair's numbers, they're so low, so I think trading him was a good idea. Either way, the Blazers have Juan Dixon who can play the PG just fine, but instead he needs to put aside the SG game and take up the PG, and start running the offense.

16. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigMo763 @ Aug 7 2006, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, but I just don't see him as being the type of guy who is the cornerstone of the franchise. Plus, the Blazers had said that they want to get rid of the JailBlazers cloud hanging over the franchise, and Randolph doesn't quite do that.I think they're just waiting until Aldridge pans out, then they'll move Randolph.</div>I dont know. I dont think Randolph is that bad of a guy. And he is a 20 ppg guy, and their only really good scorer currently besides Miles, and he is still very young. I dont see why they wouldnt want to base their team around him for a couple of years, until they can get someone better.

17. BrewCityBuck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCB @ Aug 8 2006, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>There was obviously something going on. "Our PG's fast and our PF is slow" is the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life. You don't spend your 13th pick on a PG, tout him as your next franchise PG and dump him on the side of the road knowing that Telfair is fast and Randolph is slow in the first place...not to mention pick a PG with your first round pick in the next draft. Jarrett Jack was splitting time last year with Telfair and played admirably...The Blazers seem set with Jack as the starter next season, I just don't care for Telfair at all.</div> Nobody has anything to say?

18. Road Blocker

Road Blocker One and Done

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCB @ Aug 12 2006, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nobody has anything to say?</div>Well, I think the Blazers had hope that the combination would work, it didn't. It sucks but Oh Well. Jarrett isn't the better player overall, but he is the better player for the Blazers.