Melo vs Collins, Nurk vs Whiteside

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, May 29, 2020.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Assuming of course Portland gets invited back for the rest of the season, who starts? Remember that Nurk will probably be back without a minute restriction. Same with Collins. This will essentially be like a new mini season. Any physical restrictions either would’ve had in March should be long gone by August.

Personally, I start Nurk and Melo. Zach can do some real damage with Whiteside on that second unit. Nurk also covers for Melo better than Whiteside imo, so it’s better to have Whiteside with the second unit. And in a playoff setting where it becomes more possession based, you will want as many scorers as you can get, so starting Melo makes sense without Hood healthy. Then again if Portland makes the playoffs, they’ll be playing the lakers, who start AD at PF, and Zach is probably our best bet against him. Interesting things to consider for Stotts.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    BBert, tykendo, Orion Bailey and 2 others like this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Nurk and Melo start in my view...Nurk can pass really well out of the high post and Melo likes to go for rebounds and play at the rim or the elbow

tykendo likes this.
  3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Nurk is going to be so rusty, I just don't see how you start him over Whiteside. I like that he gives us depth at this point but I would not count on many minutes from him unless somehow we advance.

Agree that the Lakers are not a good matchup for Melo, and I also agree we need outside shooting from the 4 spot so regardless of the poor matchup I would start Melo and get Zach in there as soon as possible, even though he will be rusty as well.

AldoTrapani likes this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

This is essentially a new season, everyone will be “rusty.” Would you bench Dame if he missed a year? That’s Nurks spot imo.

AldoTrapani and tykendo like this.
  5. Pinwheel1

There is where I disagree...it is not a new season. Whiteside had a good season and deserves to start the rest of the way. But hey if Nurk clearly outplays him in practice then start him. I just don't think he will.

HailBlazers likes this.
  6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

nurk was rusty when he came from Denver and he beasted anyway

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Nurk has way more of a track record in Portland than Whiteside and is a much better player. What Whiteside (or any player) did in March isn’t going to just carry over. It is a new season. They will have had nearly five months between games. There’s no momentum for any player.

tykendo and BonesJones like this.
  8. Pinwheel1

Nurk has no track record playing with 2 of the starters. He has never played with Ariza or Melo. True both will be rusty since neither Whiteside or Nurk has played a game since March, but Nurk was March of 2019. That is an extra year of rust while coming off a major injury.

Either way, I doubt it makes much of a difference who starts as they both will play about the same.

e_blazer likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Neither Whiteside or Melo will be under contract in 30 days and it looks like whatever season happens won't be happening soon. The 'who-starts-and-who-supports' dilemma may not be a thing

jlprk and Hoopguru like this.
  10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    There's no way that they don't start Melo and Whiteside. It would be a massive insult to slide the other two into the starting lineup. That's a no no.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

wonderful contribution.

Edit: wait you think they won’t be on the roster?? Surely you’re not serious if so.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Doesn't that depend on whether their contracts are tied to a specific date or to time after a season has ended? I can't imagine that the league would let people suddenly become free agents in the middle of the playoffs.

Stevenson and riverman like this.
  13. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

the season hasn't resumed and you're already snarky about replies. Is that necessary?

let me "adjust" my remark because there are some things I don't know...and neither do you by the way

IIRC, under the CBA, any adjustment to the NBA calendar has to be approved by the owners and the Player's Union. Considering the pool of money at stake I'd assume the Union won't have a big problem with an abbreviated close to the season, although that may depend on the format the league office comes up with

but I'm also assuming the Union won't be nearly so agreeable about modifying the rules of free agency....the players have worked too hard to set those rules. Use Whiteside as an example. He won't have a contract after June 30. Portland can't force him into accepting a short term contract for a season continuation, especially if he's eligible for a longer contract at the same time. To eliminate that 2nd factor, the union would have to agree to a long-term extension of not only the season, but also the moratorium starting on July 1. I can see plenty of objections to that 2nd part, maybe even some by owners. And if Portland had no intention on re-signing Whiteside long term, there's definitely the potential for disagreement. Why would Whiteside jeopardize signing a long term deal by risking injury on a short-term deal?

And just how are they going to pay all the UFA's suspended in limbo? Pro-rated salaries per game based upon their current salaries? I can see some free agents OK with that. But others won't be, for instance, the players who were expecting big bumps in their salaries in July

how about this:

Ben Simmons $8,113,930 $29,250,000
    Jaylen Brown $6,534,829 $22,991,071
    Buddy Hield $4,861,208 $24,431,818
    Jamal Murray $4,444,746 $29,250,000
    Domantas Sabonis $3,529,555 $17,187,500
    Taurean Waller-Prince $3,481,986 $13,942,308
    Caris LeVert $2,625,718 $16,203,704
    Pascal Siakam $2,351,839 $29,000,000

those are some of the players who have already inked big rookie extensions. Their current salaries and their salaries starting July 1. Which level will they be playing for? Will Pascal Siakam be making $27,000 a game or $355,000 a game?

Gordon Hayward
    DeMar DeRozan
    Otto Porter
    Anthony Davis
    Andre Drummond
    Tim Hardaway
    Evan Fournier
    Tony Snell
    Jerami Grant

those are the players with PO's for 'next' season. They could be UFA if they want to be and join a pool of UFA's looking for new, long-term deals. Same situation as Whiteside in that they could be risking a long term deal by getting injured in this theoretical season continuation

which brings up an interesting question I don't have the answer for: what is the controlling term of an NBA contract. Is it the actual calendar? As in July 1-June 30? The players, so far, have been paid for an abbreviated season so theoretically they could still have an obligation to complete the season. But does that obligation end on June 30?

all those notions contributed to my suggestion that Whiteside and Melo may not be Blazers anymore whenever this season continuation begins. I've been wondering quite a bit about the assumption that Adam Silver can just propose the format and that's the way it will be. But I think that he's going to have to clear several components with the Player's Union and we've seen in the past that's not a piece of cake

that's one of the things I was referring to. My guess is the June 30 date is pivotal on determining contract status. Maybe the CBA has some emergency provisions that cover this, but I'm assuming some of those require approval by the player's union

GrandpaBlaze likes this.
  14. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Can't wait to see this team as it is supposed to be, with everyone healthy. I still think they can be a monster. Nurk, Whiteside, Melo, Zack, Dame, CJ - are you kidding me? Bring. It. On!

rotary111 and HailBlazers like this.
  15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

jfc what a complete waste of time this post is lol! Both Melo and whiteside will be on the roster when (not if) the season resumes, period

RR7 and BonesJones like this.
  16. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Agree to disagree. If contracts are date specific, Wiz makes good points about who plays.

The league cannot unilaterally change/extend contracts. Hence the point about having to involve the Players Union.

I had not considered those points but having a brother-in-law who is a lawyer, those are the kind of things he would say (if he were a basketball fan).

Gramps...

17. Pinwheel1

Granted that technically the playoffs might not occur at all, and yes there is certainly a chance that some players will not want to play even if it does resume. But you would have to be a conspiracy nut to believe that any contracts might actually expire during the restart allowing players to become free agents. If they want to play, they will be playing for the team they were under contract with when the season "paused".

I think we are pretty safe in this thread to discuss lineups if the season re-starts.

Scalma likes this.
  18. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Either way, it's a Win-Win situation for the Blazers, and a Sad-Sad situation for the competition. Go Blazers!!

Hoopguru likes this.
  19. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I believe free agent signing can start Jul 1 and they are thinking of moving the draft after FAS ion the future too.
    Maybe FA players will be playing on a amortized per game basis?

20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The Uniform Players Contract includes non-date specific “Playoff games scheduled by the League subsequent to any Regular Season”. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4303429106/CBA -- Uniform Player Contract.pdf

But, yeah, I think we can assume that the agents are involved in the discussions.