Miami Heat vs. Dallas Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by BALLAHOLLIC, Jun 3, 2006.

1. BALLAHOLLIC

BALLAHOLLIC Member

Discuss it here :dribble:

2. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

I know you all think it's going to be a great series, but I say Mavs in 5. They can cause mismatches and give Wade a lot of trouble. They are also able to play a fast paced game to tire out Shaq. In my opinion they have already beaten two teams that are better or just as good as the Heat so I don't think they'll have much trouble here. The Heat will have to be perfect to have any chance.Match-up of the series: Pat Riley and Avery Johnson

3. melo

melo Magic

Dallas in 7.Shaq will not let this series be a one sided affair, expect shaq to average big numbers. The X factor will be dirk, i see him making a mockery out of the heat and winning finals mvp.

4. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

Very cool series as both teams have never made it the Finals. New blood and there will be a first ever championship brought to a city and there fans. I can't wait for this, being a fan for 7 years, yes not long but man this was great to finally see it culminate to a Finals. We had so many close calls over the years and we finally made it over the hump. Did anyone notice Dirk during the trophy ceremony stayed in the background? Humble move on his part even though he should be front and center for his performance. Just to note about the series, there's a key in homecourt as it will the 2-3-2 format and only Detroit I believe has won all 3 games at home. I'm betting there's other teams but it's rare for the away team to be able to take all 3.

5. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

Oh, I forgot the home court is 2-3-2. In that case, I say Mavs in 6. I don't see them winning 2 out of 3 straight games in Miami.

6. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Heat in 7. Who is gonna guard Shaq? Diop? Please. Shaq will totally dominate. And we have seen that no one can stop Dwade. He will average 28-30 points that series. Then look at the rest of the offensive talent in Payton, Walker, Posey, Haslem and Williams, etc..Its gonna be a great matchup though. Im very pleased that we dont have to see the boring defensive Spurs-Pistons again. Thank the lord. This is gonna be fun to watch, and I bet the ratings will be a lot higher than last years'.

7. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Heat in 7. Who is gonna guard Shaq? Diop? Please. Shaq will totally dominate.</div> Um hello? Dampier is still on the Mavericks and has done a great job on Shaq the past years ever since Damp became a Mav, and Shaq became a Heat. So I'm confident in being able to contain Shaq. Same goes for Wade, because of the perimeter defenders we can throw at him. Change it up with Griff, Howard, Harris, Daniels, even Armstrong. The main thing though is about guarding their role players more then guarding the big 2. Shaq and Wade will get there's but it's about stopping Walker, Jwill, Haslem and Payton.

8. LAZY

LAZY BBW Elite Member

Were in this...finallyDampier will guard Shaq for most of the time. I just hope hes not rusty and wont get in early foul trouble. Not having Benga is bigger than most people think. Guarding eveyone on this Miami team will be a priority. Wade and Shaq yes, but Rok mentioned, the other players that complete the Heat. They must not be overlooked.5 more days and it all starts

9. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

I think this will be an interesting series, and I'll be rooting for Miami. However, I think this will be a tough, long series for both teams. I expect Dirk to have a huge series, and the same goes for Shaq.I really don't know who to pick, but I'm rooting for the Heat.

10. ChuckTheD

ChuckTheD BBW Elite Member

Heat in 6Shaq averages 34/14Wade averages 26 on 53% shootingDirk has a mediocre series

11. Heatfan32

Heatfan32 BBW Elite Member

If it were to come down to individual matchups I would give Dallas the edge slightly just because Howard>Antoine. However I wouldn't call Antoine out just yet, when hes on his game hes can put up those well needed 20 points for us. I'm not buying that Dampier will shutdown Shaq not even contain him. If Shaq can take down the DPOY then I see no trouble in Dampier. Shaq elevates his game in the playoffs and your going to see that in this series.Dirk can be so dangerous though, if Udonis is guarding him were in for trouble. He'll be looking for the outside shot which will clear the lane up for penetrating. He did well against us both games during the regular season as well.We need all our role players to step it up this series also, they are always the key to us winning.They've done fairly well this post-season and I hope they continue it in the finals.These two teams haven't faced each other much so it's hard to make a good prediction but if I were to make one, Miami in 7.

12. LightsOut

LightsOut BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heatfan32 @ Jun 4 2006, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If it were to come down to individual matchups I would give Dallas the edge slightly just because Howard>Antoine. However I wouldn't call Antoine out just yet, when hes on his game hes can put up those well needed 20 points for us. I'm not buying that Dampier will shutdown Shaq not even contain him. If Shaq can take down the DPOY then I see no trouble in Dampier. Shaq elevates his game in the playoffs and your going to see that in this series.Dirk can be so dangerous though, if Udonis is guarding him were in for trouble. He'll be looking for the outside shot which will clear the lane up for penetrating. He did well against us both games during the regular season as well.We need all our role players to step it up this series also, they are always the key to us winning.They've done fairly well this post-season and I hope they continue it in the finals.These two teams haven't faced each other much so it's hard to make a good prediction but if I were to make one, Miami in 7.</div>Well said. I agree with everything. Shaq is going to play dominate basketball against whoever Dallas throws at him. He may not have shown it during the regular season, but like you mentioned, Shaq really ups his game during the playoffs, and history shows, especially in the finals. Also, that matchup with Nowtzki and Haslem is going to be a complete nightmare, we're gonna have to do something about that maybe give him a little of Walker, or maybe even some "Bruce Bowen" in Anderson, but he is really going to be the X factor of this series. Wade is also going to have to play like a monster, and probably play the best series of his career, for us to have a chance. I really don't like our odds, but I have to stick with my team so I will also go Heat in 7. Hey, I've been right on, in my predictions of our last two series, so why not this one.

13. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If Shaq can take down the DPOY then I see no trouble in Dampier.</div> The difference is Ben Wallace doesn't have the weight to body Shaq, while Dampier does, so while I don't think he will shut down Shaq, I'm betting he will slow him down better then Ben did just because he can body him.

14. Heatfan32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ Jun 4 2006, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The difference is Ben Wallace doesn't have the weight to body Shaq, while Dampier does, so while I don't think he will shut down Shaq, I'm betting he will slow him down better then Ben did just because he can body him.</div>Shaq played against Jason Collins who is only 10 pounds lighter then Dampier and still averaged 18. That was only in the second round when Wade was doing most of the scoring, in the finals Shaq is going to have to turn it up more and will still get his points no matter who is blocking him. Not Yao, not Ben, not Dampier can guard Shaq at this moment.BTW, why do you always have gaps in your posts?

15. Waqas

Waqas Member

[quote name='CB4AllStar' post='83225' date='Jun 4 2006, 12:01 AM']Heat in 7. Who is gonna guard Shaq? Diop? Please. Shaq will totally dominate. And we have seen that no one can stop Dwade. He will average 28-30 points that series. Then look at the rest of the offensive talent in Payton, Walker, Posey, Haslem and Williams, etc..Its gonna be a great matchup though. Im very pleased that we dont have to see the boring defensive Spurs-Pistons again. Thank the lord. This is gonna be fun to watch, and I bet the ratings will be a lot higher than last years'.[/quote]Yes, Diop will guard Shaq. He plays clutch defense (remember Diop's game-winning block on 'Melo, in Duncan in the postseason and OT) and plays overall great defense. Uh, yes, we HAVE seen somebody who can guard Dwyane Wade. JOSH HOWARD. [quote name='Lakaboy42' post='83305' date='Jun 4 2006, 01:43 AM']Heat in 6Shaq averages 34/14Wade averages 26 on 53% shootingDirk has a mediocre series[/quote]Uh, how will Dirk have an average series? Those Mavs-haters back in the second-round said the only person who could guard Dirk was somebody such as Shawn Marion. Around 6 foot 7 and athletic. I mean, James Posey is really the only guy who can do this?? And he can't, even.ALSO, just saying Shaq will score 34 a game and then grab 14 boards and then go off and say Dirk will have a "mediocre" series sounds out of my mind :happy0144: .[quote name='Heatfan32' post='83307' date='Jun 4 2006, 01:45 AM']If it were to come down to individual matchups I would give Dallas the edge slightly just because Howard>Antoine. However I wouldn't call Antoine out just yet, when hes on his game hes can put up those well needed 20 points for us. I'm not buying that Dampier will shutdown Shaq not even contain him. If Shaq can take down the DPOY then I see no trouble in Dampier. Shaq elevates his game in the playoffs and your going to see that in this series.Dirk can be so dangerous though, if Udonis is guarding him were in for trouble. He'll be looking for the outside shot which will clear the lane up for penetrating. He did well against us both games during the regular season as well.We need all our role players to step it up this series also, they are always the key to us winning.They've done fairly well this post-season and I hope they continue it in the finals.These two teams haven't faced each other much so it's hard to make a good prediction but if I were to make one, Miami in 7.[/quote]And what information can you give to me to say Miami will win in 7? Especially on the road in AmericanAirlines Center??[quote name='LightsOut' post='83311' date='Jun 4 2006, 01:58 AM']Well said. I agree with everything. Shaq is going to play dominate basketball against whoever Dallas throws at him. He may not have shown it during the regular season, but like you mentioned, Shaq really ups his game during the playoffs, and history shows, especially in the finals. Also, that matchup with Nowtzki and Haslem is going to be a complete nightmare, we're gonna have to do something about that maybe give him a little of Walker, or maybe even some "Bruce Bowen" in Anderson, but he is really going to be the X factor of this series. Wade is also going to have to play like a monster, and probably play the best series of his career, for us to have a chance. I really don't like our odds, but I have to stick with my team so I will also go Heat in 7. Hey, I've been right on, in my predictions of our last two series, so why not this one.[/quote]"I really don't like our odds... Heat in 7." A win on the road for Miami? Well, man, don't make predicitions when you don't know $hit.<span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">Alrite, now let me tell you why Dallas will win in 4-6 games...</span>Home Record in the Postseason: 6-2Road Record in the Postseason: 6-3Dirk Nowitzki has never failed in the postseason. In the first round he averaged over 30 a game! He had a gamesaver with 16 seconds left!! Against San Antonio he had some clutch free throws in 2 straight games and in Game 7 on the ROAD, after Ginobli scored a THREE, he goes in for an and-one play. Even in Phoenix, he had 11 in Game 4, then 50 in Game 5! His defense in Game 6 was also SUPERB (for the stats-addicts, 3 blocks and 3 steals).Josh Howard can EASILY guard Dwyane Wade and throw him fits, regardless or not if Wade recovers from that flu of his. Don't believe me??? Let's see Wade's history vs. Dallas (Howard guarding him), as well as Dirk's top performances against the Shaq/Wade duo...Wade on Howard... :HAHAHA: 11/11/2004: Wade goes 6-18 from the field, 20 points. However, nice 8 rebounds and 5 assists, but 3 turnovers. 2/01/2005: Dwyane actually has a nice night, 29 points on 12-24 shooting, but if I can remember that entertaining game correctly, didn't play too well down the stretch in the 4th. Dallas only won by 5.... had 8 assists to 3 turnovers, as well.11/25/2005: Wade was 7-19 from the field for 23 points, but did a nice job at the charity stripe by going 9-10. Had a nice 4 assists and 5 steals, but 5 turnovers and 4 fouls to eliminate it. Miami lost by 13. <span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">2/09/2003: (FOR THE MAVS HATERS / HEAT LOVERS)</span> Alrite, Wade was 6-13 for the 16 points and all, but Shaq is 9-12 from the field and grabs 8 rebounds and scores 23 points in just 27 minutes!! Dallas can definitely handle dominant Shaq. Dallas also won by... uh.h...... 36!!!Dirk the Firefighter vs. the Heat:02/01/2005: Dirk is 8-15 in 39 minutes for 19 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, and a steal.11/25/2005: Dirk goes 7-16 from the field for 23 points and 8 rebounds, but is 4-5 from beyond the ark!!02/09/2005: Dirk only played 31 minutes due to the blowout factor (Dallas won by 30+), but in the time he played, he was 11-16, finishing with 27 points and 4 rebounds.11/11/2004: The German Bomber drops his own jersey number on Miami!! 41 points on 12-24 shooting, 4-7 from beyond the ark, and perfect on all 13 free throws!! Dirk also had 10 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 blocks.

16. Heatfan32

So your going to base an entire series on 2 games played in the regular season? I already stated in the previous post why they will win but incase you missed it.-Shaq will dominate whoever he goes through-Wade will have huge games, tell me when hasn't he throughout the entire playoffs?Even against a good perimeter defensive team in the Bulls.-Our role players will continue doing it for us, as they have throughout the entire playoffs.-Yes Dirk will most likely have his 30 points per game but the question is will his teamates help him win the game.Once again, no one has yet to stop Shaq in the finals besides the Pistons but we already did with them.

17. Marvinmartian

Marvinmartian BBW Elite Member

I said the Mavs in 6 against the Suns, with the Suns winning a game in Dallas, and one at home...and it turned out that way.I'm saying the exact same thing here.Mavs in 6...and if it goes 7 it's even more in the Mavs favor.Look, only one team has showed they can win in Dallas consitently, and that team Dallas has already knocked out, which was SA. The Heat aren't a team that scares the Mavs, and I don't think they can walk in and win a game 6, or 7 in Dallas, much like I don't expect the Mavs to win 3 strait, maybe not even 2, in Miami.Yes Shaq and Wade will be tough matchups.But the Mavs can throw Diop/Damp at Shaq, and give him some problems...I'm sure he still gets his production though, he'll just have to work for it...and that'll wear him down.Wade will have a tougher time than most people think, because of the amount of players, and different type of players, the Mavs can throw at him. Josh, Daniels, Griff, Harris, Terry, DA...all different players that can give him some trouble too.The big difference is that noone on the Heat can guard Dirk, absolutely noone, and I'm not sure they got a guy that can guard either Howard, and maybe not Terry either, unless you still count Gary Payton as a great defender still.I think the Mavs have the more talented and deeper team, making them better overall, while the Heat do have 2 superstars compared to 1 for Dallas.I do think it'll be an interesting series, but I think this IS the Mavs year, and something special is going on.

18. ChuckTheD

ChuckTheD BBW Elite Member

No one can stop Dwyane from getting his at this point. ESPECIALLY an average defense like the Mavs have. A mixture of Posey and nerves will get Dirk to have some very bad games, and some very good games, all in all evening out. And Shaq is Shaq in the finals, he should dominate.I'm hoping Dallas will prove me wrong.

19. LABaller

LABaller BBW Member

Heat in game 7. Ben Wallace couldn't contain Shaq (except for that lucky block), so I don't expect anyone else to contain Shaq. I expect to see D. Wayde play the best games he's ever played in his life.

20. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lakaboy42 @ Jun 4 2006, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>ESPECIALLY an average defense like the Mavs have.</div>Dallas' defense isn't "average," it's seventh. It's about on par with New Jersey's. Keep in mind, Dallas' offense is far superior to NJ's.