Michael Finley Agrees To Sign With Spurs

Discussion in 'San Antonio Spurs' started by mike18946, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

If you can't beat em, join em

The findog has landed in San Antonio

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The team that won the Michael Finley Sweepstakes is the same team that just won an NBA championship.

Finley told ESPN.com on Wednesday that he has chosen to sign with the San Antonio Spurs, spurning a richer offer from the Miami Heat and the lure of an emotional return to the Phoenix Suns to reunite with close friend Steve Nash.

The complete structure of the deal with San Antonio hasn't been finalized, including the length of the contract, but Finley will receive a starting salary of roughly $2.5 million this season.

"To be a part of a championship team, I'm excited," Finley said. "This is the closest I've ever been to a championship. I'm looking forward to the challenge of helping this team repeat."

Asked why he picked the Spurs, Finley said: "In a nutshell, they're already a championship team but they have room for improvement. And I feel my game can help them in the areas where they need improvement
    </div>

Link

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Unbelievable, proof once again, the Spurs have the best organization in the NBA. They still have to earn the title by winning next season, but they landed two solid veterans the last two days. Both willing to come for cheaper just to contribute to winning a title. Hats off to the Spurs.

3. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

hats of indeed

wester conference finals seem to be looking more and more
    spurs vs heat

only west teams to contend for that spot are
    houston and pheonix

east teams to contend
    indiana cleveland

4. Miami Flash City

Miami Flash City JBB All Day

Spurs got alot stronger they were already special and now this even better for them. Theyre already champs but with Finley in a Spurs uniform that takes away all doubts of Spurs failing to excell. I aint saying they gon be champs but theyre certainly up there and i dont doubt them as much as i used to.

5. Shapecity

I'm looking forward to Mark Cuban's blog.

6. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

ugh this sucks, I wish he would've gone to Miami.

7. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

errrrrrr
    best fit for him
    would have been the suns [​IMG]

8. DocBlaze27

DocBlaze27 JBB JustBBall Member

I'm sooo glad he didn't go to Miami. But I am surprised he chose the Spurs. It looks as if the West will be dominated by San Antonio.

9. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

The west would be dominated by the Spurs even without Finley. All the other main contenders are out east.

10. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Wow, if Nick Van Exel and Finley stay healthy for the Spurs then they are going to be even better.

11. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

Well, I don't think anyone can touch the Spurs after this. This is why as a Mav fan I wanted him traded for anything just so he would get into the Eastern Conference. The Spurs just seem too good; I don't see them losing many games this year.

12. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting playmaker14:</div><div class="quote_post">ugh this sucks, I wish he would've gone to Miami.</div>
    Ya it totally sucks that your team missed out on an aging SG despite the fact that you have Wade and Shaq plus J-Will, Toine, Mourning, and Posey. I'm glad I'm a GSW fan and I dont have to go through the struggle that your team does. [​IMG] (that rant was not directed at you playmaker but come on MIA fans, does missing Finley really hurt your team?)

That being said, I'm glad he ended up in SA so that he can terrorize the Mavs and I'm also thankful he didnt land in PHO.

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Miami still have the MLE to spend so them not getting Finley won't hurt them at all.

14. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Miami still have the MLE to spend so them not getting Finley won't hurt them at all.</div>
    Agreed, there is still some good MLE (or part of it) level players out there. Devin Brown, Gary Payton, Gerald Wallace, Jannero Pargo, Spree, Dickau, Jay Williams, or resign Damon Jones

15. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Man I thought he was really going to sign with Miami, it was almost perfect there for him. But man, the Spurs just got alot better.

16. Shapecity

I remember reading the Spurs were shopping Brent Barry. Any more truth to this Allnet? I'm not sure what the Spurs can get for him, but they always seem to pull something off. I never thought they would be able to trade Malik Rose. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded, along with a 2nd round pick, to the Hawks for Al Harrington.

17. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

i hope brent barry goes to houston so the two brothers are reunited lol that would be fun to watch. it would also boost houston's chances to get past first round.

i hoped that he went to miami so we wouldnt have to deal with him. O well

18. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

lol
    as a suns/heat fan
    finley signing with the spurs hurts

19. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

LOL I guess Fin wanted to make Dallas pay for what they did to him in the worst way.
    I'm sure he is still angry about the team that he put on the map dropping him.

I think that his desicion works out for him. He gets a shot at a chip, he can relax for once in his career, he sh!ts on Dallas, and he makes a deep team rediculously deep (gasp for breath).......................AND! his team play and personality will work well for the spurs.

GL Spurs!

20. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

I hate the Spurs!!! why do they have to be so good all the time?!!?!?

Finely also suprised me but for the worse,The spurs dont need him in any way and i think he signed just to win a championship with no effort,i wish they will send him to the Clippers and that Darius Miles will dunk on his face [​IMG]

Go all the teams in the league besides the evil Microspurs [​IMG] [​IMG]